1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[BS Report] Haralabos Voulgaris on Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by larsv8, Apr 10, 2015.

1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This just about sums it up.

As far as Bob; I liked his take on the MVP race. He was very upfront about how important Harden is to this Rockets team. I have no issues with what he said overall. His defense could be better but then it would take away from his offensive game.

2. ribbit

ribbit Member

Stupid Rockets athletic trainers! Can't even develop Harden's core. They should look into Clutchfans forum members to replace those incompetent trainers.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He needs to work on his mentality

Dude checks out the game easily if calls are not going his way or shots not falling

4. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

What's Voulgaris' background/education in kinesiology/sports medicine look like? I think I can make a good guess. I like some of his takes but he seems like he wants to work for an NBA team but nobody is returning his calls.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

- It seems that a bunch of folks here are focused on one single off-hand remark that isn't the focus of the Simmons-Voulgaris discussion about Harden. Voulgaris isn't trying to diagnose anything, he's just saying that Kawhi Leonard looks like a more impressive physical specimen than Harden is.

- Voulgaris also didn't say that it isn't possible for Harden to play good defense, he's saying that we cannot expect Harden to go balls-out on defense and carry the offensive burden that he does without getting worn out by the end of games.

Simmons and Voulgaris both recognize that Harden is a much improved defender this year compared to last season.

- Their main concern for Houston is that the team is so dependent on one guy to not only score a ton of points but also to create so much of the open looks for the rest of the team because a smart team with time to prepare can exploit this in a playoff series-- throw different fresh defenders at him, trap him and dare the rest of the team to make plays, get physical with him all game, and run him off screens on the other end.

The lack of a 2nd perimeter guy who can create off the dribble is a legitimate concern. We'll see if the team finds ways to address it-- I think there are some potential options to do so, but none are very good or reliable: hoping that Dwight returns to the offensive form that he was in vs. Portland last April, having Josh Smith or Terrence Jones as potential outlets to attack the basket and make decisions.

-Voulgaris actually said that he wouldn't work for an NBA team because NBA teams don't pay much to their front office staffers (other than the head guys). He said that he pays the analytics folks who work on his betting operation more than NBA teams pay their analytics staff.

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bump - This isn't something that is new.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Cliffs notes? Can't get it on my phone...not sure how credible HV is on "body types" though...only thing I can think about is Harden's APT.

8. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Are you guys ****ing serious?

No, he isn't built to be a defensive stopper like Pippen, PG, or Kawhi. He could stand to lose some in the gut, but there's absolutely no reason he cannot be an average defender.

This is just playing the extremes here, we're not asking him to do what Jimmy Butler, Kawhi, George do night in and night out. We're asking him just not to be a ****ing goof ball, and not SO bad that teams can legitimately devise an offensive strategy around his bad defense.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

anterior pelvic tilt

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I cant tell if people write this as a joke or not. :confused:

11. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Harden is in great shape for an everyday person, but when it comes to the elite athletes I think he's in ok shape.

Harden does put out a lot of energy offensively....

when he has the ball....

He doles out energy in burst. He's constantly going 0 to 100...massaging the ball then a burst of energy....instead of some other guys who pace themselves around 50 mostly with sprinkled in bursts of 85 to 90.

Basketball wise he's more sprinter than distance runner.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

try saying something intelligent at least once.

Harden't body type has been discussed ad naseum and he isn't fat.

13. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

bballaholic is soon to be our next gm. his weaving his story through clutchfans and les has been watching.

all these insider relationships, his pay for newsletter and understanding of players mentality down to the nanosecond is starting to pay off.

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

33-34 minutes is about where you'd get elite offense and good defense out of him

15. malakas

malakas Member

Is Voulgaris some kind of authority on the field of how body types affect NBA defence?

16. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

He seems like he gained weight.

Harden 2012

[​IMG]

Harden 2015

[​IMG]

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This isn't really relevant because he isn't carrying the offense either

18. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I linked all the wrong pics :| nm

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Lol those pics are from the same party he and durant threw his last year in okc.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

And those were before last year.

The problem is he's now partying with the Kardashians