1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Omri Casspi Signs (Back) with Kings

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Sep 19, 2014.

1. CasspiFan

CasspiFan Member

"You already shot the arrow, and now you're painting the target" - the great Casspi

[​IMG]

2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I watched every game Casspi played for us last season and every game Papa has played this season. Night and day

Casspi was good only when his shot was falling. When it deserted him, he hurt the Rockets when he played.

Papa does the little things that help us win, with or without his shooting.

One thing I can say about Casspi though, he did not pull a Chandler Parsons. He appreciated his time with the Rockets, and for that I can respect him and wish him well with the Kings.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Casspi sucks even worse in person.</p>&mdash; Marques K. Branche (@mar_ques) <a href="https://twitter.com/mar_ques/status/184000585585004545">March 25, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. Oracle

Oracle Member

OK. You got me involved. I originally talked only about value for money ratio. Papanicolau is about 5 times more expensive than Casspi. It's the same ratio like comparing Papanicolau to Kevin Durant or Bron. That's all.

Once you took it up, so let's look at it a bit more closely. Casspi is not a natural shooter and his shooting mechanics are not very good. For whatever reasons he was given the job to stand in the corner and shoot 3-pointers. As long as they fall, you're OK. If not, you're out. If he doesn't make at least 4 attempts a game, he's going to fail.

What happened to Casspi in SAC? He does not shoot 3-pointers at all. He has played in 15 games at 19.5 min per game scoring 8.7 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 1.4 APG, 0.27 SPG, 0.13 BPG and 1.5 A/TO. So, not bad at all but nothing special. Where's the difference??

Casspi shoots 54.2% from the field (highest in SAC). Suddenly his FT% is 87 and his points per shot is 1.578 (again highest in SAC) with adjusted field goal % at 55! His PER stands at 17.8 right now. Looking at these numbers, they are good NBA player stats.

The whole difference is the coach. Malone clearly understood what Casspi can do, not what he wants him to do. He got in return one of the most effective players in SAC. That's a good deal for a veterans minimum. In my opinion at least.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Or you know he could just be in a good stretch for him like he was early on with the rockets last season

6. FeaR

FeaR Member

Not exactly.

7. CasspiFan

CasspiFan Member

I'm not gonna keep this conv. Casspi would want us to get along.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People who dislike Casspi simply refuse to understand and discuss the meaning of "basketball talent." You guys are anti-semantic.

9. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I wonder what happened to him toward the end of last season. The start of his season in Houston was promising and after the season went on he started to lose his confidence and then dropped out of the rotation.

He has started this season again in good form with SAC. I wonder if he is going to drop of as well? By the looks of things he isn't relying as much on his 3 point shot as he had to in Houston. I think he will be a serviceable bench player for SAC.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

DMo and Asik are what happened to Casspi's season in Houston.

Casspi's early success came with him playing mostly the backup PF and rarely SF. Kelvin Sampson even mentioned on an interview that PF highlighted his strengths while SF highlighted his weaknesses.

At that time, DMo was either out of the rotation or playing backup C with Asik absent. Later on, Asik returned and the team wanted to keep DMo minutes. So, DMo got Casspi's PF minutes and Casspi had to play SF. He didn't really do well so they moved on to Jordan Hamilton for a little while and never went back to Casspi.

1 person likes this.
  11. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

I've also noticed that this season he is driving to the hoop ALOT more, and is making those shots.

I like your take CH, makes sense.

12. CasspiFan

CasspiFan Member

Casspi DNP last 2 games. I believe he'll be back to rotation tonight, with a 15p/5r/3a game, and will prove - once again - that you'll just wrong.

13. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Or he'll continue to rack up DNPs

14. CasspiFan

CasspiFan Member

The SAC fans will invade the court if that will happen.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm glad Omri is doing well with the Kings. Like a lot of other people, he impressed me early during his stint with the Rockets, but then seemed to lose his way, consistency being a big problem when it came to Casspi. If he can be consistent with the Kings, perhaps he'll have found a home.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Omri Casspi (left knee bone contusion) is out for the Kings.</p>&mdash; Jason Jones (@mr_jasonjones) <a href="https://twitter.com/mr_jasonjones/status/543229749129015296">December 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Oracle

Oracle Member

Now he came back (against the GSW) after being out for 7 games. He played 28 min, 16 points (7-10), 8 rebounds (1 off, 7 def), 3 assists, 1 block and 1 TO. He is currently holding a PER of 17.3.

One third into the season and he doesn't seem to show signs of fading just yet.

1 person likes this.
  18. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

He looks good under George Karl...

19. kingdragon22

kingdragon22 Member

True.

scored 31 (12-20 fg) today vs the timberwolves.

The last couple of games.

14 (5-10) vs Utah.
    17 (7-9) vs the pelicans.
    18 (8-17) vs the rockets.

47.8 fg season avarage.
    playing 20 minutes a game.

October - 57.1 fg%
    November - 53.6 fg%
    December - 51.4 fg%
    January - 55.6 fg%
    February - 35.9 fg%
    march - 44.0 fg%
    April - 55.6 fg%

Played very well under malone and Karl , not so good under Corbin.

20. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

lol he still had his customary Starts Good/Worse-As-He-Goes play. This year he played above his average to where, even with his usual regression slump, his overall output is decent.