1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BS Report] Haralabos Voulgaris on Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 10, 2015.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/grantland/player?id=12656025

Starting at ~26 min

Interesting take on Harden's body type and how it is very difficult for him to be a good defender AND carry a team offensively. Suggests Houston has to pick either elite offense and bad defense or good offense and good defense.

I tend to agree, which is why I have defended Harden's energy on defense. Not sure you can ask him to manufacture just about every offensive possession and play high energy defense. Seems like it would just burn him up quickly.

2. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

Agree, Leonard is just athletically more gifted compared to Harden, plus he doesnt need to carry the Spurs offense.

But I think Harden is just more durable compared to Leonard.

3. SemisolidSnake

Can't listen to it right now, but I disagree with the notion that elite offense is tied to bad defense. This assumes that James is the entire linchpin of our defense, so if he's not defending at a high level, we're a sieve. I'd say our biggest defensive problems come from down low unless certain people are playing and also from crap transition D, which is a team mental problem.

I think elite offense and good defense is an achievable goal, but my take is that the defense can be there automatically if the guys really set their minds to it. We can be good defenders right now regardless of the offense. The elite offense is actually the thing that is questionable, because our offense is so Harden-heavy and so awkward. We don't play a good enough offensive game right now, but if the team worked better together and you add in James' contributions, we can clearly be at an elite offensive level without a tradeoff on defense. In my mind, the two are separate problems to tackle or perhaps a better offensive game would actually save more energy for defense. The offense has plenty of room for improvement.

4. basketballholic

the one thing Harden needs to work on this summer is his core. Needs to get rid of that gut paunch.

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This is the dumbest things I've ever read on the GARM coming from you, and that's saying alot.

-How in the hell do you think Harden is so elite at body control?
    -How is he able to stabilize and shift directions at such an elite level?
    -How does he take contact in the lane against multiple guys twice his size and never loses balance and falls awkwardly?
    -How is he able to play 35 MPG as a high contact player and seemingly avoid injuries to his back, and lower body?

Any meat head who has spent half a second with a real trainer will tell you that Harden has exceptional core balance and strength.

Maybe Harden's stomach isn't aesthetically pleasing enough for you, and you want him to look like this -

[​IMG]

But his look has nothing to do with his core strength. I could care less about how he looks as a male model. The guy is an exceptional athlete. Maybe not with the God-Given build of a Kawhi or Lebron, but as far as working with the build he has, he's done an impressive job training his body to do what he's good at.

If your in it for the looks, I have a sport for you.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

lol if you're worried about anyone needing to change their body its Dmo. not the potential mvp

7. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

These lazy NBA experts keep saying Harden doesn't play defense as their excuse for not voting for him. When did Curry become a great defender? Never. He gets a bunch of steals (2.0 per game) but Harden averages 1.9 as sg. So steals can't be the difference maker. I just wish they experts would stop using tired and lazy excuses for not voting for Harden.

8. dobro1229

And I get Bob Voulgaris' theory, but even Lebron James, a guy with the physical gifts as Kawhi if not more, wore down physically having to be the guy on both ends, and often with the Heat had his "Harden/2013 season" defensive moments. There are plenty of gifs out there for him too I'm sure.

Its literally impossible for someone in the NBA to do everything for their team offensively and play defense at a Kawhi type of level 100% of the time.

I'm all for the Rockets trying to hide Harden on offense, not because he's a horrid defender, but because I want his energy reserved for offense if he can do so.

It makes what Harden has been able to do on both ends this year that much more incredible.

9. dobro1229

Bob is actually a pretty knowledgeable NBA guy but he is very opinionated.

He never said Harden doesn't play defense. He was more of less sticking up for Harden's defensive game by explaining how the human body is capable of with a good/great athlete vs. a otherworldly athlete like Kawhi.

It didn't sound as though Bob had even made up his mind yet about his MVP vote if he had one. Him and Bill were pretty torn on the two ways of defining MVP.

-Best player on best team
    or
    -Guy who does the most for his team (WARP stat)

10. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Why is this guy's name written in High Valyrian?

1 person likes this.
  11. dmoneybangbang

Lol, he's actually a very successful gambler so he works at the iron bank.

2 people like this.
  12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Give him Dwights Orlando Trainers :p[​IMG]

13. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Hahaha, repped.

14. bmd

bmd Member

How strong your core is and how much fat you carry on your body have nothing to do with each other.

15. Akkuron

Akkuron Member

If I was the iron bank, I'd be careful. Dude's name is Greek.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

He is so thirsty at trying to get his foot into the door for any sort of NBA gig it's embarrassing.

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He doesn't need to work on his core. He needs to work on his cardio.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He needs to work on his post game this offseason.

As for his conditioning...yeah maybe we should get some other playmaker so we won't have to be so reliant on him.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

We don't need Harden to be a good defender to win a championship. We can hide him on the other team's lesser wings. As long as he's reasonably competent, it's fine.

We do need somebody else who can create though. That's the one aspect of Parsons' game we're really missing this season. Amazing that Harden has still played as well as he has on offense with the level of defensive attention he's received. Need to get him some help.

20. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

The way people go on about Harden's body you'd think they were confusing him with Big Baby Davis or someone like that...