1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fast Food Workers Strike 'For Our Dignity'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocket River, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carl-gibson/fast-food-workers-strike_b_3833188.html

Rocket River

2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

$76 per week, and he has a cellphone.

3. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Good luck with that. Now your hours will be reduced to 1/2 of what they have now, and the McRibs will get cold.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Heaven forbid his company have a way to get in contact with him

Rocket River

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Yes, tell your kid he can't have new shoes. How hard is that.

Here is an idea, don't have 2 kids by the age of 25 if you don't have the financial means to take care of them. This guy takes no responsibility for not being able to provide for the children he brought into this world. Must be McDonald's fault, the people who offered him a job which he accepted because he thought it was worth it to him.

1 person likes this.
  6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

An article where I don't really feel that sorry for the people.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Yeah, the phone itself isn't anything to complain about. Could be a cheapo prepaid phone.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Min wage should probably be bumped to $8.50 or $9.00. Also, this article forgets that McDonald's is a franchise. Forcing a higher min wage doesn't technically impact corporate profits. It would only start to impact corp profits when less profitable McDonald's restaurants start to close down due to higher labor costs.

Also, I did see this story from earlier in the year.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/02/27/news/economy/minimum-wage/index.html

That said....these people are working at MCDONALD'S what do they expect? If I continued working at a bowling alley or a shoe store for the rest of my life I would be broke as hell too.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm as liberal as they get but these people need to strive to improve their skill set. They do a job that requires no skill. What do they expect? Strive for an education. If you can't afford it, join the military. It doesn't have to be something as hardcore as Marine Infantry. Join the god damn Air Force and be a paper pusher for four years. BAM! Free college education! The only people who should be working these non skilled jobs are high school and college kids.

10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Good for them.

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That is unfortunate, but these aren't the type of jobs you're supposed to support a family with. When I worked at the Kemah Boardwalk I made $5-somethin/hour as a games attendant. For that reason, it was only 16-18 year olds who worked there. I don't know any adult who applied to there with the intent of supporting a family.

I have a feeling that those who walked out and preferred $0 to $67 will simply be let go. Unskilled labor is easily replaced.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So, the guy's last paycheck was $67 and he makes $7.25. Raising his pay to $14.50 (for example) will only raise that paycheck to around $135. That's not enough to raise 2 kids on either. Seems like his hours are more of a problem than his wage. If he's only working 15 or so hours a week, that won't cut it regardless of his hourly rate.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sadly even if they raise the wages it will mean at least 1/3 of these people will be without jobs. It's always been work more to pay overtime or just slash hours than to keep more staff.

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

While I agree they should enhance their skill set it is kinda hard when you are working 60-80 hours a week, possibly have kids, and can't pay for courses. So cliche but we have to invest way more in primary education. It would be interesting if they could make government run trade courses for free... Heck even colleges now, very elite ones are offering some courses online for free.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

For some reason that part of the article didn't sink in. It looks like Beijing only worked 9 1/4 hours last week. I think Beijing should look for another job.

16. CometsWin

McDonald's made $5.5 billion in profits last year off of minimum wage labor. If that labor can organize for better wages then they should. That the wages have not kept up for inflation is ridiculous.

I've worked at McDonald's and while you may call it low skill labor that's the hardest damn job I've ever had.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

McDonald's is largely a franchise model. They make money off of their franchisees. The franchisees are the ones who employ the workers at their restaurants not McDonald's the corporation. McDonald's largely made profits off their franchisees....not min wage labor.

18. CometsWin

So what? They couldn't sell franchises if they weren't profitable. I don't think I've ever seen a McDonald's close down, it probably happens but they've expanded like crazy in the last twenty years.

19. bongman

bongman Member

20. CometsWin

I think it's way more complicated than that.

My brother is a mechanic so he works a blue collar job. He only gets paid for when he's actually working on cars though he must be at the shop from 8am to 6pm Mon-Fri and 9am to 1pm on Saturday. He could be there all day on 95 degree humid ass days and not a make a cent if there are no cars to work on. Also, he doesn't get benefits. No vacation time and no health insurance. He's married so luckily he gets health insurance through his wife's plan. That's your blue collar job for you.