1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cushing: Cut or Not?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Mar 5, 2015.

?

Should the Texans Cut Brian Cushing?

1. YES! On to the New

35 vote(s)
    47.9%
  2. No! He is a Texans Lifer!

24 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. Respectfully Abstain

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cushing is not the Cushing of old
    Cutting him would open up more money
    Since Andre is gone. . .. Myers is gone .. . .. seems like they making a grab to free up as much money as possible
    and
    out with the old and in with the new

So . .Cut or Not?

Rocket River

2. mario_v

mario_v Member

Texans would lose over five million against the cap if they cut Cushing.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He would cost the team 5 million dollars more against the cap if he were cut so barring a pants on head r****ded moment by the entire FO, I'd guess he's safe.

4. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Like stated previously, it would be much more harmful to the Texans to cut him given his dead money hit. You give him this season to return to his previous playing standards. If he fails you say goodbye, if he succeeds, you probably still restructure his contract.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thanks Guys .. . I was trying to figure this out
    Co Worker made it sounds like we would save money

Rocket River

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No worries, your coworker was mistaken, Cushing would have 13.5 million worth of dead money if he was cut this year and his cap hit is "only" 7.8 mil.

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rick Smith messed up by extending Cush way to early. The Texans can't afford to cut him for two more years.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's still to be determined if the new deal was "messing up" or not. I know the jerking of knees is a fun and popular thing to do, but how about we give him a little bit of slack, he was coming off of serious knee injuries, it often takes a while to get back to 100%

9. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Nope. Don't do it. Hurts the cap, and I think he still has good football in front of him. Dude is a warrior. Look at what he played through last year. He'll be a different animal this year. He needs help next to him though.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Is Cushing worth what he is getting paid...??? If he isn't it may be worth taking the cap hit especially if the Texans don't intend on spending every penny of their available cap space.

11. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

As of today, Since signing it he hasn't lived up to the contract. That isn't on him seeing how he's had freak injuries after another. But for the amount of dead money that would be created if they cut him this year, would seriously hinder the Texans in signing our own FA let alone allowing them to fill other positions of need. They also nearly always spend 95%+ of the cap.

Last year alone they only had a little over a million remaining. With as many positions of need as they have this year, they can't realistically fill those holes through the draft. They will be spending nearly every penny they got to fill a roster this year.

12. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

No. I think he'll be another case of Demeco.

13. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Too bad the correct answer isn't even an option on the poll.

He's not getting cut this year but he'll be gone sooner or later.

14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Cush had 3 surgeries this offseason.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That some fine managin' there Rick.

16. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

While I don't agree with cutting him this season, I also don't agree with him being a "Texan for life". Right now, whether we like it or not, were stuck with what we got. We just gotta hope either through the draft or free agency we can find a guy to fill that position, because right now, we can't say for certain that we have a solid replacement.

17. Remii

Remii Member

From my understanding last year they didn't have much cap space at all. How much will they have this year after they cut AJ...?

18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

They levereaged his injury to lower the cost; it's a calculated risk and a little unfair to run it exclusively through the prism of hindsight. If they don't extend him and he returns to previous All-Pro form, he's *infinitely* more expensive.

That's not true. They can save ~ $2MM cutting him next year.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

About $28MM - but that's not including their free agents and it doesn't account for the roughly $5MM they'll have to allocate for draft picks.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Cushing's situation is weird.

In 2011, he was a monster. He got off to a good start in 2012, but then tore his ACL, and our defense fell off a cliff down the stretch because of it. We waited until after all of training camp and pre-season to give him his extension in 2013 (thereby seeing him at "full speed"). Then that grusome broken leg and LCL tear came. I think that injury really wrecked him. His knee seems to have continually bothered him, plus he had a broken wrist this year. I don't know if he'll ever be the same. But I don't really fault the Texans for the extension. Injuries happen. He was seemingly 100% after the ACL tear.

As for cutting him, they really can't/shouldn't cut him for 2 more years. Saving 2MM isn't really saving anything, because even the Cushing we have come to know is worth that much.

He's probably a goner come 2017 unless he turns it around.