1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The highest ranked defense of a D'Antoni team is 13th...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 19, 2016.

1. bmd

bmd Member

These are the defensive rankings of his teams through the years:

'05 Suns: 17th
    '06 Suns: 16th
    '07 Suns: 13th
    '08 Suns: 16th
    '09 Knicks: 23rd
    '10 Knicks: 27th
    '11 Knicks: 22nd
    '12 Knicks: 5th (offense 17th)*
    '13 Lakers: 20th
    '14 Lakers: 28th

He did have one weird season in New York in 2012 where the team finished 5th in defense and 17th in offense... the complete opposite of his usual teams. He only coached 42 games that season and Mike Woodson took over. So maybe that has something to do with it. As a side note... the first full season of Mike Woodson, the Knicks won 54 games and got to the 2nd round of the playoffs.

If we throw out that anomaly of a season in 2012, Mike D'Antoni's defenses average 20th in the league.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Doesn't matter.

Les likes offense and more Phoenix-like.

Les owns the team.

Les chooses the coach.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

We don't need no stinkin' defense, right James?
    [​IMG]

:grin:

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

one campaigner ruining the best rocket talent wise I've ever seen with crappy coach after crappy coach.

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this coaching selection is James Harden-Approved.

[​IMG]

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

this has meme's written all over it

7. rockets13champs

Those NY and LA teams did not have the right players for Dantoni. Melo is not even close to Harden i dont know why people compare the two. Harden is a great passer something melo and even kobe are not. And dwight howard in LA did not work under dantoni because post players dont work in it. U need a stretch 4 and 5. I think this team can suit dantonis system. Harden is the right player for it. And to an extent the warrior run this system too. Kerr ran it in pheonix. So thats as close to gsw you can get.
    Dantoni with mike woodsen is what im seeing. I think it can work. Even tho i prefer him to be an assistant i truley believe morey will be doing most of dantonis work. Dantoni will just be calling plays.
    I really hope players respect him.
    Expect us to go for pick and roll bigs and a pass first pg like ish smith.
    We will score 120 a game but if we get defense right and are even middle tier on that we can give up 110 a night and still win games

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure he got fired in that '12 season.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

D'Antoni is an innovator. He doesn't follow the norm of hand-on-chin coaching stance.