1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate Kevin Martin's defense thru the first 5 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by robbie380, Feb 27, 2010.

?

Grade Kevin Martin's defense

1. A

11 vote(s)
    3.4%
  2. B

76 vote(s)
    23.2%
  3. C

145 vote(s)
    44.3%
  4. D

50 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. F

45 vote(s)
    13.8%
  1. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't think he has played particularly bad on defense. Certainly not a standout, but I don't think he has embarrassed himself at all. Adelman seems to do a good job at "hiding" him on defense so he doesn't get exploited either. What say you ClutchFans?

2. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

He isn't a good man defender but he is good at getting into the passing lanes, he is willing to take charges.

At 6'7" 185 lbs, you are probably not going to be a lockdown defender.

3. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Entire Rockets team defense has been poor to average. Made to look worse by a hot shooting Jazz team tonight. Rotations will get fixed, the staff is too good to not shore up those issues.

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Passable. When Battier or Ariza are in the game to guard the best wing, he does just fine.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's also a guy that's going to spend a ton of energy on the offensive side, so you can't really expect him to be a lockdown defender on the other side of the court.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He isn't really a liability unless it is a good player.

If we had Ariza and Yao on the floor no one would even notice his mistakes, and if we had Lowry and Ariza, and Yao on the floor he might benefit from their defensive play.

7. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Mediocre-ish. He strikes me as a player who will conserve energy for his offensive game. So on the defensive end he will half it. But I love his offensive game, with Yao and Martin next year we can live off the line.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

Good enough for an elite offensive player imo. He does as much as T-Mac used to defensively and is far more efficient offensively.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'm sure he would have tried to stop Jamario Moon from getting a wide open layup

10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He is VERY good at the offensive, so he can get away with playing mediocre defense at best. :rolleyes:

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Ha ha! :grin:

12. Entropy

Entropy Member

He has good deflections and gets a steal every now and then. B- for a guy of his epic offensive skills.

13. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

Just defensively? He hasn't been good..

14. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

We didn't bring him in for his defense; he does just fine for the spot he's going to play on the team in the future, which is a C. We don't need any more from him specifically, just better team defense.

Bringing in Martin is not the reason the team defense has collapsed, either...that would be the successive losses of Lowry, Ariza, and Battier, three of our best defenders, from a defense that was already iffy thanks to lack of deterrent for slashers.

15. elindio23

elindio23 Member

once yao comesback martin and riza will gamble on steals more, and get more

16. Hball

Hball Member

Yao gets fouled but we all no he doesn't get calls.

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm going to give him an A because I can.

18. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Why do you guys talk about his defense so much. LIke the Rockets said over and over again, they brought Kevin Martin here for his offense. He's not here to play defense. Do you guys want us to get another Shane Battier type player? Even if his defense great and his offense sucks, you guys would complain about how much he sucks on offense.

So no more talking about his defense. His role on this team is just to score. Not waste much of his energy on defense. That's why we have Shane and Ariza. The Rockets use Battier and Ariza to play defense so Martin can focus his energy to score.

Von Wafer sucks at defense and his offensive skills is not anywhere near half of Martins offense and you guys never seem to complain about him.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I am gonna vote F, just because his overall grade in the poll seems too high. He is probably about a D but I really couldn't care less. I don't understand why a player that exclusively plays offense is looked down upon, but a player than exclusively plays defense is praised.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

To answer your question, let's look at Ryan Bowen.

No matter how much effort he exerts on offense, he will be horriffic.

But his level of effort had, in fact, made him a decent defender.

What I'm trying to say is that defense is far more dependant on effort than offense. Before you state the obvious, I am aware that defense is not exclusively limited to effort and that offense is partially dependent on effort.

But in the grand scheme of things, Defense is probably 60% effort and 40% skill, whereas offense is 60% skill and 40% effort. The numbers wilol be adjusted up and down and you may not agree with them.

But just to put my overall thought into one sentence... More people believe that good defense is a better indicator of effort than those who believe offense is a better or equal indicator.

Therefore, someone like Shane Battier is highly valued. He apparently does everything well, and can hit 3's on offense, which also makes scoring easier for others (spacing). Now I'm not a big fan of Battier myself, but you get the idea.

In reality, we need both. We need one guy who can defens and score a little. Another guy who can score and defend a little. Ariza and Martin may be just that. Brooks, however, has to be sent to the bench IMO in favor of Lowry. We need Brooks to have offensive freedom, plus we need Lowry's playmaking, foul-drawing and defensive skills in the line-up when Martin is playing. Brooks' ability to penetrate and sink 3's is negated by Martin's presence, and can be called upon in case we want to use two penetrators.

I think Yao, person X, Ariza, Martin and Lowry will be a good defensive team that can score at will.