1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Out of the 4 QBs in this years draft: Manziel, Bridgewater, Carr, and Bortles ....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by what, Dec 14, 2014.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

You really think they made that decison because of radio callers? LOL yeah they always check with radio callers before making draft picks. Maybe they just didn't think he was that good to go with their 2nd pick?

And lets not act like Carr is a franchise QB already. Way too early to be throwing out "I told You Sos". I wouldn't have mind drafting Carr either, would have been OK with any of those QBs after getting Clowney.

2. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

There are only three franchise QBs in the NFL (IMO): Brady, Manning & Rodgers. Despite different personnel, those three win every single year. It's not a coincidence. No one else is on their level.

I think Luck is next; he's the far and away best player on a roster that, on paper, looks fairly pedestrian. And he's still prone to make mistakes (as we saw yesterday). But in terms of present + future value, I'm not sure there's another QB on his level.

After that is Roethlisberger, Brees, Rivers & Romo - all very good QBs who just aren't as good as the top 4.

Wilson is just below that bunch: he's young and has talent but has yet to show he can be the best player on a good team.

After that... throw a dart: Newton, Stafford, Smith, Flacco.... Up & down QBs who flash but can't sustain it.

You can make the playoffs with any of these guys.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not anointing Carr, I'm just being honest about my thoughts going in last year. If Carr sucked I would have still said I felt he was the best one last year.

I absolutely wanted to draft Clowney or trade down for Mack. But my preference was for Clowney.

2nd round I was excited about the possibility of Carr. Garoppolo might be good (no clue). Bortles and Bridgewater might be good. But I didn't want those guys.

There are few QB's over the past few years I've actually been interested in. There were 0 two years ago and possibly 0 this upcoming year.

And I didn't mean just the radio callers, I mean the entire city of Houston. They'd be booing him day 1.

O'Brien will not attach himself to a rookie. It's coaching suicide. You attach yourself to a rookie and you're going to get fired while the team sucks developing him. If he's a stud you might have a chance. But there just aren't any studs out there.

5. htownfan80

htownfan80 New Member

Final stats from the 4 top 60 pick QB's.

Bortles: 280-475 (13 starts) 2,908 Yards, 58.9 Comp % 11 TD 17 INT 69.5 QBRating

Bridgewater: 259-402 (12 starts) 2,919 Yards, 64.4 Comp % 14 TD 12 INT (1 rush TD) 85.2 QBRating

Carr: 348-599 (16 starts) 3,270 Yards, 58.1 Comp % 21 TD 12 INT 76.6 QBRating

Manziel 18-35 (2 starts) 175 Yards, 51.4 Comp % 0 TD 2 INT (1 rush TD) 42.0 QBRating

Bridgewater went 6-6 as a starter while Carr went 3-13. Bortles 3-13, Manziel 0-2. Manziel had the most weapons (Gordon, Cameron) to work with and looked shaky. The other 3 don't have much although Oakland does have a good running game. If you take a look at all stats Teddy was clearly the best and probably the guy you want going forward (playing with an awful O-line, Charles Johnson as his top WR and Matt Asiata as his RB). Also, Carr has padded a lot of final minute TD's on his resume because of the team being terrible and him being down 20+ late in games. Bortles looked pathetic and Jags fans should be a little concerned going forward, especially since he was a top 3 pick. Manziel small sample size.

More impressive is Bridgewater’s 72.8 Accuracy % under pressure (2nd-best of 27 QBs), especially since his pressure % (40.2) is 3rd highest.

Bridgewater finishes w/ 3rd highest completion percentage for a rookie & 7th best rookie passer rating

Derek Carr finishes the season 30th in QB rating and behind Geno Smith.

I do wonder what Texans record would be if they had moved up 1 spot for Teddy.

6. htownfan80

htownfan80 New Member

Final QB stats of the main 4 guys:

Bortles: 280-475 (13 starts) 2,908 Yards, 58.9 Comp %, 11 TD - 17 INT 69.% QBRating (3-10 record)
    Bortles finishes with most passing yards by RK in Jags franchise history.

Bridgewater: 259-402 (12 starts) 2,919 Yards 64.4 Comp % 14 TD 12 INT (1 rush TD) 85.2 QBRating (6-6 record)

Bridgewater finishes w/ 3rd highest completion percentage for a rookie & 7th best rookie passer rating

More impressive is Bridgewater’s 72.8 Accuracy % under pressure (2nd-best of 27 QBs), especially since his pressure % (40.2) is 3rd highest. (4 INT were tipped,1 hail mary).

Carr: 348-599 (16 starts) 3,270 Yards 58.1 Comp % 21 TD 12 INT 76.6 QBRating. Derek Carr finishes the season 30th in QB rating and behind Geno Smith. (3-13 record)

Derek Carr finishes the season 30th in QB rating and behind Geno Smith.

Manziel 18-35 (2 starts) 175 Yards 51.4 Comp % 0 TD 2 INT (1 rush TD) 42.0 QBRating (0-2 record)

Wonder what Texans record would have been had they moved up 1 spot to get Teddy? We'll never know.