1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Woj] Rockets finalizing deal to send Omer Asik to New Orleans

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Jun 25, 2014.

?

Do you like the trade of Omer Asik for cap space and a protected first rounder?

1. YES

589 vote(s)
    88.2%
  2. NO

79 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So we could get another Marcus Morris for Asik. Is that what you're saying? As soon as Howard was signed, Asik was useless. He should have been dealt the next day. Our 54-win team would have been improved by moving Asik for anything at all last year. I don't consider throwing a season away while trying to get flexible to be brilliant. It's only a smart move for a rebuilding team. Just admit that the Rockets weren't trying to win big last year, Howard's 10th year. It's obvious.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't think you understand.

We now have a 10-14th pick to trade vs trying to trade Asik, plus cap space. Do you think we are actually going to use it to pick someone?

this pick will be in our possession for like 3 months, tops. It's a trade asset, only.

this statement makes no sense to me. What does this have to do with we turned Asik (unnecessary redundancy to Howard) into a lotto pick to trade, and clearing cap space in the process.

you make no sense.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

It means that the rockets are in the business of compiling assets as opposed to building a team. A collection of players that can truly emphasize the "whole being greater than the sum of the parts." It became glaringly apparent when a team that boasts 2 players that were the best at their respective positions, won the least amount of games in the west and lost to an untested crappy portland squad. A stretch 4 has been on the to-do list for so long that it appears we have driven ourselves crazy over this star-power madness. The organization will stay hooked though, like an opium addict craving his next fix, forgetting to tend to his other basic needs. By the time we wait for that perfect scenario of the mythical star, we will be on the downward end of our center's prime and hoping for an injury-free season. As rockets fans, I think we are all used to the "...if "x" hadn't gone down" excuse.
    So lets clear all this cap room on the chance of someone signing and the hope that when this happens, this 3rd star prophecy will magically fix all our other problems as well.

1 person likes this.
  4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

To be fair, we were one healthier Beverly or one smarter Lin away from beating a Portland team whose star player was cheating on every turn around jumper and playing his best ball he's ever played. We win that series 9/10 times. They were on fire. We couldn't buy a three. We were still close every game. I would guess that we are better, as is, than most of the league thinks.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Yeah a lot of people are negating the fact that Lillard and Aldridge were playing out of their minds.

They would not have won with the team they sported in the regular season. The basketball gods just hate us.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I agree, if by "basketball gods" you mean "James Harden."

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

James too.
    That Damian Lillard buzzer beater though was a big WTF.

8. heypartner

Get off the whole Spurs High Horse.

Keeping Asik is stupid. He didn't want to be here. It's better to turn him into cap space and a lotto pick. Plus, going to NOLA is what he wanted. Morey did him a solid.

What?

Now, if we trade Beverley...for a pick...I'll be pissed.

I was also pissed we traded PPatt and Lowry.

But Asik is not the example that you, TheFreak and Carl Herrera are trying to make it to be.

9. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

This is well said.

10. heypartner

You and your James Harden b****ing.

I mean, you may very well be right. But what kinda life is it to b**** about the star of your team. I used to b**** about Stevie...but not like you are doing with Harden.

so, are you going to join us in Vegas?!! Let's do it.

11. Carl Herrera

When did I say this Asik trade was a bad idea? I am totally in favor of it. Not sure what you think I think of this trade.

I was against trading Asik for crap like Brandon Bass or Spencer Hawes because they are crap but this deal is a logical move.

Had Morey traded Asik for Bass or Hawes, I doubt that either would have helped the team more than Asik did on court and either would fetch as good an asset as this Pelicans pick.

12. heypartner

cool

So are you coming to Vegas?

13. Carl Herrera

Sorry, can't do Vegas this year. It's fun and I would recommend it to any fan who can make it.

As for b****ing about the stars: I would say that much of the criticism of both Francis and Harden are justified. Most objective observers who are not blinded by homerism see the serious flaws of both players.

14. heypartner

Yeah, but the difference between you and me, when I b****ed about Francis in his 2nd season, I stopped due to cfnet not wanting to hear it.

And we got TMac for Francis.

Why you no stop with Harden?

I am a fan of defense...and I get it. It pisses me off, probably more than it pisses you off. Trust me. My favorite NBA player of all time is Jeff Van Gundy.

Those who know you, know your point. And I agree, Van Gundier.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I think Asik shuts down Howard in practice more times than is admitted. NO will be a problem for the Rox now.

16. Carl Herrera

I'll stop when we get Love for Harden. :)

17. heypartner

haha .... so sad

18. fluors

fluors Member

Michael McNamara of Bourbon Street Shots published a very detailed analysis of all financial options available to the Pelicans in order to complete the Asik trade. See http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2...ns-pelicans-options-heading-into-free-agency/. I summarized the article below.

The Pelicans can acquire Asik in one of four ways:
    1. Trade Austin Rivers, 2) Trade Ryan Andersen, 3) Trade Eric Gordon, or 4) Stretch Eric Gordon.

Trade Rivers ($2.4M): They can trade Rivers without taking back salary and declining Bird Rights on their free agents and declining all team options. But this would cost them the MLE, BAE, leaving only a Room Exception. Or they could simply trade Rivers to a third team and retain the MLE and BAE to sign other assets (small forward) and lose the Room Exception.
    Trade Anderson $8.5M): They can trade Andersen to a third team (since Houston currently wants picks but no salary) that would send players back to New Orleans (hopefully a quality small forward). If done correctly, the Pelicans would retain the Bird Rights to their free agents and keep the MLE and BAE. It’s also possible to package Anderson and other players (including Rivers) to a third team and free up as much as $14M that can then be used to obtain a quality small forward like Ariza, Hayward, PJ Tucker, or even Chandler Parsons. And sign Asik with the newly created cap space.
    Trade Eric Gordon ($14.9M): In this scenario, the Pelicans would seek to create a Trade Exception by sending Gordon to a third team and taking back $6.6M or less in salary. This is the ideal solution because it allows the Pelicans to get rid of Gordon (something they’ve be trying to do for years), keep both Austin Rivers and Ryan Andersen (which they'd love to do), retain the Bird Rights to their free agents, as well as the MLE and BAE. A package deal of Gordon and Rivers for OJ Mayo, for example, would also create a trade exception large enough to absorb Asik’s contract.
    Stretch Eric Gordon (owed $14.9M 2014/2015 with a player option of $15.5M in 2015/2016). Pelicans can simply waive Gordon and stretch the remainder of his salary over the next five years. This also frees up $9M of cap space that can be used to absorb Asik’s salary.

Which if these options is more likely to occur? The best thing that could happen to the Pelicans would be an Eric Gordon trade but that boated contract will be difficult to move. And paying players to not play is odorous to most GMs. Trading Rivers will work but will not return quality assets. The Anderson trade would. By the way, as both a Pelican and Rocket fan, thank you Morey for sending us a top five defensive center.

19. fluors

fluors Member

ETA: Ariza, Hayward, Parsons would likely require a S&T.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Looking as if this is the case.

A guy on the KFAN message board was talking about a NOP forum with a source talking about Eric Gordon to Minnesota for Kevin Martin as a possible trade.

http://rubechat.kfan.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=277171

This links to the NOP thread

http://www.pelicansreport.com/showthread.php?80991-I-m-not-one-to-gossip-but-Trade-w-Wolves-!

I'm thinking this is the trade foundation that lands us the player we want.

#780 treyk3, Jun 29, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014