1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Grizzlies @ Rockets 2/20/2012

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2012.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Um, no.

Most of the posters who think Gay is good realize that he’s about a Danny Granger level talent, and Granger happens to be better than KMart. Don’t get the Grizzly fan who thinks he’s comparable to Durant mixed up with rational posters who think he’s a nice player that would be helping the Rockets a lot right now.

The Gay haters, on the other hand, come up with hyperbole that Rudy Gay is a “below average player” and Chandler Parsons is better than him. I see why the Morey fanatics would say a young Shane Battier is better than Rudy Gay though.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I don't think Gay is an all-star or anything, but I'd rather have him as a starting SF than Martin as a starting SG.

3. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I think it could potentially ruin our offensive flow.

More shots to one player, less touches for guys like Lowry/Scola/bench.

Martin can score similar production (points wise, everything else is a wash) on points much more efficiently (less attempts). That is why he fits in this balanced attack style so well imo.

4. BleedRocketsRed

In terms of Defensive +/- numbers from 82games, Gay hurts the Grizzlies team defense when he is on the floor more than Martin hurts the Rockets team defense when he is on the floor. Unfortunately, both hurt their team defense.

Is it really that ridiculous?

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I will be curious to see Hollinger's writeup on Gay's defense next year.

Gay has declined on several stats, like TS%, assist ratio, and getting to the line.

Hollinger:
    "To become an All-Star, the next step for Gay is to work more 3s and free throws into his scoring. His secondary percentage of 7.8 was only 48th best among small forwards"

So much for that. Rudy is taking fewer threes and getting to the line the least number of times since his rookie year.

To me, Rudy is one of those guys who doesn't get it.

6. nadman89

nadman89 Member

Rudy Gay is a SF that makes more than lebron , kmart is an efficient sg i really dont think the two could be compared although anyone who thinks kevin martin is all round better than rudy is on crack he is overpaid but its for a reason i would rather have joe johnson than rudy gay cuz rudy gay i think i saw a hollinger metric stat where he was the alround worst 1 on 1 defender in the league in 2010 so we agree both martin and gay are terrible at defending so thats a wash , rudy gay does that alot of low percentage shots and rarely gets to the line whereas kevin martin has always been high percentage , heres where the difference comes rudy gay can create his own shot and that does make a difference down the stretch when defenses become more compact whereas kevin martin rarely can make his own shot they are two diff players two diff positions , but at half the price im content with kevin martin rudy gay would kill ur payroll he doesnt deserve that much . just a sidenote of the overpaid i think joe johnsons price tag is more reasonable than gay's jj has been an allstar and a great defender too rudy gay hasnt he just seems too stupid and has low bball iq just like josh smith i would rather have neither martin nor gay i think they deserve to be on lottery teams , i still stand by the battier trade it was logical i absolutely hate rudy gay

7. BleedRocketsRed

Two sentences! :eek:

8. durvasa

Martin plays most of his minutes with Lowry, Parsons, and Dalembert, 3 of our better defenders.

Look at the Defensive Efficiency On/Off for our starters (negative is better, from basketballvalue.com):

Lowry: -5.5
    Martin: +5.3
    Scola: -1.5
    Parsons: -3.3
    Dalembert: -4.6

You think its just a coincidence that Martin is the only starter for whom the Rockets defense is worse in his minutes he isn't on the floor?

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

How do Rudy Gay's numbers stack up against the guys he play with? He is a +9.2 defensively, even though he plays with Allen, Gasol and Conley.

10. BleedRocketsRed

Gay plays most of his minutes with Gasol/Allen/Conley.

Not exactly weak defenders.

From 82games (unfortunetely, basketballvalue does not work for the Grizzlies on my computer. Not sure what the deal is):

Per 100 Possessions Defensive +/-:
    Conley: -0.4
    Allen: -4.2
    Gay: +9.2
    Gasol: -10.5

11. Mr. Clutch

Looks like he's regressed.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^ Wow, I had no idea Gay had gotten that bad on defense.

Can't beleive there are still people clamoring for him.

13. durvasa

The owner of basketballvalue.com is employed by the Grizzlies.

14. nadman89

nadman89 Member

Whats the point of complete sentences , run-ons are the best

15. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Kevin Martin isn't improving either and I would still take Gay over him.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Parsons is not the best defender.... I am shocked.

17. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

Looking at stats only, Parsons is a rookie facing superstar after superstar at the SF, which is probably why his numbers are lower than Lowry, also because alot of PGs don't score as much as the SF, regardless of superstardom or not. I would still say without a doubt Parsons is the best defender in the starting lineup.

18. what

what Member

Why are yall so preoccupied with Gay? Isn't this a rockets board. Conversely the grizzlies fan don't care a lick about Bowling ball. Yall are funny.

19. Mr. Clutch

Well no one could possibly argue that Conley is better than Lowry.

20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hey!!! Don't we have a game tonight???:confused::confused: Sixers???