1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NASCAR] Tony Stewart apparently runs over opposing driver

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by tellitlikeitis, Aug 9, 2014.

1. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

It is hard to tell but one thing I keep reading all over the net is that Stewart accelerated and swung the rear tire into him . This absolutely does not happen at any point . The rear of the car swings away from Ward . This could be as Stewart claims he was attempting to miss him but it was too little to late .

2. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The driver in front says he barely saw him. Unfortunately most of Stewart's car moving is because of the impact with Ward. I just wish there was another video with a wider viewing range so that it could be clearly reviewed. Those cars are on dirt and drift around a lot, he couldn't dodge as well as he could on a track.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Apparently there's a second video out there.

That will probably shed a lot more light on the situation.

4. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

They played a short clip on espn of one of the other drivers . He was two cars back from Stewart and said he saw no malicious intent from Stewarts actions on the track . This guy was also very good friends with Ward .

5. i3artow i3aller

Well that’s not even close to being right. ESPN doing it big per usual. It’s not like this is a tragic situation or anything though. **** it. Let’s just throw whatever up there and tweet it out. It’ll be fine. What’s the kid’s name again who got killed and it’s one of the biggest sports stories of the year? Tony Ward Jr.? Sounds kinda right. No need to fact check it. And let’s go ahead and use Tony Stewart’s picture when it makes no logical sense to do so. Our Twitter account only has 134,000 followers. Annnnnd SENT!
    [​IMG]

6. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

That's just comical

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rQUOTEr]NASCAR has implemented a new rule prohibiting drivers from exiting their cars after on-track incidents unless "extenuating circumstances exist," NASCAR vice president Robin Pemberton announced Friday.

The new rule states that if cars involved in an on-track incident are unable to make forward progress, the driver must shut off electrical power, lower the window net and then wait, without removing any personal safety equipment, until safety personnel or a NASCAR official arrives on the scene.

The rule states that "at no time, should a driver or crew member approach any portion of the racing surface or apron" or "approach another moving vehicle."

Extenuating circumstances include "fire, smoke in cockpit, etc."

The rules change comes in the wake of last Saturday's incident in which Sprint Cup driver Tony Stewart struck and killed driver Kevin Ward Jr. during a dirt-track race in New York.

Stewart will sit out his second straight race this week.

After Stewart clipped Ward's car, sending it spinning, Ward got out of the car during the caution period, walked down the track and was hit by Stewart. The rules change "is on the heels of that," Pemberton said.

"Throughout the history of our sport, NASCAR has reviewed and analyzed situations and occurrences that take place not just in NASCAR racing but also throughout all motorsports and other sports," Pemberton said. "When we believe we can do something to make our sport safer and better for the competitors and others involved in the competition environment, we react quickly. Safety always has been priority No. 1 at NASCAR."

As with other behavioral infractions, NASCAR will handle each instance separately when assessing potential penalties.

http://goo.gl/sJ687A[/rQUOTEr]

8. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I don't understand how that wasn't a rule already. Any update on the investigation NASCAR is doing?

9. codell

codell Contributing Member

It wasn't a NASCAR incident so they aren't doing any type of investigation.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

It was reckless. Whether he had intent or not, only Stewart knows. But I think 4 drivers were able to avoid him and I believe Tony could have as well. My take is that he wanted to scare him, not intentionally hit him and it took a turn for the worst.

Now I'm not excusing the other driver for getting out the car. I believe they are told not to get out of your car unless its on fire or something. But this isn't the first time somebody got out of their car. And Tony Stewart is a known hot head. I know folks have made the argument of "well if he never got out the car, none of this happens" but lets say you are illegally crossing the street, and im driving down the road and I clearly see you but I'm like "Oh hes illegally crossing, whatever happens its on him so I don't need to slow down." Then I hit you.

It was an accident. All bets are off since you illegally crossed the street. I mean, I guess I could have slowed down and tried harder to avoid you or swerve into oncoming traffic, but you put yourself in that position when you illegally crossed the street.

Now, with all that said, I'm going to be in a little trouble right? Or can I chalk it up as a complete accident with no neglagence or recklessness on my part?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good points and I agree, but devils advocate on why the other people missed him and Tony didn't... he was purposely walking toward Tony's car to confront him specifically, not the others.

I almost feel like you punish Tony and you are indirectly saying that he killed the guy, and i'm just not sure nascar wants to have that hanging over one of their racers. Like you said, it may be best to chalk it up to a terrible accident and leave it at that.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That is ridiculous.

13. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Well yeah, of course im saying he killed the guy. Because he did lol. Tony's car, hit Ward and that caused his death. Intentionally or accidental, he killed the guy. I don't think thats disputable. Of course Nascar doesn't want that, but whatever is in the best interest of Nascar, should not matter at all. A man died out there. Tony should be held to some accountability. Or Am I wrong here?

And I wasn't saying its best to chalk it up as a terrible accident, I don't think its that simple. In the scenario I gave in my previous post, I don't think cops are just going to let me off clean with a "terrible accident". There doesn't need to be criminal intent to be charged. I would think I would get hit with some type of manslaughter charge pending investigation or at the least, a reckless driving charge. But all that happened within the sport so I'm not sure what rules/laws apply or not. I don't know how this gets dealt with.

As for the video, its hard to tell exactly how far or how close Ward was to the cars/track and what exactly he was trying to do. Was he trying to get in front of Tony's car to stop him or was he just trying to get his attention or whatever? Its hard to say unless you were there.

To be clear, I'm not saying he intentionally killed the guy. But I do think in the heat of the moment, egos kicked in and he was trying to send a message to some punk kid trying to show him up and scare him. It went terribly wrong and Tony accidentally killed the guy.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.tmz.com/2014/09/24/tony-stewart-cleared-by-grand-jury-in-race-track-death/

And confirmed:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Tony Stewart not charged in the death of Kevin Ward Jr. <a href="http://t.co/Cxt2AbJm76">http://t.co/Cxt2AbJm76</a></p>&mdash; USA TODAY Sports (@USATODAYsports) <a href="https://twitter.com/USATODAYsports/status/514852521144508416">September 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Toxicology reports determine that Kevin Ward Jr. was under the influence of mar1juana on the night he was killed. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NASCAR?src=hash">#NASCAR</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TonyStewart?src=hash">#TonyStewart</a></p>&mdash; Christian Bruey (@CBrueyWFTV) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBrueyWFTV/status/514852212305301504">September 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

#174 J.R., Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  15. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ya mean he was all hopped up on that mind altering canabis? Its a wonder more people werent killed.