1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The girl with the mattress

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, May 22, 2015.

?

What do you think?

1. The girl is right - the guy raped her

3.2%
  2. The girl is a psycho ex who is trying to take revenge

52.4%
  3. I detect bias - need more facts

44.4%
  1. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

This was actually the sparkpoint for what has admittely been a near pointless debate fueled partly by incredulity.

That really threw me off, if I'm going to be honest. But I guess at this point anything ATW says is in-bounds from diminishing sexual assault statistics, to making aspersions on my person (including implying I had a mental disorder. class)

I'm glad that we're talking the meat of the statistics/methodology though: ATW tried bringing up DOJ reports then had no handle for how they systematically underreport for rape. Then he resorted to calling out of bounds.

In between, there was

1) conflation between rape and sexual assault
    2) some attempt to address the actual merits of one study, and examine what campus culture about sexual assault ACTUALLY is after a lot of people tried discrediting stats on sexual assault.
    3) lots of personal muck
    4) a lot of thread policing AFTER the fact of jumping and trying to find random flaws in sexual assault data because ???

anyways. good day to you.

#141 Northside Storm, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The other lol factor in this thread -- there is currently only one single vote supporting the girl -- from trustme, who carries a personal beef with ATW.

3. andersongo

andersongo Member

Triggered. LMAO
    And people should stop spouting those bogus statistics that has been roundly criticised by DoubleX from Salon.com of all places. There is no strict definition of incapacitation nor coercion. Self-reporting leads to selection bias. Limited scale means that generalisation is not possible since only non-homogeneous portions of the student population are being studied. That SJWs will cling to those widely decried studies show how bankrupt the "rape culture" narrative is.
    It's also interesting how social media is throwing an intriguing light on such "she said/ he said" cases. Thus Mattress Girl told Nungesser "I love you Paul !!!" and "*** me in da butt" AFTER the alleged rape. Kinsman was caught rooting for her alleged rapist on twitter during Winston's coming out party against Clemson and Pitts 10 months after the alleged incident. The more you look the less you see.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That came before I even stated how I view the issue, though.

5. Northside Storm

right, because on a topic that's really about preventing the presumption of guilt before innocence and the court of public opinion, it's really a yes/no kind of situation where the more people who think she's a psycho, the better it is.

and these days, who doesn't have personal beef with ATW? ;)

6. andersongo

andersongo Member

We don't presume anything. "*** me in da Butt" will remain etched on the internet forever for all to see.

7. Northside Storm

^ This is the purest embodiment of the self-designated "opposition" to sexual assault stats in this thread.

"But no matter how many victims speak out and no matter how many studies underscore the realities of their situations, there will always be people who will continue to believe that rape isn’t that big of a problem, that women regularly lie about rape and that any efforts to reduce the number of people who are sexually assaulted will do more harm to accused rapists than good for victims and potential future victims."

No mention at all about sexual assault being devastating beyond a spurrous "rape culture" is "bankrupt".

Can only be bothered to generalize from 2 anecdotal cases.

Definitions vary slightly because of state law differences, but there is a pretty damn close concept of these words across different states.

Stanford

UVA

Bloomsburg

Illinois State law defines sexual assault as:

10 U.S. Code § 920 - Art. 120. Rape and sexual assault generally

Studies are operationalized to reflect those definitions. That they vary by the content of the law does not mean they vary much by the spirit as many universties will take their cue from state or federal law.

Is this an example?

That's 1 in 4 rapes right there.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ial-rapists-evade-antiquated-campus-responses

NISVS is a great target for this.

SAMPLE SIZE: 16507 in 2010.

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/nisvs/summary_reports.html

"The more you look the less you [choose to] see."

#147 Northside Storm, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  8. Northside Storm

Is that proof enough in a court of law that she was never raped, never placed in a situation where she did not consent?

#148 Northside Storm, May 24, 2015
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You completely fail to understand who has the burden of proof in a criminal case.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

...but not before the "defendant" in this matter was identified as German.

11. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Setting aside statistics, do people actually think that rape is a problem in this country or that it's just something a lot of women make up like this girl did?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think pretty much everyone realizes that rape along with all violent crimes are a problem not just in this country but in the world.....and since it's such a serious problem, it makes lying about it THAT much worse.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

What Bobby said. It's a problem everywhere in the world, and worse in some countries. That said, every claim has to be evaluated carefully and in a way that protects everyone involved until proven guilty.

15. Remii

Remii Member

So lying about rape is worst than someone being raped... Smh. I feel sorry for women with the way some of these men think. Disgusting.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In a lot of ways it is because it disrespects all actual rape victims while victimizing an innocent that will likely carry the stigma of being a rapist for life even after proven innocent.....or worse, he can't prove it and ends up in jail.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The word you are looking for is "worse" and no, that is not what I said. The way I understood it, he was not comparing the two.

What bobby actually said:

The more serious the crime, the worse it is to falsely accuse someone of it (e.g. accusing someone of murder is worse than accusing someone of theft).

What Remii heard: Falsely accusing someone of rape is worse than raping someone.

[​IMG]

Remii's IQ must hover around 70.

No wonder that this dunce reads conspiracy websites and believes everything he reads there, as long as it is anti-Jews and pro black supremacy.

#157 AroundTheWorld, May 24, 2015
  18. andersongo

andersongo Member

What does "inability to behave rationally means" and how does one set about to prove it? In criminal court this is usually settled by forensic evidence of alcohol levels or GBH and not by subjective assertions clouded by booze when answering ridiculous self-surveys.

And LOL at that Lisak study.

19. andersongo

andersongo Member

Also, Mattress Girl and the Winston's case are not "anecdotal". They, along with the UVA fiasco, were massively used as the "face of rape culture" by activists. Now that those cases have back-fired, we are to silently drop the issue and focus on the larger fight against "rape culture".

Why do I care? I, after all, do not live in the US. But I have friends that do. And deceitful propaganda eventually has important consequences in real life as shown by the attempt to propagate kangaroo courts beyond the crazy confines of academia:

http://lcbackerblog.blogspot.com/2015/05/sexual-assualt-at-american-law.html

In the near future, people may well be required to film themselves having sex just to be on the safe side.

P.S: I initially became interested in the "rape culture" phenomenon when a friend from Oklahoma first told me about the UVA fiasco. He said that he knew that the case was bogus from the start. When I asked how he happened to come at this conclusion against popular opinion, he confessed that the sex on broken glass scenario is a popular fetish among the female members of an online literotica community that he visits "from time to time"......Well, there you have it....Just a little nugget of info for those who might swing that way...;)

20. Remii

Remii Member

You would have to explain to me how it's disrespectful to "actual rape" victims... And the rest of what you said is not comparable to "actually being raped."

The stigma this kid has is on him. No one forced him to engage with that female in the 1st place. He should have been home reading his bible... Or he should have read Robert Beck's (aka Iceberg Slim) books if he wanted to be a pimp. Either way it's his fault he got caught up rather the girl is lying or not.