1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MS Word] Boring versioning problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by B-Bob, Nov 26, 2014.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Dear folks, apologies in advance, but some of you wizards might be able to help me.

My 300 page book, written in MS Word 2011 (yes, have at it -- I deserve it) has come back from the copy-editors in MS Word 1997 documents (even .doc, instead of .docx).

I have to go through, with "track changes" 300 pages of suggested edits. I am already noticing some issues, such as the simple internal search function crashing the program.

Should I find and install MS Word 1997 to go through this?
    Or should I just plug along, saving the docs as Word 97 files and hope for the best. (The best being, no strange artifacts introduced.) I have two weeks (in addition to my main day job).

Side note: I'm with a reputable publishing house, but they outsourced copy-editing to India. The copy-editing firm in turn re-outsourced (?) the whole task to some starving writer in the US who will do the work for India-level wages, I guess. I can't even make this stuff up. All for a book that will cost $24.95 and sell like 13 copies.

Sorry for the bone dry boring thread, but any help would be mucho appreciated. All I can promise is signing your copy of the book. LOL. ;)

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What book did you make?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Can you import and convert it into Word 2011 format from Word 2011?

4. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes.

You can save the document as a ".docx" by adding the "x" to the filename or changing the format under "Save As."

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

just hit "accept all" - done.

1 person likes this.
  6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I would scream at the publishing house and tell them your dilemma. They will have LESS time to return it to you converted in your version. I don't understand why they don't have your version, these BIG companies. :eek:
    SO you thought, dear sir. So you thought...

FYI, if you plug your book here in Clutchfans, you might sell 14! :cool:

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

.doc works on every version of Word.
    .docx works on 2007 and up.

for mac:
    .doc works on every version
    .docx works on 2008, 2011+

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

there's no 1997 or 2011 VERSIONS of file formats.

it's either .doc or .docx.

if it came back in .doc, open it back up in 2011 and save as .docx since 2011 supports the newer .docx format.

9. B-Bob

Thanks everyone for the info. I have to resubmit in .doc format, so will just trudge ahead in compatibility mode. Cheers!

10. what

what Member

I kinda don't really understand what you are asking. You are using word 2011, and the file format that the editor sent the file back to use at, is in word 1997.

I mean I doubt that you have more than 10 to 20 files for a 300 page book. If you wish to work in the newer version of word just convert the file (with word's compatibility mode feature). This is one click, or save it as a .docx file.

If you are worried that you might introduce errors, the guy that converted your file to 97 already probably done so so there shouldn't be an issue here.

11. B-Bob

What: if interested in issue, read this post. Yes, trivial to convert to docx but I have to resubmit in doc so will just keep them in that format.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not to belabor the point (actually, I guess I am :) ), but can't you import it as a doc and then save as a doc while doing all your work in Word 11? I have Word 2011 on my Mac and I can save in Word 1997 format.

13. what

what Member

Bob, I read an official document of compatibility mode, and basically it is a safety value for people who don't have the ability to read the .docx file format, which I still don't understand this since even word 97 has an update that allows it to read docx files.

To me, it seems pretty ridiculous that you have to deal with an editor that is using antiquated technology.

But congrats on the publication. What type of book is it?

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Doesn't India pirate Software incessantly. Do they even know they can download a free trial version of Word while editing your book.

Can you go on kickstarter and ask for a $200 contribution to buy them a new version of office. You could offer all investors a signed copy of your book or you could go on the high school circuit tour to talk about physics to horny teenagers