1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mindy Kaling’s brother pretended to be black to get into med school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://nypost.com/2015/04/05/mindy-kalings-brother-pretended-to-be-black-to-get-into-med-school/

I am surprised more Indians don't try this. Even if you have 3.7 and 30 you might have trouble getting into med school if you are Indian which isn't that fair. Given this guy had a 3.1 he probably got a ding instantly if he went in as Indian.

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This could be a potentially divisive issue among minorities.

3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

There are a lot of black Indians, and they face descrimination by other Indians.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Once I lost my hair and started shaving my head people mistake me for black all the time.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

A minority's student could be helped in getting admission but there is no garntee he/ she could succeed in their field without hard work for years . The American board for physicians it self is a tough exam to pass without proper education and knowledge

6. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

I'm OK with attempting to diversify educational settings, but I have a problem with post-graduate school affirmative action. Didn't these underrepresented minorities already get preferential treatment to get into undergrad? Why then get preferential treatment again when applying to med school? If affirmative action is justified, then let their undergraduate record stand on its own merits.

I also have a problem with doctors being the product of affirmative action. In medicine, the stakes are too high to have someone who is not fully qualified. Direct the charity and sympathy towards other initiatives.

1 person likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Affirmative Action is just about making sure that the student body resembles the population at large. If you accept and support the underlying goal of AA then you have to support it in schools even if it means you get screwed over. In a perfect society you wouldn't need AA, but we do not have a perfect society. I'd like to think that AA is one way of achieving this.

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A school has a right to decide whether or not diversity is a priority for itself. I think it's perfectly fine for a private institution to want a diverse student body.

I do think that for a public school that gets state or federal money, it's more questionable whether or not affirmative action is right.

At the end of the day, what we really need to do as a country is address the issue of why blacks are getting a substandard education - and it's not just because of their parents.

9. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

I think affirmative action can lead to a better educational experience for all, but the goal of having a student body resemble the population at large is a fool's errand. It assumes the population at large is equally qualified, which it is not. For the same reason, I do not demand that the San Francisco 49ers resemble the racial makeup of the San Francisco population.

When I hire people, I can obviously see through whether or not a student was helped by affirmative action. If someone talks like they barely speak English, yet English is their first language, then they aren't very smart. At a minimum, they haven't taken the initiative to learn how to speak properly. As an employer, I'll never be "tricked" by affirmative action when hiring people, which makes the whole program a bit of a sham. Sadly, whenever I meet minorities that went to Ivy League schools, affirmative action immediately comes to mind. That's a pity for the ones who may have qualified without affirmative action.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Attention w**** Ass Hat attempting to make a name for himself off his sisters fame
    with some half assed attempt to be relevant

As per normal, attempting to curry favor by jumping on the bandwagon

he admits - he was rejected and waitlisted based on his grades from almost all the schools
    He withdrew from some because rejection seemed like it was coming.
    He got invites from 'lower tier schools' - the ones that send out invites to everyone who passes the test

The Only School he got into was St Louis University School of Medicine [After the other 13 rejected him]
    Which he would have been able to get into no matter what
    BUT HEY . . it only takes one . . ..

[​IMG]

Rocket River
    Caste System still in full effect I guess

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

I can assure you most medical student are like 30% Asians ,25% Indians , 20% middle Eastren, 15% whites , 10% others regardless of Affirmative action

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

That is one of the best Med Schools in the country.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If you read the rest of the article, it explains that he ended up dropping out of med school anyways.

You can't "fake it" forever... especially not in medicine. If med school doesn't get you, the initial boards and residency will. And if residency doesn't get you, the board specialty exams will.

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

If you're indian/asian it is the hardest to get into medical school. But a 3.1 ****ing GPA...seriously like wtf...and that its Harvard blows my mind.

Below a 3.7 won't even get you an interview at most schools. And if you want Harvard or something, not only a 36+ on your MCAT but research publications, tremendous leadership, essays, and community service.

Its really sad that he did this.

15. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

lol at a black guy named vijay

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Lol would rep if I could. Funny because it's relevant and hits on many more levels: medical doctor and comedian.

18. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Thats not how it works and couldn't be further from the truth. There is no "passing", its a competitive system and based on his stats he wasn't even close to sniffing any medical school. To get into any medical school you have to be a top candidate. Especially when it comes to things like MCAT and GPA, the numbers actually blur at a certain point.

19. dback816

dback816 Member

Yea, those Asians really benefited from AA to get into Ivy.

20. Faust

Faust Member

why you gotta be racist?