1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lakers interested in JVG?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dwhite, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dwhite

dwhite Member

Just heard that JVG is on a short list of candidates to be interviewed by Lakers (along with Walton & Messina) to replace Byron Scott. This is per the USA Today.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm interested in JVG.

3. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Jeff Van Gundy goes Hollywood how about that good for him.

4. conquistador#11

i've never seen JVG coach a team without a big man. should be interesting where ever he goes.

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No Jeff! No!

6. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Lakers are in a worse predicament than us, of course they're interested lol

7. dwhite

dwhite Member

If the Rockets lose Wednesday we should be fine, otherwise the Lakers may put pressure to grab JVG before the series ends. He seems loyal and something may be in the works with him and Morey behind the scenes, but if not it would be a huge loss for the future of the team. Not many quality defensive minded coaches out there who can change the ways of Harden.

8. rockets13champs

i think the lakers hire Ettore Messina and that will be an amazing hire. Lakers finally get it and the rockets still dont. Hire Ettore he will change our franchise into a winning one

9. Sanity2disChaos

His affiliation with the spurs is well respected and challenges JVG appeal.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Havent heard him linked to us at all. I want hire him also.

11. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Kings & McHale in talks for coaching job as well.

Somehow I think we'll end up with JBB again next season. Just watch Morey do a press conference... "we believe in JBB and what he brings to the table".

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Apparently there just aren't a lot of qualified NBA coaches...????

I mean I get Thibs. Recent serious success. Let go because of personal clashes with ownership. Team regressed after he left.

Brooks? JVG?

What's the appeal? That they're better than JBB? So is a broomstick.

13. ibm

ibm Member

what has thibs done that makes him stand out of all the available candidates? why's he special?

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Prob because he's a team USA coach and led an injury fill Bulls team to the playoffs every year for the past few seasons.

Don't know if he was the best candidate but def has a very strong appeal and background.

Was also an assistent on bostons chip team and orchestrated their defense.

15. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Messina has only been with the Spurs for 2 years...

It's not like he's Budenholzer there for 17 years..
    Shyt why not go ahead and get Becky Hammons, she's been there the same duration

And if you want to go off Euro league accomplishment, might as well get Blatt.

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

LOL...

17. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

You would think Walton has to seriously be considered there and I'd be surprised if JVG would go to such a young rebuilding team like the Lakers.

18. dwhite

dwhite Member

Just heard today he is niw considered the lead candidate for the job. The Lakers have a ton of cap space and could rebuild rather quickly with the right coach. Rockets would not do well with inexperienced Messina or Walton, just because of the teams overall immaturity. They need somebody they fear and respect. Look at how LeBron treated poor David Blatt and he is more mature than our stars.

19. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

The Lakers barring horrible management could be very good in a couple years. They have some good young players, they've got a Top 3 pick this summer, and they've got a buttload of cap space and the lure of playing in LA. Assuming JVG doesn't mind presiding over a rebuilding project for another season or two, that's a good gig.

I disagree that the Rockets need a big name coach they'll fear and respect. Only because this current team won't be here next season. It'll be Harden, Bev, Ariza, Brewer(only because he's untradeable), Beasley, Capela, McDaniels, Harrell, and Dekker. Half of those guys are very young with little-to-no playing experience in the NBA. They just want minutes and will respond to almost any coach who's hired. Now we do need someone Harden will play hard for, but I don't necessarily buy that it has to be a veteran head coach. There are assistants out there who I think could be successful.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I agree somewhat but can you name some of the assistant coaches your referring too?