1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Comic Book Movies Run Amock

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Oski2005, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I love comic books and most comic book movies, but Hollywood is looking to squeeze every last dollar from the recent trend until it is absolutely dry. I can already see that people will get annoyed as more and more comic book movies are popped out

2. Oski2005

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Bulletproof Monk looks God-awful.

4. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

What the hell is The Teen Titans? They've been around since 1964??

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

They don't even get the "big name" comic book hero movies right most of the time. What makes them think some crappy obscure teen force is going to sell when the big ones are flops?

Anyone else think Hulk is going to suck?

6. Oski2005

I don't think that it is a comic book movie, but yeah, it looks extremely stupid.

Ever hear of the Justice League, or the tv incarnation, the Super Friends? They are just like that, except it is Robin and a bunch of dorks.

Other comic book movies that are definately coming out;

The Punisher- with Thomas Jane- the guy from The Sweetest Thing and Dreamcatcher

Ghost Rider- With Nicholas Cage

Catwoman- Halle Berry might take the lead. Originally, it was gonna be Ashley Judd

I've also read that some dude who heads Marvel's production company wants to do Iron Man with, get this, Tom Cruise.

I would like to see the Punisher, that Dolph Lundgren version sucked. The other movies go into the "overboard" catagory. By the way, WB is still trying to bang out Batman and Superman movies.

7. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

The Teen Titans aren't really obscure. They're a DC Comics team made up of teen sidekicks like Robin, Wonder Girl, Aqualad, Kid Flash and Speedy (Green Arrow's ward). In the 80s, those characters were joined by Starfire, Cyborg, Raven and Changeling and the series rivalled X-Men for popularity. Some of the best superhero comics ever. But I'm sure they'll find a way to screw it up. There hasn't been a good DC Comics movie since Superman II.

8. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

those are some kickass names there. :D

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Oski, I read somewhere that it was a comic book...can't remember where though (Maxim or Premiere).

10. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I can readily accept your analysis of theater productions in Houston vs. other cities, but if you thought the original Tim Burton Batman wasn't any good, then you're smoking something.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The Road to Perdition was pretty good as well.

12. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I could see Tom Cruise as billionaire playboy Tony Stark. Better than Eminem as Batman.

BJ- you didn't like your 1989 movie?

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Top 5 superhero movies:

1989 Batman (only gets better with age. Jack Nicholson's finest role)
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (best 80's fad ever)
    Superman 1 (Christopher Reeves IS Superman)
    X-Men (Cast members fit their roles perfectly)
    1966 Batman (C'mon - "shark repellant bat spray"?? How can you not love that?)

14. Oski2005

Oh yeah, they call that a graphic novel, I don't know the diff, probably that they are a one issue book as opposed to a series. The recent Jack the Ripper movie, From Hell, was based on a graphic novel as well. Same goes for the ridiculous Sean Connery movie coming out, The League of Extrordinary Gentleman, or LXG as they are trying to promote it.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I saw the trailer for that...it didn't look too bad.

Maybe Bulletproof Monk falls into the graphic novel category.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'd have to replace X-men with spidy. Superman I think is #1 and Batman is number 2. Both really captured the essence of the comic. So did Spiderman, IMHO.

17. Batman Jones

You're right. I'm smoking a Kool. And it's delicious.

This may come as a surprise to some of you, but I've been a pretty huge Batman fan since, like, 1972. There were rumors and promises of a Batman movie going back at least ten years before it got made. There were certainly great things about it, and the two Burton movies were incredible compared to the pap that followed, but they were ultimately disappointing to me. I hated the rubber suit and the way he looked fighting in it. And I thought the script was weak. The Batman story's up there with Hamlet for me and, having read Frank Miller's Batman: Year One with the excellent David Mazzuchelli ar, the movie was a let down. Especially after the first two Superman movies which were actually better than anything that'd ever been in the comics.

I have to admit to having a problem with Tim Burton movies in general. I think they're among the most beautiful, coolest looking movies ever but I almost always hate the thin scripts. Nightmare Before Christmas is the prime example. I've only seen maybe half of his movies, but the only one I've loved was Pee Wee's Big Adventure.

I have great hopes for the next Batman (if it ever gets made). The script's being written by David Goyer, an excellent comic writer who also wrote the Blade movie, which I never saw.

18. Oski2005

You know who is set to direct? Christopher Nolan. I don't know which story will be made, I hear different things all of the time. Frank Miller was writing a script for Batman: Year One, but it looks like that got scrapped. WB bought the rights to both Batmanthefrightening.com/net". But the other day, I heard the a WB exec was quoted as saying they still want to do Batman vs Superman, but the plan is to to origin movies for both of them that will be part of a trilogy and that they would lead into BM vs SM. Anyways, if it is gonna be called Batman the Frightening, that could very well mean that the villian will be Scarecrow, the perfect movie for Christopher Nolan to direct. To me, this move would be similar to getting Singer to do the X-Men movies. BTW, I also own a copy of Batman: Year One. Damn good story.

19. Batman Jones

Yep, Christopher Nolan will be excellent. Latest is he's directing the Goyer script. As I understand it, there's also still a Year One in development based on the Miller script, to be directed by Darren Aranofsky (PI, Requiem for a Dream). Both pairing sound very exciting. Superman v. Batman I could do without.

20. Oski2005

It all depends on how SM vs BM turns out. I had seen a cartoon movie that came out pretty well with the Joker and Luthor pairing up. I heard somewhere that the story for this movie would be that BM gets married, his wife is killed, he goes after the killer, SM has to stop BM from killing the guy. That doesn't work for me because I don't think BM would try to kill anybody.

BTW, have you had a chance to read Miller's "The Dark Knigth Returns"? Superman is a total tool, working with Luthor who pretty much controls the US with a hologram president who reminds me of a terrible cross between Reagan and Heston.