1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Hackenberg - Your quarterback of the future

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Jan 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I seem to remember taking another one year wonder of yesteryear. That's gone swimmingly.

I don't mind flyers in later rounds... Clowney''s disenfranchised me though from taking players in early rounds where they had a great year x seasons ago followed by mediocrity at best.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Since so much attention is put on the size of the QB (height, weight, stature, etc).

Of the really good QBs in the league, how many don't look the part?

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Brees, Wilson. Rodgers and Romo are 6'2" and may be considered a little short.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Many do look the part, but the underlying theme of your comment remains.

There are pre-requesites required. Can actually throw a decent NFL pass. Has enough size and athleticism to (i) stay healthy and (ii) make reads.

But once the boxes are ticked - and then can be ticked by QBs in various molds - the clear most important traits seems to be reading the defense and pocket awareness.

I'd still try to do whatever I could to get Goff. He seems to tick all the boxes and have really solid pocket awareness and footwork. It's not clear how great he is at reading the defense since it was not an NFL style offense he ran ...

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Christian Hackenberg to the Texans; I’m putting that in dark pencil until I hear otherwise, even if that means mocking it in round one for now. From people close to the Hackenberg family and from what I’ve heard of the Texans decision-making dynamic, it’s too perfect of a fit. The Texans need an NFL-ready quarterback, and Hackenberg showed #1 overall promise with Bill O’Brien as his head coach. I have been told Connor Cook-Bill O’Brien connections in the past, and I can’t entirely rule out that connection either.

http://optimumscouting.com/scouts-notes/state-of-the-draft-wentz-team-matches-connor-cook-woes-stanleyoakman-concerns-much-more.html

6. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Don't compare college stats from the last 10 years to players from the 90s and 70s. It doesn't take much to have decent stats now.

Also, Savages freshman year is very similar to Hacks junior year. Savage actually got better despite being on a totally different team his third season as a starter.

Hack? He got worse because he couldn't handle being in a new system.

I'm not a Savage fan, btw.

I can't see how Hack would be any better than him though.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hack might as well have been on a different team. Different system. Less scholarships, which meant the talent around him was rapidly diminishing.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Brady, Russell Wilson, Cam Newton, Drew Brees, and Rodgers all look and play differently. Tall, short, lean, stocky, fast runners, stuck in the mud, loud mouth, quiet leaders, etc. The only thing that is common is that they are good at what they do and they are able to lead their teams to victory.

9. Fantasma Negro

I'm starting to slowly get on board with Hackenberg. I keep hearing a lot about his physical tools and how he's the perfect fit for O'Brien's offense. My biggest issue is accuracy, there are a lot of stats that don't carry over from the college to the pros but one attribute that usually does is accuracy. He says he's working with qb gurus (Carson Palmer's qb coach) to get his timing down to fix this so we'll see. Bill got us to the playoffs with Brian Feaking Hoyer at qb, Hack will be his raw clay and Bill Obrien sat on this mans coach and told his parents he could get him to the nfl, he may be the best one to coach Hack to his full potential. Here's hoping

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

He's working with Jordan Palmer, Carson's brother. I don't know if Jordan's necessarily a QB guru in the way that someone like George Whitfield is considered to be, but he was working with Blake Bortles during his draft prep.

11. Two Sandwiches

He's been out to Whitfield's place a few times, I believe, and is pretty good friends with him.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Seems that most coaches, execs are split on him..no middle ground. Bad system last two years for QBs. <a href="https://t.co/huJfYWQkF9">https://t.co/huJfYWQkF9</a></p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/700524544130416640">February 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Franklin refused to coach to his strengths, so execs trying to get background on everything. Interesting prospect. <a href="https://t.co/huJfYWQkF9">https://t.co/huJfYWQkF9</a></p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/700525169022992384">February 19, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. Two Sandwiches

I'm thinking there will be probably a handful or two of teams that have him as a first round rating, and the rest probably have him as a late 2nd to early 4th round pick.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If any team has him as a first rounder and wants him, I think it's likely that they try to trade up in front of the Texans. I wouldn't really be on board with Hack in the first because I don't think he's worth it, but I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that it is going to happen anyway.

15. Two Sandwiches

I'm worried that that is exactly what will happen. You are absolutely correct. I think any team that may want him will try and jump the Texans. And if we don't take him in the first round, it'll be the same thing that happens in the second. That's why I think if we want him, you either take him in the first, or trade back and then take him late first.

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

IMO, QB'ing in the NFL boils down not to any one trait but in the QB's ability to adjust to his passing window decreasing - and all that entails: smarts, anticipation, arm strength, guts.

That's why spread offenses in college are so detrimental to a lot of these guys, IMO - not because they don't learn to read defenses, or operate from the shotgun, or any of that - but because their WRs are running wide open into spaces that disappear at the next level. In the NFL, you have to know when your receiver will be open (based on the route he runs and the way the defense defends it) and anticipate that he won't be open for long. And when is he open, you have to have the arm strength to hit that already closing window, as well as the guts because "open" in the NFL looks light years different than "open" in college.

That's why finding QBs is so difficult because that's not something you can find out until you're live.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

According to PFF's Steve Palazzolo, Penn State quarterback Christian Hackenberg, a player some observers believe your Houston Texans could select as early as the late first round of the 2016 NFL Draft, shouldn't be drafted by the Texans. Or any team. At all. In any round.

After declaring that the 2016 NFL Draft contains eleven (11) draftable QBs, Palazzolo lists six (6) signal-callers he believes are UDFA caliber. Of Hackenberg, he writes:

"Looks the part" is the nicest thing that has been said about Hackenberg the last two seasons, and we’re not really sure how much that’s worth. The on-field play has been subpar by every measure, and most point to 2013 as the glimmer of hope in Hackenberg’s upside. We are in the process of going back to grade every play from that season, but the last two years of evidence that saw him rank among the worst quarterbacks in the country is not encouraging.

By way of comparison, Palazzolo deems Paxton Lynch a second or third round prospect and Connor Cook a player fit to be drafted somewhere between the fourth and seventh rounds. Hackenberg is joined as a potential UDFA by Jacoby Brissett and Dak Prescott, two QBs who some have speculated could be a fit for the Texans as early as the second round or, in Prescott's case, could be comparable to Tyrod Taylor in the right situation.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/02/18/draft-round-by-round-ranking-of-2016s-best-nfl-qb-prospects/

18. thejav

thejav Member

If the Texans draft Hack or Cook in the 1st 2 rounds..i'm done..ill go back to not watching for a few years again..

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Asschin selecting a QB because he likes him & knows him...stop me if you heard that before.

Hackenberg & Asschin = more of the same.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hack would still probably be better than Hoyer on day one given that Hack is a QB. I mean, if someone is a QB then odds are pretty good that they'd be better than Hoyer no matter who they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.