1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bengals expect HC Marvin Lewis now will remain in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Shaud, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Shaud

Shaud Member

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Ravens , Steelers , Browns are laughing somewhere in the room.............

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You've got that right!

The howling will continue if they decide to stick with Carson Palmer moving forward.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Unbelievable. Very surprised at this, even for the Bengals. When Lewis came out publicly with his list of demands to stay, I figured he was gone for sure.

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I'm surprised at this...very surprised..

6. buffalobills!!!

7. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I misread the Title.... I thought I read 'not' somewhere in there. I would have lost money on this bet.

I guess Lewis' agent said he wouldn't be able to find more money elsewhere this offseason? Maybe he'll sign a big contract and get fired in a year. :grin:

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

This is now in jeopardy according to Schefter

9. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

Bottom Line Bob must of inspired the Bungles owner.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i dont mind marvin, but i'm thinking he caved, my guess mike brown asked him if he wanted to be a coordinator somewhere be my guest, and marvin knew he wasnt going to get a HC job. wonder what the terms of the deal are though

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

List of Demands????
    What were those?

If the Texans are a circus. . . the Bengals are a carnival!

Rocket River

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

What demands??

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

See below. Somewhere else I read, Lewis was quoted as saying it wasn't just about the Bengals bringing him back, it was him deciding whether to come back. Reminds me of the rhetoric when Jim Haslett was let go by the Saints.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981214

People who have spoken to Marvin Lewis say that, as much as he'd like to stay in Cincinnati as the Bengals' coach, he believes it's time to move on from his current job -- unless the team makes changes it has been unwilling to make for years.

Lewis, whose contract expires after this season, will meet with Bengals president Mike Brown on Monday.

"All I know is, officially today I'm no longer employed," Lewis said. "Where I am right now in my coaching career is a different point from where I was eight years ago, and I think this football team is a lot different than it was eight years ago, and that's good. ... We're in a good spot."

Lewis would like the Bengals to upgrade their training facilities and their player personnel department, and he is so adamant on these issues that it is the reason he declined to sign the contract extension offered him before this season.

If Cincinnati is unwilling to budge on these issues -- and there is no indication they Bengals are -- then Lewis will not return to Cincinnati next season and he will become the latest desirable coach on the open market.

The Bengals have had only two winning records and lost their two playoff games during his eight seasons. Lewis has a 60-67-1 record following Sunday's 13-7 loss at Baltimore (11-5).

The Bengals had gone 15 years between winning records when he led them to the division title in 2005. They won it again last year, and splurged on the payroll to try to win their first back-to-back division titles in franchise history.

Instead, Lewis has presided over perhaps the franchise's biggest disappointment. The Bengals tied the club record by losing 10 in a row, and receiver Terrell Owens blamed the coaching staff for the offense's troubles. Cincinnati failed to sell out the last four home games.

Should Lewis leave, the Bengals have an ideal in-house candidate in defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

14. The Drake

The Drake Member

shrugs

It's not like we were going to get anyone better.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

For both the Bengals and Marvin Lewis, MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction) is better than alternatives.

16. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

He would of been great as our DC. FU BOB