1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mobile Game] Marvel Puzzle Quest

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I figured it was time to let you guys in on the mobile (Android/iOS cross-platform) game that has been sucking my life for the past four months: Marvel Puzzle Quest. It’s so good that it’s taken the place of most of my aimless internet browsing. I really only read sports news these days, and that’s for maybe 10 minutes a day. It’s that addicting.

This game is insanely good and surprisingly nuanced. It involves subtle strategy and board control. The best thing about it is that you can pick it up and play it for five minutes….well, that’s the premise, anyway. I challenge anyone to put it down after a single board.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VYogMSdPSV8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The game is a match-3 puzzle game. There are two things that set it apart: It’s a Puzzle Quest game, and there are Marvel Superheroes and Villains, each with separate powers.

The game is played like most match-3 games, but as you make matches, each character builds a colored power bar. When it’s full, you can unleash that specific power. You play matches with three vs three characters, and that’s where the strategy comes in to play. Since each character has two or three different color concentrations, you can build a team with great synergy. Conversely, you need to watch the opposing team and their characters as they build their power bars to fire off powers. And powers aren't only offensive; there are defensive powers, utility powers, healing powers, stun powers, etc. It all makes for a very deep game.

[​IMG]

To top this off, there are stories to play through as well as tournaments and weekly events. And the rewards- there are three different things you can earn. ISO-8, which is used to level up your character, Hero Points (HP), which you can use to buy more hero slots, and Comic Book Covers, which you need to expand your roster and build up your characters, as each character needs 10-13 covers to fully power up their powers. You get these rewards for completing missions and playing in tournaments and events. Tournaments and events have rankings, and the higher you place, the better your rewards.

But that’s not all. The game syncs with Facebook, and any of your Facebook friends that play the game will share in your rewards on a random basis. This encourages friends to play because they can help each other out. There are also in-game Alliances that also help you gain more rewards as there are alliance-based rewards in tournaments and events that are separate from single rewards.

[​IMG]

I could go on and on about this game, but needless to say it’s one of my top five favorite games ever. And it’s FREE. You can pay money for more HP, ISO or Covers, but you don’t have to if you’re smart about spending HP. My one piece of advice on this game for beginners is to only spend HP on roster slots. That’s not more covers, that’s the amount of space you get for your roster.

I highly encourage anyone who’s looking for a short time waster on bus rides or waiting on your girl to get her hair did to try this game out. As I said earlier, it’s on Android and iOS. There’s a PC version but it doesn't sync with the mobile versions.

[​IMG]

If you start playing the game, friend my Fake Facebook account so I can start slinging you rewards. Everyone on my Facebook is a player as well, so feel free to friend them. There are some Clutchfans members there, too.

I also have an alliance with several slots open called Hero Dawn.

If you have any questions, feel free to respond to this thread and I’ll answer them as quickly as I can.

My 'fake' Facebook profile

iOS Download Link

Android Download Link

Game Forum

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

I love this game. Highly addictive.

3. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's a good game, but I think Puzzle and Dragons is better. More skill based, and very generous in what you get if you choose not to spend any money and are patient.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Rank 135 on puzzle and dragon, currently playing two accounts on 2 devices. :rolleyes:

Crazy addictive and fairly difficult at the high end.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There goes my phone time...

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Combine a puzzle game with RPG and add the Marvel universe on top and I'm sold. I never thought a puzzle game could get deep but I get it now.

I also tried the P&D game as recommended here. Not as enjoyable but I'll give it time.

7. Xerobull

I'm going to start expanding my Alliance soon. If you're playing on a regular basis, let me know and I'll open a spot for you.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

this is not a puzzle game. There is no puzzle. Its just bejeweled or candy crush.

#8 tallanvor, Apr 19, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  9. Xerobull

AVENGERS, ASSEMBLE YOUR GEMS!

IGN 9.1 Review

A game titled Marvel Puzzle Quest has a lot to live to up to. Not for the Marvel part, but instead due to the deserved respect and love that Puzzle Quest received for successfully creating a hybrid RPG/Bejeweled-style match-three game. Marvel Puzzle Quest has taken the idea of a puzzle game with with a strategic/role-playing element overlay, and turned it into an intricately crafted, remarkably deep experience.

In Marvel Puzzle Quest, you control three superheroes who fight against up to three other supervillains/heroes (or goons, in some of the plot missions). When matched, the six colors of gems on the board grant energy that can be used for special moves, like purple matches helping Hawkeye use “Take Aim,” a skill that ensures a critical hit. Every match also serves as an attack, but the amount of damage depends on individual characters' affinity with the color – which also gives combo attacks a nice superhero fight feel to them, where Iron Man lands a punch and then Black Widow jumps in. Meanwhile, skills that offer buffs to defense/strength, or do damage over time, manifest as changes to tiles on the board, which can be matched and eliminated. Thus, the board becomes amazingly tactical – there are up to half a dozen potential considerations beyond “best match” at any given point.

These considerations also make each of the characters, and their combinations, much more interesting. The initial three demonstrate how – Storm has powerful skills, Hawkeye can clean up the board, and Iron Man does high damage and has a lot of hit points, making him a great tank (and who could have even expected a match-three game where having a tank is relevant?). Acquiring more characters and seeing how they work together adds another layer of experimentation, and becomes necessary especially while team members are healing over time.

Marvel Puzzle Quest's strategic layer is just as intricately interconnected as its combat. There are two main modes, story and an asynchronous multiplayer, where you fight against other players' teams being controlled by the AI (the multiplayer must also be the reason that it's always-online).

The story is a bare-bones affair, about a powerful new substance called Iso-8 and Norman Osborn's attempts to supplant S.H.I.E.L.D, while there are also a cycling group of multiplayer tournaments to join. These are interconnected like everything else in Marvel Puzzle Quest: you play a few story missions to unlock skills for characters, then play a few multiplayer battles to get the game currency to gain levels for them.

This combination of different game modes, ways to upgrade, and forms of currency all fits in with the monetization strategy of the free-to-play Marvel Puzzle Quest. If you're careful about spending your currency, you can play entirely free, although there can be a bit too much repetitive grinding when redoing plot missions. Spending money may be unnecessary, but its time advantages are readily apparent.

THE VERDICT

What all of Marvel Puzzle Quest’s interlocking mechanics add up to is a game that's compelling at each level. Fighting other players, advancing the plot, managing character health and progression all happen at once, and all mean that there are constant challenges and goals to work toward. Marvel Puzzle Quest doesn't merely meet the expectations of its name, it exceeds them.

10. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Here is a good beginner guide for Puzzle and Dragons:

http://pad.wikia.com/wiki/New_Players'_Guide

Lots of new players don't immediately catch on that compared to puzzle quest, puzzle and dragons lets you keep stringing together color combos only limited by the timer and your skill. Different leaders give different bonuses for different types of combos. For example here is a Ra team doing one of the tougher dungeons that features no healing orbs. Ra requires matching 5 different color sets of 3 or more at once to activate his damage bonus.

[youtube]heyB2RR-Nts[/youtube]

Early game guide
    midgame guide
    Late game guide

http://www.puzzledragonx.com is also useful for figuring out event schedules and looking up specific creatures or dungeons.

11. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

My timewasters are Asphalt 8 and Injustice.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I still play brickball

13. Xerobull

Won the Hotshot tourney last night; it was really close. I've consistently placed in the top 10 in tourneys I've played in but this was the first win. Got my first X-Force Wolvie cover, two Punisher covers (which I don't need), 3000 ISO-8 and 100 HP.

[​IMG]

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Started playing this. Don't understand everything that is going on but am having fun.

15. Xerobull

In the prologue, you play vs villains but sometimes you play vs non-player-characters like HAMMER soldiers that don't match tiles. They instead get x amount of a certain color tile and then use their powers which are countdown tiles. When the countdown reaches 0, their power activates. You can match those tiles to kill the countdown. It's a mechanic to teach new players how to match tiles.

16. Yonkers

How do you level? I had Hawkeye but never used him. Next thing I know I was prompted to level him. He went from Level 1 to Level 10 without me playing him at all. Iron Man, who I used the most, was still only Level 7 while the others were 2-4.
    Also, I picked up Venom but he has no tiles on the board with a web icon. Is it because he's a villain? Why did it let me choose him then?

17. Xerobull

You level your characters using ISO-8 (purple crystals), which you get for defeating levels. On the bottom-right hand corner of the main screen, click train. You will then see all of your characters. Click on one (I suggest Iron Man) and click little the Raise Level button.

Levels are capped based on how many 'covers' you have- a fully 'covered' character takes between 10 to 13 covers. So for example, you need 13 covers to fully level Iron Man to level 50 (his max). His powers are red, yellow and blue. The covers have a little colored flag on the side indicating the power color. On the same Training Screen, click the 'train powers' button. You will have two choices- use covers or use HP (gold). NEVER USE HP.

On that note: Only use HP to buy new characters slots (not new characters). The game is fairly balanced and gives you what you need to play. You -can- spend real money but you don't need to.

Sometimes the game will give you a character to play if you don't already have it. These pre-determined characters have a specific level. To further confuse things the game will sometimes 'buff' certain characters, denoted by a purple crystal, which makes them temporarily more powerful. You can always check your own characters by looking at your roster.

As for Venom- the web tiles come from his purple power: Symbiote Snare. It's a stun that gets more powerful the more covers you put into it. So you won't see web tiles until you use Symbiote Snare. Web tiles apply to Venom and Spiderman; if there are 6 web tiles, Venom's black power, Devour, will instantly KO your opponent and use up the webs. Later in the game, Spiderman will use the web tiles to heal (he's a three-star character where Venom is a one-star; the lower the stars the more common the cover drops). Venom and Spidey can use each other's web tiles.

18. Yonkers

OK. So it sounds like I was able to level Hawkeye because I got lucky on cover drops and has nothing to do with me actually using him. That makes sense.

19. Xerobull

His level won't go up unless you spend ISO on him. His level cap will go up with covers. IIRC, the initial characters (1-star) start at lv6 the first time you get them, 2-star at 15, 3-star at 18 and 4-star at 30. I have 1-star characters with 13 covers at level 1 because I never use them but have the room in my roster.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This game doesn't play nice with Android batteries. Can't play offline either.

Fun game if it didn't cripple my phone