1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Sports Entertainment News] NFL Wants Half-Time Acts to Pay-for-Play

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 21, 2014.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

They're insane. Only a handful of acts can afford it.

2. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

Greed is a mother****er...

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Makes sense. Seems like the bands/"artists" arguably benefit more than the NFL, so I can see it.

4. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Can't blame the NFL to try and recoup some of the expenses for the halftime show.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - that is hilarious.

DD

6. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I was expecting some pro wrestling news when i read, "Sports Entertainment News"

7. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I was but a wee child so my memory might be foggy. But if I recall correctly the NFL had really sh-tty half time shows. So much so that one year the FOX sketch comedy show 'In Living Color' did a whole live show during the NFL half time. They ran promotions for it for like two weeks and even had a counter on the bottom that told you when the game would start.

Anyway, when the rating were tallied I believe In Living Color had higher ratings during half time, in particular the key 18-35 male demo. This scared the NFL as they realized they could not charge crazy ad fees during that portion. Hence the big time musical acts that are now the norm.

The point being the NFL needs these acts as much as the acts need the exposure. This Camorra like tax might turn off a ton of acts simply because musicians don't make anything like they used too.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Couldn't read past the first 3 lines. Saw Katy Perry was a finalist. PLEASE PAY! I'll watch that **** on mute. God please, please let something pop out. Please.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Her breasts are literally PERFECT.

10. rudan

rudan Member

makes sense. Probably should have started 10-15 years ago. Its not like they are charging the national anthem singer :grin:

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

...yet.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Seems pretty greedy. The NFL needs the Artists as much as the Artists need them. However, I think they're smart enough to realize that the NFL is acting as one. The Artists do not. So all they need is a single act to break ranks and agree and that would be enough for the others to realize that they could stand with their principal, losing out on millions a year, as others keep accepting the gig.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The NFL needs to understand that people don't watch the halftime show because it's halftime. They watch it because of who's performing.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Can we pay for them to not play?

[​IMG]

This is a good, viable alternative. :)

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

and the NFL still doesn't pay taxes because it's not for profit

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well, I don't know. To be honest, I don't ever watch the halftime show because I have never found any halftime show enjoyable. I watched last year's after the fact because I was told it was so great, but didn't really care for it.

In any case, I'm sure if what you're saying is true then we'll see a dip in the halftime show ratings. So I guess we should wait and see.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I am surprised to learn that halftime has higher ratings than the rest of the Superbowl. That's when I go take a leak, get food, talk to people, whatever. I thought all the menfolk did that, and it was just the women that came in to actually watch the band. The shows are big, fancy affairs, but the acoustics are terrible and everything is rushed to fit into their little window. A Superbowl halftime show is probably the worst way to watch a concert. I don't know why anyone is watching, unless they're hoping for a wardrobe malfunction.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The NFL league office doesn't pay taxes because it is in fact a not for profit. However, the teams themselves that receive the revenue DO pay taxes on that income.

This is the weirdest complaint about the NFL.

All of the employees pay taxes, the revenue itself is taxed at the team level.

19. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

As a musician, I think this is fine, as long as the NFL allows me to attend games for free while they just play games for "the exposure."

Or maybe they can show cats in zero gravity during halftime. That would be WAY more interesting than watching Coldplay or Katy Perry.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Is the tv on when you leave the room? Do the ratings people know that you are taking a piss?