1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where does the Seahawks Defense rank all-time?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Mr. Space City, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Mr. Space City

In an era where offense are more advanced, quarterbacks are putting up historic numbers, and defense are put at such a disadvantage because of the rules, where are they compared to the greatest defenses in nfl history.

number 1 in almost all defensive stats in the league to finish the season holding the "greatest offense of all time" to 8 points while scoring 9 points, where do you rank them?

2. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Best defense since 2002 buccaneers for sure.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That defense is pretty sick. Not quite Bear's level but you could argue that it's equal to any other team like the Ravens or the Bucks.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Texans own them if not for Schaub

Signed,

That Texans honk

5. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

they expected Matt to hand them the game...litterally...so they werent even worried...

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If the Bears defense was the standard...

This team is quite close to defensive secondary perfection. Every player plays as a living breathing unit. They play for each other and play with reckless abandon. I love it. I havent grown up in an era of dominating football so the closest comparisons i have are the bucs and ravens...and i think that this unit is better than both of them...

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Michael Bennett: &quot;we're the best defense since the 85 Bears&quot;</p>&mdash; Will Brinson (@WillBrinson) <a href="https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/statuses/430186488715022336">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They can't Super Bowl shuffle

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Best defense I've seen in a while, especially the secondary. The line is tremendous too but I think the linebackers are just a bit above average though they played well tonight. They're not in the Bears class I don't think. A physical running game with great tight ends that can get down the field is the way to attack them.

12. Buck Turgidson

It ranks in the top really-damn-good percent.

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

probably like the GREATEST OF ALL TIME

14. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

In case no one saw I posted a stat up here that was mind blowing.... The Seahawks gave up 19 punt return yards the entire SEASON. 10 of them were to Ted Ginn in week 1... 9 of them came over the next 15 games.

The Broncos were in a lose/lose situation. Would've been the same result even if it were the 49er's/Broncos. A big, physical team can dominate any great offensive team with a weak Oline. This is the pedigree you have to go to now if you want to win. Can you imagine how many teams would've been thrilled to have a high powered offense like the Broncos had? The truth is, you can't match up if thats all you have.

Seahawks D = Broncos O
    Seahawks O > Broncos D
    Seahawks ST > Broncos ST

In order for Broncos O to be effective, the Oline needs to give Peyton time. This was an impossible challenge, thus this is the result you get. Blowout city.

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm not old enough to have watched the bears, but this is the best defense I have ever seen in my lifetime. Especially with all the rule changes, I never thought we would see another bears like defense again. Their secondary is unreal. They have 4 or 5 corners who would start over EVERYONE on the texans, and non of them were top picks.

Maybe the running game, but kam chancellor shuts down tight ends better than anyone I have ever seen in my life

16. TexasStake

TexasStake Member

Gotta admit though, either the Seahawks system fits its players perfectly OR they just hit the jackpot with their draft picks. I mean Russel Wilson I believe wouldn't be AS effect on a team with a weak running game. Richard Sherman was a late round pick, so was Kam Chancellor. Funny thing about Kam is you could say he is about the equivalent to a Sean Taylor and Sean was taken in the first round. Kam is first round talent and first round size. Let's see how many of these players they can afford to keep. Somethings got to give. Either they'll lose a muscle or two in their secondary or on their Dline.

17. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

The cap will save the NFL from the domination coming from the NFC West in the next 4-5 years. All 4 of those defenses are really good.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Schaub was gig'n em pretty good man. You cant almost get Schaub'd and be considered the best all time.

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

That has to be the best secondary ever.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

What's crazy is that Brandon Browner, a starter for the secondary, was sometime during the season. Either before it started, or before like, week 5. I can't remember.

That prompted Byron Maxwell to start in place of him. And the Seahawks didn't lose a beat.

The "next man up" mentality (Maxwell, MVP Smith, etc) is ridiculous in Seattle. When a 7th round pick on the defensive side of the ball wins the SB MVP, that's depth.