1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

thoughts on TE play?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by awc713, Nov 2, 2014.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

I'm more of a baseball/basketball guy, but our TE play has looked atrocious.

Graham is making 3.75M for each of the next 3 years. Are we going to see any positive return from that deal? CJ F150 was taken with our 3rd round pick. I think he has a could have a decently bright future ahead of him, but his play hasn't been anything special so far.

Where is Ryan Griffin even at?

Thoughts on our TE situation? Are we going to spend another high pick on one in 2015?

2. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

Texans have tight ends?

1 person likes this.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

0 receptions and only 1 target in the last 2 weeks. 16 receptions total on the year between all 3.

I don't know if it's Fitz or OB's scheme. Delanie Walker had 60 receptions of Tennesse last year and Penn State TE's accounted for 1/4 of their receptions last year.

One thing I do think is a factor is that there's more emphasis on Foster as a receiver this year. Of the non-WR options, Arian is obviously the most talented. So if Fitz/Bob are looking for an outlet receiver, Arian gets the first look.

I'm not sure, but with how the OLine has been struggling in pass protection, it could also be that the TE's are being asked to stay in a pass block more than they were under Kubes. Not sure on that, I haven't paid close enough attention to that. Just a theort.

Regardless, they have to find a way to use them better.

4. Buck Turgidson

Agreed. With the running game we have it is criminally ludicrous that Fitz can't even use the TE as an escape valve or a play action option.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Might as well put another offensive lineman out their instead of a TE.

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Yea but I hear O'Brien is a master at making adjustments and game planning for each game , so I'm sure the TE's will be getting plenty of catches next game

7. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Never knew we had TE's.

8. Buck Turgidson

How could you not know, they draft one every year.

9. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I had a thread on this. basically 10% of Pass targets are for TE

10. benchmoochie

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

10 years ago y'all wouldn't even notice... we don't have a top 25 TE, what do you expect? Teams throw to the TE when they have good TE's. We don't and no one ever really suspected that we did.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We have tight ends?!?!? :confused:

13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Top 25? Graham is #39 currently. But it seems to me if you have two wideouts like Nuk and AJ, and a RB like Foster, that your TE is going to get single coverage either by a LB or maybe a safety. Should be a good target at least two or three times a game.

I realize our pass blocking has been bad, but if the idea is the TE has to block every play... we better start thinking of former OTs as TE...

14. Cannonball

While Graham isn't a top TE, he did have 49 catches for 545 yards in 13 games last year. That was good enough to rank 17th in receptions and 18th in yards among TEs. He's on pace for 21 receptions and 217 yards this year. I don't think he just suddenly got that much worse.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

We're not throwing to him. BoB said they need to run better routes, Fitzpatrick needs to make his progressions better and that they'd try and get them more involved. It is what it is. Throwing to the TE isn't a requirement. Seattle won a title without a dynamic TE gameplan. Andre Johnson had 2 catches, I'm more concerned with that than I am getting the ball into a mediocre players hands.

16. Cannonball

And on that note, we drafted Fido in the 3rd who's more of a blocking TE. He's more of a Joel Dressen type than an Owen Daniels. Graham is very inconsistent and sometimes downright awful as a blocker. But Graham is out there for almost every snap, just like the OLinemen, and CJ only really comes in when we use multiple TEs. Seems to me that if we had our TE blocking every play, Graham wouldn't be out there as much as he is.

17. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

JJ Watt has been a great TE for us ;)

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They look better without a dunce at QB.

19. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

TE's are rarely the 1st or 2nd read. Fitzpatrick could not get past his 1st read, so the TE's had no chance with him under center. For being a "smart Harvard guy", Fitzpatrick has poor football intelligence/competence.

20. benchmoochie

unless you were the saints in 2013, or you got Gronk.