1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If it's not going to be a QB with the 1st pick...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by HR Dept, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I feel sorry for Gurley, a knee injury for someone as athletic as him will certainly reduce his effectiveness. I have a feeling Gurley could slide down the board come draft day.
    Like I said earlier, I am tired of taking punts on previously injured prospects who turn into IR dwellers. Think Clowney and Nix.

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Clowney never had a torn ACL or anything to that extent. Nix was considered a great get at the spot they drafted him with the injury history. Healthy, he was considered a 1st round pick. They got him on day 3. These are not the same as what Gurley is dealing with.

That said, hundreds of athletes undergo this procedure every year and many come back just as strong and athletic. No, not all are Adrien Peterson. But most are able to return to their previous abilities.

3. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ditto, with Mallets arm you need to be able to stretch the defense.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

I would rather get Cobb.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

With that #16th pick I believe we should go after a stud OL. We need to beef up that Line.

Remii as far as Gurley, I would stay away from him and any other draftee who sustained a major injury. I'm getting tired of our staff drafting these injured players.

1 person likes this.
  6. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I really want Winston, obviously in a trade up, but it looks like it may be much more difficult after that combine workout. Tampa will probably choose him, but if they don't I want a chance to trade up and nab him.

Off-field issues are probably his only knock. Needs to get a better support system around him. From there he definitely has the tools to become a star.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Stud OL would be perfect. Stud catching TE like Antonio Gates or Tony Gonzalez works for me as well.

Marcus Mariota supposedly falling like a brick (struggles with progressions and with accuracy) might be a trade opportunity with the Eagles.

Gurley might make a decent second pick, albeit high risk, if he falls that far.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Possibles depending on how FA goes:

Arizona State WR Jaelen Strong:. Strong is aptly named, showing the physicality and body control to make acrobatic catches. He showed his explosiveness with a 4.44-second 40 and 42-inch vertical jump at the combine. He also comes with high marks for work ethic and dependability.

Alabama S Landon Collins: Since earning the Texans' second-round pick two years ago, D.J. Swearinger has delivered impressive hits but his struggles in coverage has Houston vulnerable up the middle. Collins plays with a similar degree of physicality but is more instinctive, fluid and a proven ballhawk.

UCLA QB Brett Hundley: . The 6-3, 226-pounder has terrific speed, a big arm and a career 3-to-1 TD-INT (75-25). The drop-off in talent after the top three quarterbacks is significant enough to push Hundley into the first round, even though many clubs view him as a second-round value.

Michigan State CB Trae Waynes:. Waynes has the length, athleticism and ball skills teams want, though his slim frame (6-0, 186) is a concern that could keep him out of the top 20.

Kentucky DE/OLB Alvin "Bud" Dupree: Dupree, who led all SEC defensive linemen with 74 tackles in 2014 and is the conference's reigning career sack leader (24.5), is long, instinctive and closes in a flash.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...ft-titans-cant-ignore-mariotas-upside-at-no-2

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Texans should draft for need, given their lack of success in identifying the best player available.