1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Marcus Morris Q&A by Jason Friedman

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Alvin Choo, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

McHale loves this answer! Try hard, work harder! Always the answer, right coach? :p

#2 J.R., Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  3. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Time to add him on Xbox Live

4. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

i wonder what team he uses and im pretty sure he wants to be traded lol

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Phoenix Suns

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Probably plays with the Heat, Lakers, or Thunder. He's a front-runner! ;)

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Vipers?

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He just wants to separate himself from all those 6'9 PFs.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I know we like to say they can do whatvr they want during their off time.....but Morris' hips/back look stiff out there moving around. He can't seem to get in better position to defend. As much as he's been playing video games, i can't help but think all that sitting isn't going to help him, it may have caused it to begin with.

10. TISNF

TISNF Member

HAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA...

...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

And Lowry would have made the all-star team if it weren't for all that Black Ops. Freakin videogames, man.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what's funny :confused:

13. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Yep. And the video games definitely shorted Yao's career too. :rolleyes:

14. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Before you roll your eyes at me, look up the consequences of sitting for prolonged periods of time. One of the most important muscles, if not most, in your body are the gluteus maximus. By sitting down, you stretch them, therefore making them weaker over time. This will lead to dysfunction in your mechanics because having weak or inhibited glutes greatly changes the chain reaction of your muscular movements. Glutes are primary movers in hip extension, with other muscles like the hamstrings and erectors only helping out. Sitting too much slowly forces them to switch roles, leading to back and hamstring issues because they become too tight, as they take on a role they weren't meant to do.

When you take a defensive stance, you basically squat (sit)....to move laterally or come back up you need the glutes to fire properly or you'll get stuck in the position a second too long.

That being said, i only singled out morris because he has stiff hip movement AND says video games are his life, along with ball. As good as he is, he probably spends a TON of time playing them, so being a pro athlete may not be enough to counter it. Lowry played too, but im not sure how much, didn't sound like he was as passionate about it like Morris does.

http://www.biokineticspt.com/blog/uncategorized/lower-crossed-syndrome.html

http://fitfinity.net/2011/07/12/combating-the-effects-of-your-desk-part-1/

http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/archive/sitting.html

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/glute-inhibition-or-glute-weakness/

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JslrFB06wPU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JslrFB06wPU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

#15 RV6, Sep 27, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Are you seriously implying that excess sitting is responsible for Morris' bad defensive positioning? Was that Bud's excuse too? Some players just aren't too quick laterally, especially natural PFs. You might as well blame Yao's low vertical on on videogames, that's how ridiculous you sound.

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Mr buttocks, please refer to my post above yours, where i talk about buttocks.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all, I think you are 100% right about the affects on the human body with prolongued sitting in a seated position over the course of time.

Its unnatural, and there are many studies out there that prove its not just bad for you.... its deadly. You shave off years of your life by working a sitting/cubicle type of job vs. having an active lifestyle type of job.

However, Im not buying the argument that Marcus Morris' video game love is the root of why he isn't the athlete that someone like Paul Pierce, Carmelo Anthony, or whomever.

Compared to a normal every day human, there is a good chance that Marcus spends much less time in a seated position than most people. If he's going to all night game-nerd-athon events, and playing games 24/7 then maybe we have an issue here, but we can't expect professional athletes to not rest at all. Most athletes that rest will be well... sitting down. Whether it be watching movies, playing music, etc. Marcus is most likely no different than anyone else.

It is a major societal issue that we as humans need to learn how to solve with our work lifesyles. However, in this case, I dont think its a major matter of concern, but I do think he can always work a little bit harder in the gym. Everybody could on this team.

19. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

Come on guys, RV6 did not say for sure it is 'the' cause. He just cant help but think ... Getting those sitting and slow movement looks like some connection, little as it is. Tale it easy :)

20. Jenopogi

Jenopogi Contributing Member

'take' it easy. Dang iphone.