1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Mallett named the Texans starting quarterback

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by JonRetro, Nov 5, 2014.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Err. He's making 9.5MM, not 4.5MM. 4.5MM is the room you clear by cutting him when you factor in the dead money.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's not going to prove he's "really, really good" in seven games worth.... he will only prove that he's not bad. (and I wouldn't have franchised Nick Foles if he was a FA, and I was the Eagles last year... and you're seeing what sort of replacement level production they're getting because its the system that makes the QB).

Why would he take less than the franchise tag? Because its football, and multi-year deals that are worth more total money provide more security... provided the player is actually good and doesn't get cut. Why would he be reluctant to leave? Because he's accustomed to the system that he's succeeding in and is interested in carving out a career, not simply a Kevin Kolb payday.

If he gets stupid money from somebody else (again, doubtful), let him go.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just as long as the only reason he's playing is not because of what he's getting paid... and because he really is providing a positive impact.

Negative impact games from him make this defense worse. His replacements have had this defense playing better.

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Bingo. And I'm not advocating it, btw - just throwing it out there.

5. Hey Now!

Yes; well aware - that is the ENTIRE premise behind franchising him: gives you one more year to evaluate him. It's an expensive year - but a year, nothing more.

And I disagree - no one thought Nick Foles was "not bad" last year; they thought he was really, really good (and he was). He's the poster child for why they shouldn't rush into anything with Mallett.

Here are the only acceptable answers: He's not very smart; he got terrible advice from his agent...

Because here's the thing; if he's franchised and then doesn't have a Nick Foles-like regression, he's poised to make $18.5MM *plus* a big, fat contract worthy of a franchise QB who has proven himself over 23 games (not 7).

The carrot of "play well/get paid a lot more later" exists, regardless of the scenario. But my suggestion provides an opportunity to make a lot more money.

Look, he's making less than $800,000 this year; so, yeah - there's a chance he'll jump all over a team-friendly deal that would pay him less than the FT (but still guarantee him... you know, $10-14MM, or whatever). And that'd be great for the Texans. But, financially speaking, if his big pay day is delayed until he "proves it" (ie the big money is pushed to years 3, 4 and/or 5 of this contract)... he's leaving A LOT of money on the table by not going the FT route.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Again, I disagree... because you get one really expensive year (with cap ramifications), and then you end up having to go through the same thing again next year. The ONLY way your scenario "works out" is if he is a bust next year, and even then you just spent $18.5 million to evaluate that.

If his agent plays hardball for the franchise tag, he'll be doing his client a diss-service. I've never seen a single player "root" for the franchise tag for good reason... and in this case, its ridiculous to argue about it because the Texans simply will not be dangling it out there as a primary option (it's almost always an option of last resort).

If Mallett is simply "ok" next year with the FT, and the Texans decide to draft a QB in rounds 1-3 that they like (which they should probably do if Mallett is only on a one year deal) that makes Mallett expendable again... and he's right back at square one, with absolutely nobody clamoring to pay him.

If I'm the Texans, and the Mallett camp is playing hardball, I'd have another team try to set the market for a guy who's only played 7 games under a system he knows...hell, may work out better than simply trying to be first with a contract offer, as Ric will probably end up bidding against himself, or overpaying.

7. conquistador#11

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They did the same thing when Vermeil said they'd win with Kurt Warner... they did the same thing when Belicheck said they're sticking with Tom Brady.

But again... those are exceptions. Mallet would be another exception if he pans out as a franchise QB... and between you and me, the Texans (or any Houston team, for that matter) is long overdue for that sort of "fortunate" occurrence.

9. Hey Now!

I feel clarification is needed; *I* prefer your approach; the Texans, very likely, would prefer your approach. I just don't think, however - if money is the driving force (and we all know it is) - Mallett would see it as the best approach.

And if Mallett does reject a team-friendly deal that allows for further evaluation, i think the FT is a viable plan B.

Unique circumstances; most players, when eligible for the FT, are established. Again, if he goes Nick Foles, and the Texans want to bring him back (which they should), he will hold all the cards. He has no obligation to the team - unless they slap the FT on him.

They wouldn't draft a QB next year if they franchise Mallett; they'd be all-in. If he busts, they draft the QB in '16.

Sure; but it comes with no guarantee - he'd be unrestricted; if a team blows him away... my guess is he'll jump on it.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Why is everyone overlooking the fact that Savage is on this team... The Texans aren't spending a high draft pick on a quarterback. Savage will be the next man up if Mallet walks. He has all the tools and probably a stronger arm than Mallet. O'Brien didn't move up in the draft to draft the kid for nothing.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mallett is still an unknown. Savage is an unknown. If I'm a new coach I'm telling the GM to keep drafting QBs until we find 'THE' guy. So, yes, we should draft a QB early in the draft. Of course if Mallett leads us to the Superbowl this year, then NO, don't draft a QB. Look for Cushing or JJo replacement.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'm not. He's either the next Mallet to Mallet's Brady... Or he's just another backup for now.

Still shouldn't preclude them of avoiding a QB if there's one they like.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Lol... Out of all the starting quarterbacks in the NFL, probably less than 5 of them are "the guy"... The rest of those dudes are probably only as good as the teams they are on and the offensive coordinators calling the plays. What you're advocating is just burning draft picks... And J-Jo isn't hard at all to replace BTW...

Either Mallet or Savage is O'Brien's guy... Both are built the way he likes his QB's. And if he can help Matt McGloin and Thad Lewis make it to the NFL and be decent spot starters _ he definitely can work with Savage. And if you compare Savage's college tape to Mallet's _ Savage appears he may have the higher ceiling of the two.

You're talking about burning draft picks as well. And not including Winston _ Savage is probably better than any QB that will be in next year's draft. He may draft a QB _ but itwill pprobably be in a late round.