1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Getting good grades in college.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Oct 22, 2002.

Tags:
  1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I am convinced that how well you do on non multiple-choioce tests depends on your instructor, how well you get along with him and obviously his grading policy. Most prefer multiple choice tests, but now I'm beginning to see the other side.

I had a one essay test in Mex-American Lit which I was convinced I bombed. I'm not being false-modest here, I wanted to drop the class. I usually like to reread my work, but I felt my essay was so poorly written that I couldn't bear to reread it again. It was horrible and honestly, I've written better essays in junior high.

I ended up getting an A. As I suspected, he was a very lax-grader. This was the second time this has happened to me. The other time, I wrote a late night paper that I felt was so bad that I wasn't gonna turn it in. I made an A on that as well.

So, to you aspiring college students (I'm basically done), listen to what your peers say when they say "so and so is easy." It is very true.

Has this ever happened to you guys though? Think you bombed it, but you get an A. I literally thought I deserved a 65 or so. Of course, it's happened the other way many times.

2. kbm

kbm Member

Well, usually professors take into account that 1 to 1 1/2 hour essays wont be of great quality. They tend to look at what you said rather than how you said it. Multiple Choices test are just the opposite. You must circle the right answer. The problem is that many times professors who give multiple choice test tend to darken their questions and answers by shade and degree. Then they tell you to chose the best answer. Often, one word makes the difference in these test. The professors that give these tests, I think, intentionally make the wording crazy b/c they THINK multiple choice tests are too easy in any other form. I myself would rather have the essay test when I get one of these professors!

3. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Last year (senior year high school) i had to take a science 11, since i hadn't taken one yet. So i decided to take biology 11 so i could get my science credits to graduate academically.

The teacher was a new guy that semester and he never had a clue how to run the class. He just handed out stuff and never bothered teaching it or checking for completion. He literally made up our grades off of the top of his head (participation, homework)...and everybody was failing all the tests. So the final came and i never had a clue what it was gonna be on and quite seriously i didn't give a damn, i'd already given up on that class as i had 45% or somethin.

On the exam...multiple choice, i honestly only knew 2 answers of the 180 questions. I knew i failed and i just didn't care. 2 weeks later the final report card came in the mail and it said that i got 80% on the final. Yeah f***ing right!!! I talked to other people and most people were positive that they failed as well, but they ended up getting 75-80%. It seems this guy boosted the marks somehow to make it look like his class was at an average mark, so that he would stay another year. And guess what, HE'S STILL THERE this year! (thank God i'm not ;))

Oh yeah, and i was wonderin about another thing, i really don't know why he let me pass. During the year I:
    a) put glue on his seat (and he sat down, he doesn't know who did it).
    b) flooded the room with about 4 inches deep of water (long story, he doesn't know who did it)
    c) pissed him off with stupid comments.

So, i'm really not sure why he let me pass...but i'm sorta glad he did even though i have no respect for him (and he prob doesn't have any for me).

4. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

go to class, listen, read the book, do the hw, study = A

5. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

also can be explained as:

long hours of torturous leactures, no time to stare at that hottie in class, reading a bunch of stuff that will only make you a nerd instead of going to that chicks house party, doing a bunch of work instead of playing x-box or posting on clutchcity.net, studying for hours instead of sleeping = A

6. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

i agree 3814

7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

There's an old saying I like to say:

Going to UT was the best thing to happen to me.

Leaving UT was the best thing to happen to me. :)

Translation: Not as much studying and more free/party time

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Gates, Dell, Branson.....you aint need no stinkin sckool.

9. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

A better alternative:

be GOOD friends with a person who always go to class, who listens, read the books, and do their homework and study = A

Remember, to goal of a college student is to: Get the highest grade with lowest effort! :D

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I was just talking to my roomate about us graduating in 5 years and wondering how it crept up like that.

Oddly enough we have a midterm on Thursday.

Hey, the Angels are winning...

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

If you or a close family member needed emergency surgery, would your statement still apply?

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

"Hi everybody!"

"Hi Dr. Nick!"

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Kobe, Paul Mitchell, Pablo Escobar......you aint needz no stinkin skcool!

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Think we will be adding Leon Smith to your list anytime soon? Does Sam Bowie qualify for your Income HOF?

You either have one horrendous ego or are totally ignorant of the odds of someone obtaining the incomes of a Gates, Dell, or even a Bryant. Perhaps you are ignorant of both.

And you know what they say -"Ignorance is bliss". :p

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Or perhaps he's just joking around?!? :p

16. PhiSlammaJamma

My keys to college:

1. Get copies of old exams... you learn 10x faster and 10x as much as you would normally.

2. Study in groups that contain smart people.

3. Make sure you have an equal balance of fun and study

4. Don't waste your first year. It will come back to haunt you.

5. Don't worry about grades. College teaches you how to think and how to be social. Those two things will carry you much further than anyone with good grades.

17. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I don't how good advice that is...maybe it depends on your field of study. There were several jobs I applied for after college where they wouldn't even look at you if you didn't have a 3.0 or above. It's definitely true that grades matter less and less as time to moves on (they eventually won't mean anything), but if you're looking for a job right after college, from my experience, the GPA helps tremendously.

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

DC, you're an engineering guy right? I think grades matter in the more technical fields. In communications, experience and personality count more.