1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Buying a truck

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tmacfor35, Nov 26, 2014.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Limit 40K

What is your preference and why?

I have been all over the map the last two months. I think it will end up being a Toyota Tundra.

2. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

I'm out of touch I guess, is that what a Tundra costs is $40K?!?! :eek:

Tundra's are nice but I don't see writing a check for $40K for one...

3. MexAmercnMoose

i have two ford trucks....a 99 ranger and a 08 f-150...very reliable vehicles, i know that the new f-150's have the relatively new eco-boost engine, haven't driven one yet and they are also made with more aluminum parts (weight savings)

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Why a tundra? Ford F150 and Silverados are just as reliable if not more so, easier/cheaper to fix when they do break down, get better gas mileage, and are less expensive to start. The new 2015 F150 is really nice with their aluminum body.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Do you really need a full size truck? Take a look at the Colorado. I guarantee it's bigger and more powerful than you think.

- Owner of a 2015 Chevy Colorado

Seriously though, at least take a look. I got a Z71 crew cab for $30,000 and I'm very happy with it. I get 29 mpg on the highway!

#5 Haymitch, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Buck will be here shortly to tell you why you should stay far away from a Tundra. Trust him, he speaks the truth.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Plus the Ford ecoboost or 5.0 are far superior to the Toyota engines.

#7 Bandwagoner, Nov 26, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Silverados. Best trucks ever.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

10. The Boz

The Boz Member

^^^cheke64 person speaks the truth. ^^^

11. RocketBlood

RocketBlood Contributing Member

Toyota Tundra 5.7 crewmax!

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Where did you get a Z71 for that price? I've been looking into these, and it seems like the dealers are listing them pretty high. Wasn't sure if I could get them to go down that low.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I got a 2WD Z71 crew cab short box in black for $30,800 after the supplier's discount at Parkway Chevrolet in Tomball. Came with Navigation and Bose speakers (which sound better than I thought they would, having spent a lot of money on aftermarket systems for my previous two vehicles). The bad part is I don't have the trailering package - which is only $250 if it's added at the factory but $600 if added at the dealer later on. At only $250 I don't know why they don't include the trailering package on every V6, but I digress...

I worked with several dealerships, though. I went with Parkway because they had the closest thing to what I wanted and I had no interest in ordering one, since GM is totally bungling the ordering process. People who ordered in August are still waiting and will have to wait for at least a couple more months (see: this).

If I could recommend any Chevy dealership it would be Classic Chevrolet in Sugarland. Matt Berry was far-and-away the easiest, most helpful, and honest salesman to work with, but unfortunately for him a different dealership just happened to have exactly what I was looking for. Otherwise, I would have stuck with him and with that dealership. To their credit the Tomball dealer wasn't that bad and was probably better than most car dealers, but the salesmen weren't as knowledgeable or genuine as Matt.

1 person likes this.
  14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Is it more roomy than a Tacoma? Can a grown person fit in the back and have good room?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm 6'4" 202 and I can sit behind the driver's seat when I have it back to where I want it to be when I drive. Would I like to sit back there on a 6 hour road trip? No. Could I? Yes. But can I sit back there for normal driving? Absolutely.

It is definitely bigger than the Tacoma and Frontier. You can take a look at the measurements on Edmunds.com but when you actually sit in the vehicles you can feel the difference. My dad, who has a 2010-ish Silverado, said it feels like my Colorado sits higher than his truck.

There are plenty of people for whom this truck wouldn't be a good fit: those who want to haul massive trailers regularly or those who just need to have a super-duty-sized truck. But for everyone else, I would say the Colorado/Canyon is at least worth taking a look at.

16. tmacfor35

I'm 6'4 250.

I usually have a lot of friends jump in with me around the same size. I have always been the "driver" any time we go somewhere. I like to be in control!

That mileage is awesome by the way.

Impressive.

17. tmacfor35

I have had a Tundra before and loved it.

The F-150's to me, break down way too much! I think Silverado's look awesome though.

They are up there on my list.

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

OK, well in your case a full-size truck sounds like the way to go. But when you're checking out those Silverados and Sierras, be sure to take a peek at the Colorados and Canyons!

Also - GMC is having a huge sale going on right now. 20% of 2015 Sierras: http://www.gmc.com/

19. tmacfor35

Tundra's are expensive!!!!! LOL

Trucks in general are very expensive for people that don't tow/use for work.

But I am honestly too big to be driving a car, and I fish/hunt so much that a truck seems right.

20. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

If I were to go full size I'd probably go with an F-150. But I've only ever driven mid-size and I would go with the Tacoma hands down. I'm on my second one now and they are fantastic trucks. I have a Prerunner Double Cab and it has plenty of room for full size adults. I've been able to put 3 in the back comfortably and it's basically our family vehicle. Its got decent gas mileage, very reliable (only had one issue with my last one in 8 years), good design inside and out and overall just a quality ride.