1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade for Dwight Howard even if he doesn't guarantee he will sign the ext ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, Feb 14, 2012.

?

Would you support trading for Howard even if its not a guarantee he will sign ?

1. Yes

159 vote(s)
    69.7%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    30.3%
  1. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Well my friends we hear all the scenarios so i must ask. Instead of being 3rd fiddle like with the paul trade, would you support just straight up trading for howard if it cost the likes of scola, martin, and a 1st round pick ? What u say rockets fans ?

2. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Cost us a ton more than that.

3. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Yes u are probably right but those were the main assets going to the hornets for chris paul so i used that as an example.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

yes... in a heartbeat... we have mostly expirings and two vets whos contracts we would love to get rid of in martin and scola... besides if we got him here there is a strong possibility of trading for deron or signing deron in offseason because we will have the cap space... not too mention c.lee is dwights best friend... we risk it all and bring him here... think of it from dwights point of view... "this city traded everything knowing i wouldnt commit" "my bestfriend is here" " this city has treated me like a king""this is actually a good team""they have enough money to sign deron this offseason""this is actuallly a good team""this city has treated me like a god""this kevin mchale guy can actually teach me alot towards being a better more dominant center" etc.... so many pluses too consider... yes it is a HUGE risk... but like they say... if you never ask, the answer is always no.. or in this case if you dont try the result is always a failure...

1 person likes this.
  5. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

Ofcourse I would do it right away. I would be reluctant to give up Lowry or PPat though.

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Otis Smith would pick up the phone and say,'We've decided that we're going to trade Dwight to the Rockets, what we want is..'
    If I was Daryl Morey at that point I would say DEAL!

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I do it in a heartbeat, if we can't sign him, we'll sign someone else significant because Scola and Martin can't win championship without a big-time stud. If we are doing Dwight Howard, we will have to overpay, most likely Chase Parsons is gone because of his Orlando connections and they would want Patterson, or Dragic. The Magic will take Scola, or Martin, I don't think both, I wouldn't do both either because you are getting 2 soft players. Remember for Gasol, we were sending Dragic, Scola, Martin and a 1st round pick, so Magic will use that as guide. Simply, for DHoward, I do not mind sending any of the Rockets' players because his presence will lead to bigger things for the Rockets.

8. Burko

Burko Member

Audere est Facere

9. fattz

fattz Member

Even if Dwight Howard walks we cleared the books to sign a player like James Harden away from the Thunder. We should retool the team for a Donatas Motiejunas base any way, IMO. As long as we keep or up grade players like Kyle Lowry, Patrick Patterson, Marcus Morris and get Courtney Lee to resign we should be better than fine with or without Dwight Howard.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If it doesn't cost us a bundle, sure. But that's not realistic.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

A risk has to be taken to be a contender. We are literally one superstar away from being just that.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'd do it because if stays, great - we have our superstar. If he wants to be traded, I dare say we'd get more than the scraps we'd get for what we traded for him (hence why Orlando won't trade him). And if he bolts for nothing then we have little choice but to "rebuild through the draft". Win-win-win.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You do the risk for a superstar C....top 5 player... not Gasol type.....

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I am willing to give up EVERYTHING

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good lord you're not the GM.... give up everything and HOWARD is going to walk away as he did in Orlando.... no supporting cast

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes, but you have to keep a competitive team here AND have cap space in the offseason.

17. thething

thething Contributing Member

If we keep Dragic (or Lowry), Lee, Parsons, and Patterson (or Scola), we will stay competitive.

Having Turkoglu on the cap would hurt things, but the team could still be really competitive with that lineup. We have the depth to make up for a lot of lost talent.

This could be our only chance at a superstar. Building around him is easy for Morey.

If nothing else, it gives us a really good chance at competing in the playoffs this year before he leaves.

18. VBG

VBG Member

If I can do the deal while keeping Lowry, Lee and Patterson, I do it in a heartbeat.

19. kharboosa

kharboosa Member

No. If he was a center in the time of Dream/Shaq/Robinson etc, he would have been at most a mediocre center. He is just lucky that the center position in the NBA has eroded beyond comprehension. That being said, I dont believe that he would be worth what we would have to give up.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

For Scola and Martin, yes. Dwight won't be able to pass up the extra bucks, even if he leaves it will be via S&T to a non-taxpaying team and we'd recoup, at the very least, the value of Scola + pick.

No Lowry. My only criteria in a Dwight trade.