1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Request for ClutchFans Community Service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roc Paint, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Would you consider volunteering your time by catering to OUR community and offering genuine assistance in picking up trash, cleaning local parks, planting trees, painting houses (for those in need of assistance), etc. and carrying on this support throughout the years? All I am asking for is your time to help clean up our beautiful city...under the ClutchFans name (if permitted by Clutch himself, of course). We'd be doing a good deed for the city, as well as acknowledging the "Fans" stamp rather than sitting at home refreshing our screens every 2-seconds to see 'who' has gone 'where'. Aren't we are better than that?!

I messaged Clutch today about this particular operation (and haven't yet heard back from him) so I decided to go at this alone. I am willing to supply some items for the "first" community event - which could entail picking up trash along Buffalo Bayou (date and time to be announced once volunteer-ship is secured) - unless of course there is someone else whom requires our time more than this particular effort. I would gladly volunteer my time there instead.

Obviously it is going to take more than myself to get this off the ground, which is why I am asking the Clutchfans family to step in and contribute their time to this growing need.

Let's take turns and see how we can make an impact on this city - without being under contract by the Houston Rockets - yet still feeling the gratitude of supporting such a cause. Let's be our own boss for a change, and feel good about doing it!

Yes, I'm challenging all of y'all. HELP ME HELP HOUSTON!

God Bless all of you, and God Bless Houston.

2 people like this.
  2. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dig it, it would be cool if we could actually clean up all over the city, Im sure there are Clutchfans in almost every corner of Houston. Maybe we could have people nominate parks, roads, etc. in their area and then we could all gather every weekend and try and make this city beautiful. Also if we spread it out we have a greater chance of getting more CFs involved because not everyone is willing to drive across the city.

I love this city but it definitely needs to be cleaned up, and the only way that is going to get done is by human beings getting off their asses and doing it!

3. Roc Paint

I completely agree. You took the words right out of my mouth. That is exactly how I see this operation running...cater to the areas around each of us - perhaps there could be multi-missions? We'll be picking up trash off the bayou on the SW side, another team could be cleaning up a park on the North side, and another area could be helping their neighbor (or neighborhood) with repairs, etc. It's called 'doing what you can when you can', and, of course "paying it forward" - baby steps ARE acceptable here!

However, a record tracker/keeper of what is is that we, as ClutchFans, are doing for the community would be beneficial. I nominate myself with that task. Let's get to work!

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I have done this sort of thing around Houston and I honestly think it is better to stick to one location. You can get more done because your group will have experience, you get the trust of the actual workers, and you can really see the difference.

1 person likes this.
  5. Roc Paint

Overall, I understand what you are saying...the more people in one area, the better the outcome. However, I am trying to cater to the masses. There are over 50k people connected to this site (however after Lin's departure we could be looking at less than 30k, not to mention our fans from abroad). That being said, I know there are some willing and able souls out there that can help, and that is all I am asking for. One area, multi-areas...whatever we can handle. It CAN be done. "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Don't forget it.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If I was a pro athlete I'd take less money, by design, to ensure I wouldn't have to participate in any charity events. No-charity clause.

1 person likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

Well aren't you a worthless sack of crap. Why don't you take your lazy @ss back to the GARM?

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Some things simply cannot be done with smaller groups. The park won't apply resources unless you have a certain number of people.

9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Great idea. I live out of state now, but I applaud your effort. Glad to be employed at a place that sanctions community service activities.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I used to write grants. Raised nearly a million dollars for charity. And I'm definitely not lazy. But yeah, I think I might be a bad person. Not Bosh bad. But bad.

1 person likes this.
  11. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Would we be open to doing other things? like working at the food bank or something? I hate going outside
    Also, might be a good idea to team up with the rockets, I'm sure if clutch got involved he could swing something like that and they could help with logistics etc.

1 person likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Well since you are a 99er, I guess all is forgiven. :rolleyes:

I'll get back with everyone tomorrow, and see what we can get accomplished.

Good Night ClutchFans.

13. Roc Paint

That's what I was kind of hoping for, but we have to start somewhere.

14. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

oh no, I agree. I'm all for something like this.

15. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

After reading this thread, my buddies and I decided to throw away our burger wrappers in the garbage can instead of in the bayou and seeing which wrapper would win in a type of lunch time garbage boat race along the water.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Also OP, are you some sort of Community Organizer? I'm a little wary of these type of people considering the last 6 years.

1 person likes this.
  17. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Sounds like a great idea, we'll have our bayous looking like South Beach in no time!

All jokes aside, I'm definitely down

1 person likes this.
  18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Do we need clearance to plant trees?

19. Roc Paint

No, I am not a community organizer, activist, or official. I am a stay at home husband with nothing but time on my hands. I am not looking for money, handouts or recognition. I am merely trying to do something selfless for our community and am asking for anyone's help who might be interested in doing the same.

20. Roc Paint

Yeah, of course...that'd be awesome. Great ideas! We could all sign up to volunteer at a food bank, as a group (or as individuals). My wife has done this through her company's annual Day of Caring event.