1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ford Mustang 101

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ehsan, May 19, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

I'm looking to buy this car. I have to buy it. Ever since I was a child, I've been obsessed with this car for no apparent reason.

HOWEVER, I can't seem to build up my knowledge on all the different models they have, mostly because Mustangs are not a big thing where I live.

I know that I don't want a V6. I know that I, unfortuntely, can't afford the Shelby GT 500.

Here are some things I'd like to know:

1) Why isn't the Mustang Cobra on the ford website? Is Cobra a class of cars, an upgrade, or simply a body kit? Is it a different engine?

2) Can I order it, personally, from Ford? Because they don't seell anything but the basic V6 and the basic V8 in my country. I would like a V8, not convertible, but a bit more "Special" than the basic.

What would be absolutely awesome for me is if someone could break these things down for me... or maybe there's a website that can explain this to me in a simple way?

Help me out please!

2. Fatty FatBastard

Affordability? Buy a 289 V8 Mustang. Circa 1966-69. They are the only true Mustangs. Then ask FT how to fix them.

BTW, a road-worthy 'Stang in my category should set you back $5,000. It will be up to you how "classic" you want it to become....

EDIT: My first car was a 3 speed 289 V8 '66 coupe. You should look for something like that.

3. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

FF,

That's something I'm looking to do down the line. But I'm glad you gave me some suggestions. Right now though, I need to get a more reliable brand-new or almost brand-new car! I've been driving the equivalent of a shopping cart for a couple of years now, and am tired of worrying about my car breaking down all the time!

But if I wanted to get a 289 V8 Mustang, where would I get that from? Keep in mind I have to ship it coz I don't live in the US! Oh, and you say ask FT how to fix it. Who's FT?

4. Fatty FatBastard

FT would be Falcons Talon. He'll respond soon enough. He knows more about what you're looking for than I could ever say, and I've owned two.

That said, never buy a 6. Ever.

5. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Thanks FFB.

Ehsan, congrats on deciding to get your dream car. The S197 (2005-2008)Mustang comes from the Factory in V6(4.0) rated at about 225 hp or the GT (4.6 3v) rated at 300 HP. Before you sway to far from the V6, allow me to point out a Supercharged Shelby Edition V6 Mustang. http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/shelby_cs6.asp

Now, as for your questions,
    1. The Shelby GT500 is in the SVT division, (Special Vehicle Team). It runs a 5.4 liter eaton supercharged engine...same style as the Ford GT supercar, but not using all the top of the line parts and metals. Here you go... http://www.svt.ford.com/fordvehicles.html

2. I didn't catch where you are located, but in the Ford website, there is a dealer locator(http://www.fordvehicles.com/dealerships/) ...see if you can find a local dealer and call that site. You would have to contact them to arrange shipping. As far as more special than basic, Shelby is putting out the Shelby GT which is a little more powerful than the Base GT, but nothing you could not do yourself.

Buy a regular GT and upgrade the appearance and engine yourself. I have plenty of suggestions, but would like some guidance as to what direction you are going with your build.

Here is something you might look into if you want to go with Shelby. http://www.shelbyautos.com/vehicles.asp

Let me know. I live for this stuff.

#6 Falcons Talon, May 19, 2007
    Last edited: May 19, 2007
  6. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'll have you know that I've got a 6 to experiment on and I haven't had a lick of problems with it. Plus, since I'm not using it to race, I like not having to fill it up every other day and the break on my insurance. Once I get done with it it might cost a bit more, but that's a fair ways into the future.

7. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

BTW FT, I might be contacting you on working on the Mustang. I've got to pay off a few bills and save up some money but the day will come. Oh yes it will come.

8. Fatty FatBastard

A Mustang with a 6 is tantamount to a w**** with a chastity belt.

Why bother?

9. Falcons Talon

Before you go any further, read this thread... :cool:
    http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361679

10. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

The legend is here.

Alright, well, here's what I have in my head. I'm sure you of all people know that if you have a picture in your head, you just have to have it that way.

After reading your post, looking at some websites, doing some research I've decided I'm going to do this:

Get a V8 GT Premium. I want it in mettalic grey, with off-white stripes. Not convertible. I'm going to put a body kit on there. I love the stuff they have at this website called cervinis dot com. I don't know if its a reliable place to get stuff, I'm just judging by pictures at this point. They have the parts to give my car a real Eleanor feel to it on the exterior, which is what I'm looking for.

Then I want to upgrade the engine myself, as you suggested. This is where I'd need your guidance most. I want to change some part or all of the exhaust system. I want a bit more roar from the car sound-wise. What I have absolutely no experience in though is what I can do to significantly improve performance. I want a noticeable edge over stock v8 mustangs.

A V8 GT premium costs just under $40,000 in Dubai (United Arab Emirates, Middle East). The dealer over here only has the V6 basic, the V8 premium and the V8 convertible. That's all they bring.

Now upgrades are the tricky part. I'll be able to lump the price of a body kit and minor changes with the cost of the car and pay those off together. But engine upgrades I'm going to have to do over months, or the other way around. You've done this, so I'd appreciate some advice on how to go about this.

That's the rookie plan right now. Can you tell me if I'm going in the right direction, give me some advice on this stuff? Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate it!

11. Falcons Talon

Cervinis is top of the line for exterior mods. Good choice there. As for your stripes, if you want a relatively cheap alternative to painting them on, order pre-cut 3m Vinyl stripes from www.baltimorestreetmods.com . Quality stuff.

As for exhaust, the s197 has a very good stock exhaust system. If you want to change the sound, I recommend a MAC axle-back setup. I have this on and the car sounds better than the GT500...and it's a simple swap! Now...figure out exactly what you really want. A little edge or do you want a sure edge. A little edge can be accomplished with Cold air intake/SCT(try Brenspeed.com), Steeda underdrive pulleys, rear gears(3.73 for standard/4.10 for auto)...You can do all those yourself except for the gears.

All that will cost you about $1,000-1,500. If you are going to roll it all together, just get a twin screw supercharger...Whipple or Kenne Bell. That will be about $5,000 for the entire kit. Personally, I am selling my 92 gt351 to pick up the KB 2.6L.

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/gt05-06_3v/gt05-06_3v.htm

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGbhKQlUhLo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mGbhKQlUhLo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

13. Fatty FatBastard

Dude... I am sooo buying an old Mustang again! I'll even buy an 8 heap if you're willing to tell me hoe to fix it.

Thats what got me irritated about my sisrer's ex: he liked Chevys!

14. Fatty FatBastard

These guys can say what they want. I drove a '66 110 mph. and the u joint fell out.

That said, it was, and is one of the most gorgeous vehicles on the road. Blimey.

15. Falcons Talon

Best advice I can give is get one with a solid frame. I'm talking as straight and as little rust as possible...not so much rust on the external panels, but the undercarriage/frame rust. Rusted floorpans, panels, doors, trunks can be replaced with new pieces, but a rusted frame is doom. Everything else is cake.

16. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

FT!

Alright, I had a conversation with the head of the dealership, turns out he's a friend's friend.

Now, I can get the Shelby Mustang, he'll order it for me. I will have absolutely no money to do anything else to it after I get it. I was thinking of getting a sound system, I won't even be a ble to do that. Basically, I really should get any car at this price considering my situation. But this just happens to be a dream of mine and I want it done. This will cost me around $65,000.

You mentioned earlier that I should get a V8 and do stuff to it. I asked about that too. The problem here is if a supercharger comes from the showroom, then it's legal. Basically, it has to be "stock". So this guy told me that they can possibly supercharge a V8 if I'd rather do that. The stock V8 GT Premium would cost me around $47,100. Then I have room to do stuff to it, but not all at once. If I want an Eleanorish cervinis body kit and a supercharger, how much would those two cost together (ballpark)? My loan will cover the car as it comes out from the showroom, but parts I'll have to pay for seperately.

The Shelby GT 500 will take 3 months to arrive from the moment I order it. The V8 is available the day I order it. I'm leaning towards option #2 because I like the idea of molding it the way I want it. The Shelby GT500 is awesome, but there's little things here and there that I'd like to tweak (exterior). I'm not absolutely sure that the GT500 will look and feel exactly how I want it to one day, but I'm pretty sure the V8 would.

Any more advice? Sorry about the inconvenience btw... This is really a big deal to me and its a learning process, you've been a great help already!

17. Falcons Talon

Wow...Congrats. I'm not going to lie to you. If I could have a car with an authentic Shelby badge on it, I would jump at it in a heartbeat. They are hard to come by and beautiful vehicles. At the same time, If you are going for "building" your dream machine, I would probably go with the GT and build it, but the stock 4.6L engine, while very good, can not push more than 500 HP without something giving out. That being said, how much horsepower are you wanting? 475 should be plenty. More than enough "edge" over other stangs. The KB 2.6L is about $5700 complete. Price the Eleanor kit online for those numbers. Remember to take into account cost of prep and paint of the body kit.

18. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I actually just read about two options if money isn't an option (ar at least much of one):

1) Wait until next year and get the new "Limited" Shelby when it comes out, the GT500KR

2) Get a Shelby and get in line to get it converted into a Super Snake (even more limited than the GT500KR) this summer.

Neither option will be cheap, but you'll have one helluva car. Road and Track (I believe) has an article about the GT500KR in this month's issue.

19. CoolGuy

CoolGuy Contributing Member

here is another idea...wait till next year and get the new M3. Woops, did i say that outloud :D