1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royce White!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is on my Morey-get-her-done list.

2. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Yes he looked very good. Really good handles and passing ability. He was the best player on the floor today which is quite impressive considering the talent that Kentucky has.

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Rolls Royce White is a beast; loved seeing him take it coast to coast and throw it down. I would LOVE for the Rockets to get him.

4. Carl Herrera

The guy has really some impressive skills for a 6'8'' 270 lb PF.

By the way, the Rockets should have some extra insider info on White, given that his college head coach is...

[​IMG]

who played for and worked as an Assistant GM with

[​IMG]

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Yeah but the insider info is his got this anxiety disorder that makes him exhausted when he flies. His gramps drove him to Kentucky to avoid the anxiety attack. Thats a major issue but this kids got off the wall energy. Great handles great passer great rebounder great hustler below average shooter and out of control with a high turnover ratio and no hops. He could be another Chuck Hayes type player off the bench. The type of guy you like at the end of the bench. He seems a little psycho, but he has some similar skills to Twill but with heart. Still I think his I think he is a Moneyball type player that could be had with a middle second rounder and surprise.

6. Carl Herrera

Interesting about his anxiety disorder. Also read about the legal problems that forced him to transfer from Minnesota. The question I have (which hopefully Hoiberg knows) is how concerned a pro team really should be about taking this guy.

As for his draft position, Jonathan Givony at Draftexpress.com had him projected as a late 1st rounder for 2013 but tweeted today that White helped himself significantly today in terms of the draft. So, perhaps he will come out for 2012, but who knows. If the Rockets gets that Dallas pick (21st-30th) or is able to buy a pick, I'd consider him (though there are, of course plenty of talent in this draft).

7. Carl Herrera

Seems Royce White and Fred Hoiberg are close:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...tate+Cyclones+sports+-+DesMoinesRegister.com)

8. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Very intriguing prospect, I love his skillset. Best comparison Ive seen for him is Not Fat Boris Diaw, but if he can ever develop a quality jump shot his ceiling is ridiculously high. He's gotta keep his head on straight though, too, and who knows if he'll do that.

9. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Wow I wouldn't have projected him that high with his anxiety disorder and legal issues. If flying is that big of a deal for him that his Grandpa had to drive him from Iowa ro Kentucky got to wonder about how he's going to handle flying 3 times a week in the NBA.

Still I really do like his energy and he is young developing a 3 will almost defintiely happen. Leonard did it and almost no one believed he could. I think almost everything he does will transfer to the NBA. Plus we have insider access with Hoiberg to get the real skinny. I see no reason why he can't play the 3 in the NBA. He's a much better passer and has better handles than Morris. He actually could turn out to be what he hoped to see in Morris. So I agree, I like this kid and as a late first rounder I would take a look.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

He sounds intriguing.

Unless that was a misprint earlier, projecting him as a SF at 270 lbs is odd; seems like he would have a hard time keeping up with SF's.

Unfortunately, he sounds like an undersized PF at 6'8, but we've seen that is easier to mitigate than the lack of SF quickness at 270 lbs.

Thanks for posting this info in here as this is the only time of year I follow college ball in anticipation of the NBA draft.

11. Carl Herrera

He actually looks more like Fat Boris Diaw. But he hustles.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

No highlights posted?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AdYRh5oEJ4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He's lacking the height you want to see in a power forward, but he looks bulky and gets a lot of praise for his versatility. Top recruit that ran into problems with his first college (Minnesota) and that could contribute to bumping him down, but he's really contributing. I could see Morey following him closely.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Two more inches and I think he's a top five pick. He looked damn good against Kentucky, that's for sure.

14. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

IDK ... As it stands now, we're going to have three 4's on the roster next year with Donatas Motiejunas coming over. The only way I see us drafting a guy like Royce White, is if either Morey believes he's an upgrade over our current 4's (unlikely) or if we move one of either Scola or Pat in a trade on draft night.

15. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Does he really have Boris Diaw handles?

That man has the best handles for an NBA big.

16. soupman

soupman Member

There is no NBA comparison to Royce White. He is much stronger than Diaw, with legitimate interior footwork on both offense and defense. He can pass like Diaw and a younger Antoine Walker, but knows his shooting range better than those two. His handles are fantastic for a big man. I think it would be a mistake to play him at the 3 if the club has a legitimate center. He would create tremendous mismatches catching the ball on the perimeter if he could improve his jumper and he has the body and skill set to play defense against bigger power forwards. And that motor...

17. Carl Herrera

See the highlight posted by Clutch? The man has high level handles.

18. Carl Herrera

Remember, the Rockets don't give a damn about positional needs when it comes to the draft.

19. asmith8266

asmith8266 Member

The guy isn't a power forward. He's a point guard. One who creates a HUGE mismatch for opposing teams. It's funny people are bringing up Diaw because when he first came to the league with Atlanta he played point guard. That is until he got fat as hell.

20. soupman

soupman Member

White will not play point guard in the NBA. The NBA point guard today is too quick and he would be killed defending man-to-man on the perimeter.