1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Healthcare system in international comparison

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Nov 2, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was thinking about that - the unhealthy lifestyle and how it is logical that that leads to more chronic diseases - but from what I have read/heard/seen, it's apparently not just that. It also seems to be lack of access, high pharma cost/over-prescribing, inequality, and so on.

From what I have heard, Kaiser Permanente's system appears to be the most innovative in the USA and the most efficient - privately run. Kind of like a more efficient (because privately run) NHS (which is the UK single payer healthcare system).

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The size, diversity, population, and economy mimic the US more so than Germany. The US is ranked as less healthy than many of those European nations in the rankings, but it may line up better with Brazil.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm not that familiar with Kaiser, but don't they operate a lot like the HMOs that were becoming more common in the 1990s? And didn't people basically revolt against that system?

4. downbytheriver

Care to expand on this..

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our system is worse because our system has less gov't funding compared to other countries and less gov't control costs. Ultimately a single payer system gives better care to more people. But if you are really rich, our system is better.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Not really rich, just with a well paid job that has good benefits and health care choices.

7. downbytheriver

What about the doctors themselves? They're the ones pushing to make a procedure in the us of A cost 10x as much as our canadian counterparts.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

ROFL, as usual, you are completely unable to answer the points at hand and resort to insults instead.

Try again, rookie.

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was hoping for an on-topic discussion - since this is a thread that has nothing to do with Islam, I was hopeful. Then you made your initial, unnecessarily vitriolic post. Can you leave that stuff elsewhere? Thank you.

10. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Seriously? The only people at whom I directed anything approaching "vitriol" were the liars on Fox. The most egregious thing I accused bigpuffery of was a stunning lack of cognitive dissonance.

Perhaps you'd like to point out the "unnecessary vitriol" for me because I just don't see it.