1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Struggle of Being A Texans Fan

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by IronTexan93, Oct 21, 2014.

1. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Wow. Just Wow. Last night's loss to the Steelers just marks another prime-time disappointment in the many we Texans fans have had to suffer through. I don't know about you, but sometimes when I see us turnover the ball or give up touchdowns, or even completely let a game slip away, I wonder, "Why the Texans? Why my Team?" It's always the Texans. The Texans, who got torched for over 20 in less than 3 minutes. The Texans, who commit that killer turnover that looses us the game in the final waking minutes. The Texans, who commit the most questionable coaching decisions in crucial moments.

It is so frustrating.

Why can't we just win? Why is it I go to school and work knowing damn well that my coworkers and classmates are going to mostly likely going to call my team trash for the embarrassing loss we suffered instead of the great win we were able to pull together? Why do we as a city have suffer through so much embarrassment and ridicule?Honestly, whats wrong with the city of Houston? Are we no better than Denver, Pittsburgh, Seattle, or any other city? Are we not deserving of a successful team? I mean come on, we watch and support all of our football whether it be high school on Friday, or college on Saturday, and obviously the Texans on Sunday. We travel and tailgate to support our teams that we love so dearly. We buy jerseys and other merchandise to support our teams as well. And yet this is the end result. This is the standard set in place by the Texans.

Mediocrity.

We are mediocre. The Houston Texans franchise is mediocre. We have accepted a losing culture here in Houston. It's to the point were when the opposing team gets a huge touchdown, I'm expecting the Texans to fold over and perish because I know we have no fight in us. I know are most likely we are going to give up more big plays. I know the narrative the following morning will most likely be the Texans gave up another big lead or the Texans were completely manhandled by blah blah blah.

Can we Houstonians ever get a break? Maybe with the Rockets, we might have something to get generally excited for as far as championship hopes, but the Astros and Texans have pretty much minuscule or none championship odds at best. At least maybe this decade. And it's truly sad.

I love this team, I really do. I still remember when my father took me to my first NFL game and I could remember the atmosphere at Reliant Stadium. It was amazing. Never had I seen such dedicated fans in my life. The tailgating experience was like no other and the stadium was the loudest I had ever been to. We blew out the Browns that day, and I knew that from that point on, I would forever be a Texans fan. So please understand, this isn't me trying to simply take shots at the Texans just to take shots. This is a Texans fan who is simply frustrated with the way we as a franchise have been perennial losers and just plain unlucky.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

On the brightside, consider yourself lucky that you missed the tail-end of the Oiler years.

P.S. I seriously can't believe that people born in 1993 are 21 years old now. zomg wtf.

3. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Yeah, that's true lol. I remember before the MNF game, I saw highlights of the Steelers-Oilers AFC Championship game, and wow, That looked very painful. The only pain I have suffered that bad is probably last year when I wen't in person the Texans-Seahawks game. Worst car ride home ever.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The struggle is real.

It will be that much sweeter when we do win something of significance. Let's hope most of us are still alive.

5. conquistador#11

it's tough, only the cubs and browns fans can relate. the window opened for us in 2o11 before getting stuck the middle. then, it came down on our heads like a guillotine.

6. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

Renfro was in!

7. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

The struggles will continue until another disastrous season puts the Texans in position to draft #1 or #2. This will, of course, need to coincide with a year in which there's a franchise QB sitting at the top of the draft.
    There's no hope in sight. The light at the end of the tunnel does not exist at this time.
    Sit back and enjoy JJ Watt...or just walk away from the NFL for a few years at least.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Growing pains. Let's hope BoB gets his act together.

9. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Nothing tops the Buffalo Chokejob.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

we're no more deserving than anyone else. sometimes you just have to go with the hand that's dealt, which can involve A LOT of luck. we just have the misfortune of having the number pick in years that excluded any franchise like QB. then there are the injuries to our A+ players during the 2 years the team was actually any good. believe it or not the Texans are still young and we can struggle for the next decade. just pray you're alive when they do win it all. see Saints fans.

11. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We're freaking old.......hated seeing that Bills comeback. :(

12. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

True, but as a whole, I think Houston is a much better city than cities like Cleveland, Jacksonville, Oakland, and others. I just feel as if, this is such a great city, we deserve a great team, You know what I mean? Like what the hell makes Dallas such a better city than Houston? We are better than those scrubs.

13. RCPM

RCPM Member

Boo Hoo, trying being a New Mexico State football fan, lol

14. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's a culture that Bill O'Brien HAS to flush out of the system. The complete lack of focus, the mental lapses, the killer turnovers, the mind-numbing penalties, and the complete ineptitude of the secondary on long passes HAS to be flushed out. He needs to purge this team of the players that are ACTIVELY creating negative situations (I'm looking directly at you, Danieal Manning and Johnathan Joseph).

Since this team was 11-1, they have now gone 7-22 (including playoff games). That's 29 weeks of misery. It starts and ends with Bob McNair, and that's due to his reluctance to fire Rick Smith. That man has done NOTHING to curtail this free-fall. His cap management, his draft history, and his inability to bring in meaningful free agents have all led to this. Until he's gone, I don't think we'll EVER see the Texans be a truly successful team.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's only a struggle if you have delusional expectations.

16. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Elaborate. What do you mean by delusional?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

You would almost rather they get blown out. That way, you are certain they are just not that good. But when they lose all these close games; they give fans hope that they are a good team and a couple of corrections from being a really good team.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Expectations are different from living within the moment. Before the season started, I EXPECTED this team to finish 7-9. At 3-4, I think my prediction has a chance of being pretty accurate. However, after experiencing the last 3 weeks, just because I EXPECTED the team to lose doesn't mean I'm any less frustrated. I can handle us losing games because other teams are simply better than us. That's going to happen when you have a roster like ours. What I can't handle (and I expect MOST fans can't handle) is the utter stupidity with which we lose. As the OP said, it's not enough that we lose. We find ways to lose however, that simply tear the hearts out of our chests. Back-breaking turnovers, idiotic penalties, horrendous coverage on deep balls, etc. Yes, those are the hallmarks of a bad team, but this roster is FULL of veterans who should be better than this.

My EXPECTATION is for them to not constantly shoot themselves in the foot. That's where I guess my mistake lies.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

First year coach is looking like a first year coach - i keep mumbling this

Growing pains . ..

Rocket River

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

There were folks here that actually thought Bill O'Brien could turn Fitz into a good QB.

There were folks here that thought the Texans could turn it around as fast as The Chiefs

There were folks here that thought this team had a core and didn't need to rebuild.