1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PG Jerian Grant

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by htownbball, Mar 8, 2015.

1. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

I mentioned in the other thread I thought Grant was a worthy target for the Rox pick.

2. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I like Grant But I'd take a look at Terry Rozier from Louisville as well.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

With the 32nd pick, yes.

4. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

I'm no scout, but the handles Grant shows in that video amazed me (the double-ball drill).

5. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

By the time draft night arrives, Rozier may have risen into the 1st round.

6. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His stock has fallen a LOT for some reason (maybe emergence of Payne and Jones). He was #13 or 14 before on draft express. He's now at #21. He is #18 on nbdraft dot net. Guys, we may be able to get him without trading up.

7. malakas

malakas Member

steve Kyler said that he said some insane things in the combine. Didn't explain what exactly.
    BTW nbadraft.net is the least reliable of the mock draft sites.

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would love to know what he said.

Also, I think PGs have a tendency to fall once it gets closer to the draft. Since teams can play 2 posts, 2 wings, and only 1 PG, along with the fact that over 1/2 of the NBA have starting PGs, this is likely not a position of need for most.

9. alethios

alethios Member

He's a combo guard, and he has the height/size to be a wing player too. Very versatile which is coveted by teams.

10. newAge_Rockets

If we need a guy to contribute next year I think we have to try and get Jerian Grant. He's gonna be 23 by training camp, and his age showed in college basketball last year. He comes in very polished with a high basketball IQ, he's an excellent and very willing passer, he can knock down threes, he played multiple years in college next to a point guard where he had to play off ball and create situations to score and he's also played the role as the primary ball handlers.

Pick this dude or Booker, but I think Booker would need a year in RGV because he's just so young. Grant could give us what we need...next year. As long as McHale plays him.

11. Remix

Remix Member

Will he even be available at 18? From some of the comments in this thread he sounds like a sure lottery pick

12. newAge_Rockets

Nah, almost every mock draft has him in the 16-21 range. I think his position+his age keeps him from being a lottery pick.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Now, Grant. Later, Booker. With our current window we need help now so Grant make more sense.

14. basketballholic

Nothing but net.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Kt3ZN4Q0HwE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like a SG to me though. I've been pretty down on his shooting ability. Have to admit this is impressive. Can't see him defending points.

15. newAge_Rockets

He's definitely not a true point guard, but I think he'd just be perfect splitting time with Harden. When he played alongside a true point guard, he was able to spot up and shoot 41% from 3 point land. When he was asked to create as the primary ball handler, he's proven that he can attack and also get his teammates involved.

He also models his game after Harden and it showed if you got the chance to see any Notre Dame basketball this year. He's very apt at beating his defender, getting in the lane and kicking it out to the corners. He's also a good finisher. This dude could help us next year. He is the answer.

16. basketballholic

1. How do you explain his low shooting percentages?

2. What do you do with him defensively? (I don't think he can check anybody.)

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Grant's advanced metrics are pretty crappy compared to Payton, Dunn, and Rozier.

18. alethios

alethios Member

Hmmm, looks familiar. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=9802628&postcount=16

19. NicktheBrick

NicktheBrick Member

Regarding "advanced metrics" bear in mind if you watched Grant play this year you certainly became biased. He was a man among boys and was the best player on the floor, by far, in every game of theirs I watched. That does not necessarily correlate with NBA success, but it makes it difficult to crawl into metrics-only mode.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Watch Morey pass on him and he make us regret it like Kawhi.