1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

It'd be cool if we could pull off a trade to get Conley and Whiteside for Howard and others. Conley would be a perfect fit at PG next to Harden and Whiteside would fill in nicely for Dwight this year. The only hole I see is the Heat would have to send Dragic to Memphis and surely the Heat would want a PG in return in the deal.

2. dje243

dje243 Member

While I suspect his max contract expectations are misguided and unrealistic there's this narrative out there that Dwight is basically completely worthless and incompetent. He's actually having his best season since his injury. His usage is just down. I think this narrative is out there just to drive the asking price down. GM's tell all these talking heads that they have absolutely no interest and he's just garbage etc.

3. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I think this all works out.

Trade players outside of Harden and Dwight. Get a real coach in the summer.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Sometimes I wonder which GMs are paying these sportswriters to take the negative angle to another level.

5. dje243

dje243 Member

Yeah it wouldn't surprise me one bit. If Dwight didnt have that opt out this wouldn't even be discussed. He may take a huge dive in coming years but he certainly hasn't taken a step down his season. If anything he's looked better every year since his injury.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have to trade him, he doesn't fit, and he is going to leave in the offseason for nothing.

DD

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree but I disagree with him leaving In the offseason, he would be dumb as **** to opt out. I want him gone so him opting IN doesn't handicap this team

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

15-18 mil is too much? If we can get Dwight locked up for 15 mil, i'd rather keep him. Those writers acting like he's completely faded away like some Shawn Kemp or Vin Baker. Idiots. Dwight is still one of the best big men in the league. Big defensive anchors will always be valuable. The league is moving away from guys like him? i see Deandre Jordan and Andre Drummond, Whiteside like players thriving all over the NBA.

With that said, i don't and will never like his immaturity, but there is no reason why he can't be the third best player on a championship team. I also don't like Harden, but i know he can be a great #2 on a title team. We just need a true #1.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i'm not a big fan of Dwight too. That said, i saw a lot of ass kissing early this season on Drummond, but hey, "Dwight Howard is basically useless now", lol those espn dudes are just turribul.

10. Madano

Madano Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h9syewg

Memphis (IN): Dragic, TJones, Chris Andersen
    Memphis (OUT): Conley, Randolph

Miami (IN): Howard, Beverley, Ariza
    Miami (OUT): Dragic, Whiteside, Andersen, Deng

Houston (IN): Whiteside, Deng, Conley, Randolph
    Houston (OUT): Howard, Beverley, Ariza, TJones

Why does Memphis do it? Conley is expiring and they could use a more offensively minded PG in Dragic. Randolph is aging and TJones shows (albeit wildly inconsistent) potential.

Why does Miami do it? They want to get rid of Whiteside and Dwight is an upgrade. Dragic has not worked out and Beverley is on a really good deal and would work well with Wade just as he has with Harden. Ariza might be a slight upgrade over Deng, but Ariza is signed through next year on the cheap whereas Deng is an expiring. I really only included Deng and Ariza for salary matching purposes, I'm sure there are other ways to make the trade without the two.

Why does Houston do it? We don't want to pay Howard the max and his fit here is questionable. Conley fits really well next to Harden and is the real get here. Randolph is a solid PF and can help fill that large void for Houston, ultimately coming off the bench when DMo (hopefully) gets healthy.

11. nono

nono Member

DeAndre Jordan knows his limits and plays as such. Howard does not. Hence all the feeds in the post when he should be restricted solely to pick and roll on offense.

12. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Conley is a better offensive player than Dragic. Chris Anderson is cooked

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Part of deandre's free agency mess was him wanting to be involved more on offense.

1 person likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I've been saying the whole time, there's no way we're trading him. This is Fegan making noise, maybe the Rockets humored him.

He is more valuable to us - even if he doesn't play another game this season - than he is to anyone else who has that many assets to trade. He's useless to building teams, unattainable at his salary for contenders.

We're going to keep him and I think there is huge value in re-signing him once the market determines his price. If we get him for $15m, we're in great position to add another star to Harden and get this ship moving again.

I think we're more likely to deal Corey Brewer at the deadline. We could trade him in the summer, but his value is more likely to go down than up if we keep him. Plus, the season is lost so we might as well give those minutes to McDaniels and try to turn HIM into a better asset. Maybe he even shocks us and demolishes all expectations and turns out to be an improved Brewer off the bench. That would be nice with an ageing Ariza.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Howard will be traded IMO. Someone will think he can push them over the edge.

I personally am watching The Cavs.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

Oh absolutely. I am aware and i've been wondering how he can still be so immature and not do what is right for the team. We know Morey has told him a billion times that the PnR is where he makes his money, but Dwight for some reason thinks he is Hakeem.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...pg-wolves-ricky-rubio-trade-article-1.2531542

18. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Coaching is a big reason this team doesn't seem to comprehend pnr is the money maker that would make this team unstoppable. Also the point guard position isn't Steve Nash worthy. Rockets need a guard who can make a pass.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it's coaching in this instance, although the coaching has been terrible. The bigger problem is that the only competent ball handler to run the PnR is Harden. We thought Lawson might be able to, but he's terrible at it.

20. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think it was reported before that Dwight wanted more post touches and less PnR so i think this is all on Dwight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.