1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NO LOTTO PICK IN '03!!!!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by RNuss02, Apr 12, 2002.

1. RNuss02

RNuss02 Member

I've recently been reading that because of some clause in the Stevie Francis trade, Memphis will get our lottery pick next season. There's also been question, if the Rockets should trade Toronto's pick to them this year for rights to our own pick next year.

I believe that if there's a chance to draft two potential all-star players in this year's draft or if there's an opportunity to trade picks + players in a package for players that would solidify our team for years to come, then that should be executed. However, if there are no trade opportunities, or no TWO awesome players (we need 2 in order to compensate for next year's pick going to Memphis) to draft, I say give Toronto's pick to the Griz this year and draft a stud with our 5th overall pick this year and draft another champ with our lotto pick next year.

Let me know what you think.

2. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I don't see a deal happening, the Griz are likely to get our pick next year. I wouldn't trade the Raps pick (14 or 15) to releave us of obligations next year unless it ends up being the Seattle pick via Toronto (19-20-21 pick)--and then I think the Gizzards would say no thanks we will wait and see what happens.

WHY?

1) I think the draft is better (not sure about deeper) this year (02) than next year (03).

2) this last two year's records were really an anomole on either end. Everyone knows we are better than our record this year. With reasonable health (we were terribly unlucky with Mo, Stevie, Rice, Walt's problems) and decent progression of our young players (most of our key players are young-to-very young) we stand a very good chance to get the 7th or 8th spot in the west next year. That translates to more like a 20th pick in 03 than the 14-15th pick we may get from Toronto in 02 (please don't blow it now Raps).

In summary, barring a Toronto fall lets use our pick (8 or better for sure, probably 5th or 6th) and the 14-15 pick this year to upgrade our team NOW. We could trade a pick and or KT for a really good young player, or just strait draft the two best players we see. Remember we had 48 wins (I think) 2 years ago in a tougher deeper West. I think we plan on improving our current team as much as possible this offseason and plan on giving the Gizzards the suckiest pick possible next year--up to a 21 or 22 pick is not totally unreasonable.

3. wink3

wink3 Member

Our pick for next year isn't even lottery protected?

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

"NO LOTTO PICK IN '03!!!!"

You're right. We'll be too busy battling the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals to care.

;)

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No. There is a realgm.com thread (Thanks JuanValdez) that links to their site that has good draft info.