1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Classical America] Parents of Overweight Children Cannot Distinguish That Their Children Are Overwe

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, May 8, 2015.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The height of American culture, technological advancement and political influence has culminated in this: our children are fat and we don't even know it. If parents are feeding their preschool children into obesity then this will probably translate into fat acceptance. It's sad that in this day and age, being fit looking or skinny is perceived as being something only the rich can afford, and being fat is just a product of being poor. You know, I think for the past thousand or so years, it was the other way around - until Classical America happened.

While I'm not certain about the strength of the research, the headline is certainly an attention grabber. I think this kind of misconception is also prevalent in parents of children over 5 years of age. I don't buy the genetics excuse and I don't buy the rich/poor excuse.

I was fat my last two years of high school when I played football, but to my defense I was cultivating mass and maxed out at 395 on squat and 275 on bench. That didn't apply to the vast majority of fat kids when I was a teen and I that holds true among kids today. BTW, I was 5'9" 195 at my biggest. My father was overweight, my mother is overweight, and my younger brother is fat (obese). Except those two years and my final year in college (when I approached 175 pounds), I have maintained a weight around 165-150 since high school.

I think one reason this article stands out is that the research focused on preschool children. These children are way too young to understand what a good diet is and way too young to have the discipline to maintain it. So really, this article speaks about the state of parenting in America. We're stupid or something.

#1 Cohete Rojo, May 8, 2015
    Last edited: May 8, 2015
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well if everyone is fat, how do you know you're fat?

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Sounds like fat person talk to me.

4. Major

Major Member

It probably doesn't help that when we decide there should be an effort to teach people about eating healthier, a group of crazy people rants about the evil government trying to take away our choices. A segment of our society relishes in making and keeping people stupid.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We can't let the "nanny state" take over.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Article didn't specify so I am guessing they used BMI. BMI is such total BS that this study tells me nothing.

7. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I don't think kids look particularly fat at under 5 unless they're very overweight. So no surprise to me that parents have the same impression of their kids as parents had in the earlier 88-94 group. Seems parents are no more, or less oblivious than parents were twenty years ago.

So to me...the bigger finding is the obvious one that the kids are fatter, but also that even at this age, and by parents, girls are judged more harshly about their weight than boys.

8. Remii

Remii Member

I heard Kerry Champion once say she likes a man with a belly because if he's eating she will get to eat too... Lol.

I think technology and so many TV channels with 24 hour programing for kids is why more of the youth is overweight than in years past. Too much stuff to keep them in the house instead of going outside and play.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I will revisit this thread when I'm not eating a cupcake.

10. Mr. Clutch

Why would the nanny state be the solution? Government guidelines told us forever that fat content in food is the culprit so we ended up gorging on processed foods and high fructose corn syrup.

Now they tell us its not the problem and that even cholesterol content in food is not a problem.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Given my pop psychology training, these results are totally unsurprising. I won't bother with any fat shaming or looking down my nose at other parents. I think it's useful to know the bias exists. When you know you're likely to not recognize the problem, you're more likely to find a way to get some objectivity. I'll come home today and scrutinize my kids, though they're underweight if anything.

1 person likes this.
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Funny thing is .. . Government might have started the whole thing . .. .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jonathan-bailor/obesity-epidemic_b_4355781.html

Rocket River

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Add in to the fears of what is OUTSIDE
    Hyper hype on pedophiles, murderers, and child snatchers . . ..
    I mean they out there but . .. . .we are more scare to let our children out of our sites than ever

Rocket River

14. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

When I get home I will examine my two year old. If I discover that she's fat I will scold her.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My primary fear is the meddling of busybodies who think it's their duty to call CPS if they don't think I'm doing enough to protect my children from said pedophiles, murderers and child snatchers.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

That article mentioned very little about how the government caused anyone to become obese. It also makes the bizarre claim that people have only been eating starches very recently. Really? Bread? Rice? These are recent additions to the human diet? Not sure I can take the Arriana Huffington Post seriously.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea. . .the term 'Free Range children' is a real thing
    Hilarious that it is actually a thing

The primary thing is that The idea that our FOUNDATION of meals
    should be mainly Grains . .. is a myth and propaganda
    which has lead us to eating too many . .. which contributes to the obesity

[​IMG]

Rocket River

18. Major

Major Member

I think it's funny that the federal government defining what food it's willing to buy is considered a nanny state as opposed to smart management of money. Or that the first lady encouraging kids to move around and get exercise is a nanny state.

19. Remii

Remii Member

The media has evolved... It didn't scare the shyt out of people as much as it does today.

I think many families have a fast food lifestyle as well to go along with unhealthy eating habits.

20. Mr. Clutch

I was referring more to the nutritional guidelines that were completely wrong combined with subsidies for companies that benefit from those guidelines.

I don't really have a problem with what you said.