1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Andre Johnson signs with the Colts

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Mar 11, 2015.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Really unfortunate for Dre... And to top it off, 10 years from now there's a chance that he may not be considered as the greatest Texans receiver or even as one of the team's top three players. (Hinging on whether or not the QB situation is solved within the next couple of seasons.)

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

That's fair. And true.

I honestly don't think he had much of a reputation nationally (beyond fantasy football nerds, like myself). Compare his status to JJ's and it's not even close. He was a quiet, diva-less WR in an age of loud, diva WRs who never had any big moments on a national stage. He's one of the more anonymous good players of the past 15-20 years.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think that Calvin Johnson prevented Andre Johnson from ever getting that big. I mean, sure he had a few years as the best WR in the game....but then Megatron happened.

There's no one anywhere close to JJ Watt and that's why he's where he's at.

4. Hey Now!

It may not take 10 years...

First 3 seasons:
    Johnson: 208/2,806 (13.5); 12 TD (45 g)
    Hopkins: 239/3,533 (14.8); 19 TD (48 g)

And Hopkins was WR2 (behind Johnson) his first two years. Johnson - if he were to retire right now - would be HoF-eligible in 2020, Hopkins' 8th year. Johnson will still hold every team receiving record by then - but barring any unforeseen downturn, Hopkins is going to be hot on his heels, especially if they land a QB better than '13Schaub/Yates/Keenum/Fitzpatrick/Mallett/Keenum/Hoyer/Mallett/Yates/Weeden, which is the trash Hopkins has been dealing with for the entirety of his career. He's never played with a QB as good as '03-'04 David Carr, let alone '08-'12 Matt Schaub.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

While true, this is one of the saddest things I've ever read.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm just reading this now :)

My older son, who posts here some now, would die if he read this. He hates the Colts. Loathes. Hates.

He would disown me and run away if I bought him anything Colt related at all. (Not that I ever would!)

7. Hey Now!

BTW, this crap here.... Look, Matt Schaub is not going to the Hall of Fame, I get it - but he was a very good QB during 'Dre's prime years ('07-'12): a 16-game average of 104/1,517/8 - and that's with both missing significant time due to injury. And, generally speaking, a *better* QB likely doesn't target him 130 times/season because they have enough skill/confidence, etc. to not have to rely on their best WR to bail them out on a consistent basis.

Andre Johnson played in a offense that maximized his opportunities - he wasn't catching 115 passes/season before Gary Kubiak/Matt Schaub arrived.

That narrative, to me anyway - I just don't buy it. I think it's a pissy revisionist's wet dream, that he somehow thrived with subpar QB play. DeAndre Hopkins has thrived with subpar QB play. Andre Johnson thrived with a well above-average, for lengths great QB.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I was just about to write this post...thanks for saving me the effort!

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Great career for Dre. If only he could have had an elite Qb in his prime.

10. ab0_bleedred

ab0_bleedred Member

BRING HIM HOME

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To Miami.

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Is this the same Colts team that wasn't bringing back Pagano?

13. underrated015

underrated015 Member

the grass is not always greener on the other side dre. still one of my fav. texan tho. go to new england.