1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketballin, Jul 7, 2013.

1. rocketballin

rocketballin Member

Is it just me or does anyone else see a breakout season for T-Jones coming? He played pretty well for us last year every time he was on the court and was just on another level when he was in the DLeague. With a year under his belt I think he's going to be one of the big surprises for the Rockets this coming season. He's 21 and only getting better. I expect big things from him this season and in the near future. We have an embarrassment of riches on our NBA roster. I love it!

2. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

I like watching him play and am impressed. A few questions I have are- how come we don't see him post up more? Is that an area he's developing? And did the coaching staff specifically tell him to work on jumpers?

I feel like I never see him show us any post moves.

3. Redtilldeath

Redtilldeath Member

Terrence is definitely one of those super talented guys that can make a big impact. Hopefully he gets the time to show it and proves himself. You need more time in the spotlight to get your game broken down my critics. All experience aside, he seemed like the best Power Forward on the roster all the way since Ppat was moved. High flying dunks, good court vision, good handles, good rebounding, played defence like a center sometimes. That wingspan is just killer, he's insanely athletic and he's only 20. I really value keeping this guy on our roster

4. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I think in college his game consisted of dunks. put backs and a jumper. I think post up game is something to be developed in the pros.i think he has potential. he has good knack for boards. blocks and a inconsistent 3 stroke which can be fixed. see chandler parsons. In a couple years he could be josh smith

5. Redtilldeath

Redtilldeath Member

He's a crafty dude, I think he could be effective in the post one he gets his foundational moves down. Add in that passing ability and quick first step, I'm foaming at the mouth

6. Omron

Omron Member

Everybody who knows basketball knows TJones is a keeper. Even Morey said so that he's got the potential to be an allstar. I think it was just Kevin McHale's lack of faith in young players that's keeping this kid back from being a regular starter.

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I see Jones having a breakout season and Howard is going to make him even better

8. basketballholic

I wasn't impressed today. He looked big and bloated and slow. However, the camera angles in these SL games is horrible. So, I'm going to reserve judgment. One thing for sure though...we should definitely know a career arc for both him and DMo this year.

9. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

I see him becoming a better shooting josh smith. He already can play extremely good individual and team defence and that I will only improve with the addition of Dwight in the line up. I'm really excited to see the potential that those 2 have together. I have a funny feeling that Terrence is going to have a breakout season like Kawahi Leonard.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is going to be a solid starter at worst. He just does too many things well.

In my opinion, he is the undisputed starting PF on this team until someone takes it from him.

11. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Just an honest question (when people call him the next Josh Smith or something like that): how many players actually ever did that? How many mid-low first round players hardly ever saw the floor in their first year and somehow turned into a star later?

I just think that's very unlikely. I am not saying he is trash. He has lots of potential - but I see a guy that doesn't seem to get it. He plays great one night and he makes really stupid mistakes the next. He desperately needs to develope an offensive game outside of dunking - a jump shot is a must on this team.

I see him becoming a serviceable player in the league - maybe someone that gets offered the full MLE one day. But I don't see much more than that...

12. i3artow i3aller

Terrence Jones was a beast at Kentucky, and was much more adept at blocking shots than PPatt. Without T Jones UK never wins their championship even with Davis and Kidd Gilly. He's not the high flyer that J Smoove is, but both are big forwards with handles. His shot has always been streaky, but with a little work he could be a gem for Morey.

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

I think he can do well for us. He should start over DMO.

D-League was good for his development.

14. AusEaglez

AusEaglez Member

I'm just saying potential wise cause there games are quite similar. He is very dynamic since he can defend the 3, 4 and even the 5

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I was super high on D-Mo before last season, but TJones really impressed me at the end of last year. I agree with someone else who said that TJones might work best with Dwight b/c he can operate without the ball the best. Still hoping D-Mo improves a lot too!

16. Shaud

Shaud Member

Considering Josh Smith has never made the all-star team calling him the next Josh Smith isn't predicting him to be an all-star.

17. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Yeah, but Smith came into the league beasting from day one. I don't think there really are many stories of players hardly seeing any playing time their whole first season and then turning into a star.

Best case realistic scenario for him is probably someone like Landry (who was great in his first season) - but it is just as realistic that he is out of the league in 3 years. Him turning into Josh Smith is very unlikely...

Shaud: I didn't say all-star - I said star. And I think, despite all his short comings, most people would call Smith that.

18. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

24pts and 12rbs and you weren't impressed? He scored inside and from the outside and looked like our best player by far to me.

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I'm not sure about his handles though. He always looks like he's dribbling right on teh edge of his fingertips, and is about to turn the ball over.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Sorry misread as for the mid 1st to late round all-star thing, Jermaine O'neal not saying it will happen.

Terrence is young and has showed signs of being good player when on the floor. He probably deserved to play more minutes last year.