1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about wage garnishments?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jun 15, 2015.

1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

New York. Also I don't think the cap in Texas for delinquent child support is dependant on the number of children. He's at least a few months behind I'm sure.

2. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

this honestly is about right. Frankly I'm shocked he's still motivated to even work

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

OAG can't take more than 50% of his wages.

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

BTW, I am in New York. Sorry if I didnt clarify that earlier, so child support caps might be different.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Even when you don't work, you still are on the hook for child support. I know in GA you just get calculated as if you made minimum wage. Don't make your payments? Go to jail.

I'm shocked they can take so much of his check. Seems like there has to be a way to show the court that he can't survive on the remaining amount.

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

These laws are basically designed to punish the poor. . If you are poor are more likely to end up getting a girl pregnant since the chance of a poor girl getting pregnant unintentionally is 5 times that of a rich girl (http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/ajph.2013.301416.pdf). Now you have no real way to get out of poverty after child support etc.

Lets look at BK. If you declare BK your debt is wiped out. Now someone might say well thing about the children. The state is already paying for the kid via medicaid, food stamps, housing etc. Obviously a guy making minimum wage is not going to be able to pay for a child.

7. CCorn

CCorn Member

Is he a hard working Hispanic employee?

8. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

After making only $1.50 an hour the only way to get out of the hole is to steal from the rich. You better watch out for your goods/cash/safe being stolen.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

There is no garnishment for that, so it is irrelevant.

If you want to start a D&D thread on your topic, then I'll meet you there, and we can all talk about the other issue (I won't go over to the other thread :p)

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I really don't see how the kid is better off if the guy gets to keep all his cash?

He has not been paying child support. Hasn't been doing it. That's why he is losing so much cash over it.

The example of $333 per week to live on is horrible (how much tax would he pay on that though?), but it is bigger than the $0 he was previously contributing towards his kid.
    [I might just be old fashioned, but I do believe in personal responsibility, particularly in the case of child support!]

The bigger issue here hotballa is this: why the heck did you employ Royce White???

11. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

You mention arrears. This guy could have easily not been paying for numerous years. I had a guy working for me (in Texas) a few years ago and all of a sudden the AG's office started garnishing his wages to the max. Come to find out, he hasn't paid child support in like 15 years. Dude ended up being arrested and is in prison for it.

Sure first instincts are to feel bad for the guy, but to me, that went away after about 5 minutes. If you aren't responsible to take care of your child, don't have one. People like the guy I am talking are a problem with our society. Glad he is learning his lesson in a jail cell. People need to be held responsible for their actions.

12. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Okay, in NY it's even less: capped at 35% (source). So this guy has been seriously delinquent in taking care of his financial responsibility as a parent.

Also, from this site:

So there are policies in place to limit the amount assigned. Also, there are policies to assist those for whom the payments are too difficult to manage.

Bear in mind, I found all this info with about five minutes of searching. Sounds like he had recourse to prevent this from happening and didn't. So, to sum up:

Serious delinquency of supporting his kid(s)
    + lack of action to look out for his self-interest
    =
    zero sympathy.

13. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Stop hiring illegal, uneducated hacks.

Ask them for a resume, do plenty of background investigation, have several rounds of interviews etc

14. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

15. VanityHalfBlack

Hahahhahahahha, Holy ****, this mofo probably under the freeway by now if he ain't paying ****. Pull the fukk out kemp!!!!

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

or get some birth control pills for the girl?

17. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

lol, while you're at it, why not say "close the damn border"