1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN-Insider] Parson's team option...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, May 4, 2014.

1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

So the big rumour is that the a Rockets are going after Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Love & have a possible interest in Rondo...or as chatter has it, two of the above...Parsons is the key to any potential trade involving Minnesota or Boston.

I haven't heard of interest in Parsons from New York although, believe it or not, after suffering through Raymond Felton's poor play many fans & the front office are high on Lin, not only for the exposure, but also for the off chance that Linsanity could return to the MSG.

It would at least distract the fans from the rebuild that is coming...

So do what do we do with the sexiest man in the NBA? I really like the guy & his potential, but if it means getting Melo & Love, Melo & Rondo or Love & Rondo, do we pick up his option now then trade him, or do we lock him into a decent contract while he's really good but not great yet?

Thoughts...

2. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Keep Parsons. Give him his 8 million a year.

3. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Wait, someone do the math - but it's impossible to get TWO Pieces - as in Melo and Love or Rondo and Melo, or Love and Rondo - as IzakDavid suggests, correct?

4. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Trade him

5. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

No its not

6. N/A

N/A Member

I think it's pretty clear that the team is in love with the idea of superstars and will do anything to attain them. Parsons, Lin, and Asik are probably gone and they'll get one of the big names in return.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We have no choice, but to gamble for Love or Carmelo.

8. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

NY aren't going to want Lin with Phil in charge, perhaps before but this is like Toronto wanting Nash after Ujiri was in charge. Just no

As for Parsons, I'd certainly send him off fpor Love with Brewer back, Brewer is overpaid, but he's a good defender and plays what limited offense he's capable of only to what he's not horrible at (corner 3's and rim runs) to at least be reasonably efficient.

9. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

No, not if we do a sign. & trade of Parsons...it means that we'd have to sign D-Leaguers, vets at the minimum & gut the roster...but if you could put pieces around this:

Dwight
    Love
    Melo
    Harden
    xxxx
    Daniels

Or

Dwight
    Melo
    Harden
    Daniels
    Rondo

You take the chance.

It will also help us off load Casspi, Cisco, Powell & Ham who have done basically _________...

Does New York do it? Hell yes, it's New York.

Does Minny do it...maybe, if Love wants out bad enough.

Does Boston do it? It depends on what they get in this years draft & on the Free agent market...although I don't see any Big Names rushing to join Crash Wallace in Beantown.

10. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

What role do you think Lin can fill in the triangle? Consider who is running that team, the coach and system he wants for a second...

11. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Poor Parsons. From almost-3rd star on a contending team to trade bait.

He had his chance to cement this place on this team but he blew it. I guess Morey's daughter is over her crush as well.

Pick up his team option and then include him in trade packages.

1 person likes this.
  12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

bye parsons. your brand will grow big in NYC. model boy

13. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Yeah I say send him and Lin back to NYC. They can probably watch broadway shows together?

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

excellent point. perfect place for an aspiring fashion model

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i dont know too much about the cap but i dont think even with all minimum players that is possible.

3 max players and rondo???? sounds nice but

16. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I can see Parsons scoring 22 PPG in NY and as for Lin i think he will succeed with him being the # 1 ball handler again as long as they don't sign a ball handling 2 guard.

Lin and Parsons are a good fit together and would thrive in NY.

17. BuckeyeRocketFan

BuckeyeRocketFan Contributing Member

Does the job that Asik did against Portland increase his trade value? I think he had a great series.

The issue with Lin and NY was always the Luxury tax and the fact they would have had to pay 15M for this year against the cap PLUS pay 15M or double that in tax too due to the matching rules. If they traded for him now, he is only 8M against cap and Luxury so should be much more doable, particularly since they have to send $$ back to get him. For them, I think the 7M over his cap hold they would pay is a drop in the bucket.

I think we take the approach of being clear to Parsons that we will sign him to the big deal next year when he has Bird rights. But we sign the option so we can get that third player. I think we try to get Melo, Love or Rondo and keep Parsons.

To make the dollars work, you would have to do something like Melo for Lin, Asik, Jones and filler. Unless you include both Lin and Asik, we can't make the $$ work. For Rondo or Love, we could get away with only sending one.

18. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would like a Parsons+Asik package for Melo or Rondo, this series showed how important Asik is, but sadly he wants to be a starter and will leave the team eventually.

Right now this is a team that has no problems scoring, but we need a true stopper, Parsons is no key piece to our starting five the way he's been playing this season.

You can get defensive wings for cheap, so getting a star for Asik+Parsons and then adding a defensive wing via trade or FA is the best option imo.

I'd love to get Rondo and a coach that has the guts to coach Harden and tell him to play off the ball, we need better ball movement and someone handling the ball instead of Harden.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

A lot of people don't know this cause it rarely happens, but the Rockets are now actually open to making trades with teams that have been eliminated.

Which makes this year more interesting than most when it comes to offseason trades due to the Parsons contract.

The Rockets could send a memo to both Boston about Rondo, and Minnesota about Love saying that they could have until the end of June to trade for Parsons and decline his options, make him an RFA, and sign long term on a decent contract which could be very appealing to Boston, and has a chance at being appealing for Minnesota if they have given up hope on Love (which doesn't sound like the case).

With the Knicks its a bit different, but I don't see them making a decision on a S&T with Melo until free agency actually begins, and I think they more than the other teams would benefit more from clearing cap out, than adding a "decent" player on a "decent" contract. New York most likely sees them as a cap clearing team for 2015 more than a team looking for pricy players.

Regardless, the NBA hates the idea of trades while the playoffs are going on, and typically there is some radio silence until the draft combine, so I don't think its likely the Rockets make moves, but in this case the timeline for picking up Parsons option or declining makes for an intriguing phone call & proposition for both Boston & Minnesota.

20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

OH Gosh I am salivating right now over this, I know it is very unlikely but man I Morey pulled that off he would be a legend.

Whose team does it become though??? I think Howard should be the leader he has shown many times in the playoffs that he is the leader these other guys haven't proven anything in the playoffs.

Cannan could hopefully develop into a 3pt shooting PG and focus only on defense and shooting the ball and then we would have an amazing 3pt shooting team where we dump to Howard and when the double team arrives anyone that recieves the ball will be a 40% 3pt shooter (harden's shoot will improve because he will get so many more open looks).