1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Chris Paul was my teammate I would shoot 40 times instead of 29 - Kobe

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Jan 5, 2012.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

ESPN - Rick Reilly

2. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

To be fair, Kobe is not just shooting more but also passing more as his assist % is a career high 34.5%. That being said, if you're using 38.9% of the possessions, you're being a ballhog. He's had stretches like this before especially in 05-06 except then he was hitting his shots so he looked like god. He really must be pissed about the non-trade/Odom trade.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

We'll see how many shots he's taking by the end of the season.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he wins games. he makes great decisions. who cares how many times he shoots? its his job.

1 person likes this.
  5. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I used to hate Kobe. But after hearing about how much time he puts in the off season dedicated just for shooting, I have some newfound respect for him.

6. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Imagine _____ with Kobe's drive.

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

The truth is, even though Kobe "took over the game" in the 4th quarter against us and made some critical shots, he never would've needed to do that if he hadn't been such a ballhog and missed so many shots earlier in the game... the Lakers would already have had a double digit lead in the 4th if they got Gasol and Bynum into the action better.

Gasol looks frustrated too. Not just about the trade... it's probably hard for a scorer to get going when you only get a few touches each quarter.

1 person likes this.
  8. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I used to be Kobe hater but I kinda understand the game more now and let me tell you, he is the best.

Yeah, he shoots too much and what? Everybody on the Lakers is and should be fine with that. Come one, the man had done it ALL and he is proven in every category. He is the main part of the team which means he is making the key decisions all the time and don't forget he ain't God, he is just a random person. Ok, maybe not random. When you have to make every key decision you will struggle sometimes and make few bad ones.

Ask every coach around the NBA who would they draw to take the last shot of the game even now if they had all NBA players. I am sure 80% of the would choose Kobe, that Kobe at the age of 33.

The only problem with that is his age which forces him into changing his game a little bit and he may not always be ok with that because when you used to do something (like jump over people) and you can't do it no longer, it is diffcult cause you will still attempt to do that.

Kobe is great, one of the greatest and if not him taking 30 shots the Lakers would be crap.

And winning 5 rigs ENDS the story.

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I agree with Kobe here. Tyreke ballhogs and loses games.
    Kobe in a technical sense ballhogs and wins games.

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Thabeet!

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

^ this

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

There is no doubt that Kobe drives better than Tiger.

I don't care if you can drive 300 yards on a fair way. You still wrecked your car on your drive way?????

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fascinating

[​IMG]

14. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

ehehehehehehehehhehhhehhehe

15. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

so...he could drive well on the fairway...but didn't fare so well on the driveway??

1 person likes this.
  16. MiracleShot

MiracleShot Member

What an unfortunate typo :grin:

17. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

Anyone who doesn't understand that Kobe shooting too much is detrimental to the success of the Lakers doesn't understand basketball. And trying to justify their point by pointing to rings won primarily by Kobe sharing the basketball and scoring at key junctures is just silly.

That being said, as someone who doesn't care to see the Lakers win another title with Kobe, I'm thrilled at his high usage rate. He's got way to many miles on him and he's going to burn out - and he may just turn his teammates off to boot.

Kobe isn't the only one who wishes the trade worked out - Pau would have loved to get away from him too.

18. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Heh, is that really that common of a saying?

I thought that all the time about McGrady, though... as much as I hate Kobe. Lawdy would that have been scary.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't know why people still hate on Kobe with the same ballhog argument. I hated Kobe, but not because of the ballhog or anything having to do with his on court play. I don't think there is a player since Jordan that could match his drive to perfection off the court. I think all he does is practice. AI would be ashamed.

20. sonnyiztheone

sonnyiztheone Member

if kobe is on the rockets, he can shoot as much as he wants. Cuz I know he can score way better than anyone we have.