1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Emergence of Terrence Jones the silver lining?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jason0215, Jul 26, 2014.

1. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Both Lillard and LMA were completely ungaurdable in that series. They hit big shot after big shot after big shot. Am very interested in who the rockets hire as their new defensive coach, cuz McHales defensive schemes did not work at all.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

LMA was guarded very well in games 3-6. Defensive scheme worked great against LMA....It was Jones not executing the scheme and LMA making some great shots when the Rockets did execute that turned great performances to career nights games 1 and 2.

Lilliard is guardable just not by who Rockets had, an unhealthy Beverley, Lin, and Harden when he decided to switch to Lilliard against the defensive scheme. Don't get me wrong, Lilliard would still get his, but he would have been guarded a little tighter if Beverley was healthy.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

That is false, Asik did not contain nor stop LMA period. Dwight on the othe other hand was most effective guarding LMA.

4. basketballholic

That is false. Asik was the best defender on LaMarcus period. Throughout the playoffs and in the games in the regular season that we played against them.

Dwight defended LaMarcus out of necessity when _ones was in there...leaving _ones to deal with Lopez, who ate _ones up down low. _ones was completely mismatched against both of Portland's bigs.

5. jump shooter

So I guess what your saying is Beverly gets a pass for Lillard lighting him up, but the 21 year old TJ was the entire defensive problem.

6. basketballholic

NO...that's not what he said. That's your extrapolation of what he said.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

No, Beverley being hurt was part of the problem, too. Basically with Beverley hurt, the Rockets defense was composed of Howard only until Asik started getting more playing time. Even though Asik slowed down LMA, having two centers on the floor hurt the defense as the lack of speed really hurt the Rockets ability to help on the perimeter. Harden, Parsons, Jones, Lin, and Daniels were not playing defense.

8. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

i believe this was already covered in the thread.

a young player had trouble with a veteran elite player. shocking!

one series doesn't define a player.

9. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Your post is exactly why I am not nostalgic at all about last year's team. Just the addition of a very good defensive player in Ariza can have a tremendous effect on a team. It remains to be seen how we look when it really counts, but Bev, Ariza and Howard should make it harder for the opposing team to score points. Finally, Adrien is a fundamentally sound two-way player. If he is added to the starting lineup, it will be a living hell for the bad guys.

10. jump shooter

Lin at times was effective in checking Lillard especially in Game 6 but McHale went away from it for some reason, he was totally crowding Lillard with and without the ball.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It hurts losing Parsons, but it does make it seem easier to "fix" the defense. Rockets could be above average at defense in starting lineup at all the positions except SG if the Rockets have someone besides Jones. That would give the Rockets a chance to cover for Harden against opposing starting lineups. I've not seen enough of Adrien lately to attest to him being a fit.

From what I remember, Lin may have been playing better defense in that series than Beverley in more than game 6.

12. jump shooter

Agree

13. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

I love TJones, I always thought we undervalued him too often.

14. Houston Rockets

Tjones will average 15pt 8rb ;) and he will be much better on defense. He will be our third best player next season :grin:

15. basketballholic

Terrence
    _ones
    will
    be
    traded.

16. Houston Rockets

Book it bro tjones has a good chance IMO to be a all star

17. dje243

dje243 Member

Does anyone remember the stud defense DMO played on Dirk that one time? His defense is eventually going to push him into the starting lineup (If he can just stay in the game long enough).

18. Houston Rockets

No way does Dmo start over TJones

19. Verbatim

Verbatim Member

I see a motivated DMO actually earning the starting spot.

By the time he is thru the National games. He will be even better.

He will actually play defense. He also has a good post game and he has some range also.

But really I think TJones will be traded for some near star player. No way to get a true star in trade because not enough assets to trade.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure. But the Terrence Jones we know won't. At least for now.

It is just your version in your perfect fantasy bball world.