1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Surprise surprise, Bush to lift more environment regulations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SpaceCity, Mar 21, 2001.

Tags:
  1. SpaceCity

SpaceCity Contributing Member

http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010321/05/news-bush-environment

Yea! Arsenic for everyone!

I predict that by the end of JR's term that Houston will no longer be the smoggiest city in the country. By the time Bush gets through lifting every environmental regulation out there, all cities will have the opportunity to have as much smog as we do.

Nothing like equal opportunity for smog consumption. Bush is truly a man for the people, for sure.

------------------

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Guess you should have did a better job in punching those chads in Florida! [​IMG]

------------------

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Why are you surprised? [​IMG]

Yep! and Yee Haw!!!

Let's jus rape the environment and employees soos big business can make more money!

Judge denies Bush administration request to delay hearing on forest plan

http://www.nandotimes.com/politics/story/0,1068,500465860-500711738-503923452-0,00.html

Bush signs ergonomics repeal

http://www.nandotimes.com/politics/story/0,1068,500465739-500711521-503922153-0,00.html

Can't wait to see what else this clown is going to try and do for big business.

Oh! But wait! He's the great uniter! Lookin' out for the little guy!

Huh?

Riiight!

------------------
    Everything you do, effects everything that is.

4. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

He better start working on Election 2004, because he's going to need one hell of a campaign to get the 100 electoral votes needed to look half-way respectable. He has already guaranteed a democratic president in 2004 after only two months in office. The democrats will win in 2004, that is, if our species hasn't been wiped out by then.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

5. haven

haven Member

Bush will never be re-elected. It just ain't happening. He only won once because Gore was a complete turkey. If even a decent candidate runs against him, he's doomed. Especially with minorities, voting more and more... and with the economy going south... the Democrats are IN next time. Ah well... the Republicans have basically NO CHANCE at retaining control of the Senate in 2 years [​IMG]. Get all you want done NOW!

I think Russ Feingold would clobber him by 20 points, or something. If you actually poll people, you find that most people poll as moderate-leaning left. Bush won in a personality contast, only... issues kept it close. If a guy with a decent personality runs...

------------------
    Boston College - Big East -East Division Regular Season Champs

Worst to First in 2001!

[This message has been edited by haven (edited March 22, 2001).]

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Clinton won on pure personality twice--that and scare tactics. It's obvious that's what the American voter cares about. If Bush is more charming than the other guy next time, he will win again.

------------------
    "There's a lot of things you can say about playing with Dream, but I get to say, `I played with the Dream.' That speaks for itself." --Walt Williams

"****!" --Kenny Thomas

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Finally! TheFreak and I agree on something! YEE-HAW!

Seriously, brotherman is right. Positions on issues, beliefs & platforms have nothing to do with elections anymore. It's all about charm, personality and likeability.

Pass the pepto-bismol...

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

8. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

speaking of environmental regs...

all this BS about drilling in Alaska is bunk!
    How can anyone, in their right mind, say that by drilling in Alaska, no harm will come to the environment and that they will have no impact on the Alaskan wilderness?? What? You've got to be STUPID!! What happens when a company sets up drill rigs? First of all, if the area they drill isn't clear, they clear it. Which means cutting down trees and making makeshift rutted roads. Is this no impact? Birds will be displaced, trees chopped and road created where there once weren't any.

If anyone has ever seen a land drill rig, it's not a pretty site and they're noisy. How can this be "no impact"???

Another thing.. how is this going to solve energy problems? Do people actually believe that if they drill in Alaska that they'll be able to sell that oil cheaper than OPEC?? I thought that any oil sold on the market has to be priced across the board? In other words it has to compete with OPEC prices?

This is all whack!

rH

------------------
    Homecourt will always be 'The Summit' to me!! Until we move downtown!!
    The Psychedelic Groove House of Rockets Basketball Love!
    Come and chat with us on game nights in CC.net chat!

Chickety China, the Chinese Chicken.
    Have a drumstick and your brain starts clickin'

9. haven

haven Member

TheFreak: Forgetting already that Gore had more popular votes than Bush? Bush won this time on a fluke against a COMPLETE STIFF that was in an administration beset by scandal. 33% of independents indicated that the scandals affected their voting.

Generally, issues are slightly more prominent in most projections than personality... although it's close. Interesting reading, if you have the time and inclination.

In any event, America is increasingly becomeing center-left... and I don't think Republicans have many more years left. The thing is, Republicans ALWAYS have to steal Democratic votes... and they've been lucky, recently. Nixon got in by promising to end the Viet Nam War, Reagan got in because Carter goofed in Iran, and Bush got in because Reagan created an perfect economy that was doomed in the long-term.

But Democratic presidents aren't inherently bad at foreign policy... just happened that way for a couple guys. Unless Democrats start screwing up, the nation will naturally gravitate back to a left-center government.

This might not happen-there's always a chance that Democrats WILL screw up... but the vote is inherently theirs to lose. Study the demographics.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

10. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Can he piss me off just a little bit more????

FYI....we are all going to be dead by 2004 if this keeps up.

Also I think I see WWIII coming on pretty soon.....

------------------
    "Chucky who?" Charles Barkley

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Amen, brother Freak, amen. Personality and the ability to convince people are far more important in our political system than "true qualifications".

------------------
    "It doesn't matter. If it's the Lakers or the Spurs, I'm going to kill them." -- Cuttino "Jack" Mobley on possible playoff opponents.

12. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Nope. Didn't realize that was relevant in this discussion. In fact, it's not really relevant in any discussion until the Electoral College ceases to exist.

Well, I agree about the 'stiff' part. I don't believe scandal had much to do with it though. Look at Clinton's approval ratings--scandal didn't matter to people. There was scandal prior to the '96 election--didn't make a difference, Clinton still won, because he was told people what they wanted to hear and came across better on camera. Who came across better on camera this time? Bush.

Not in the presidential race where more (read:uninformed) people come out of the woodwork to vote. In other less publicized races, yes, issues matter. Not in the presidential one though. Look at the Nixon/Kennedy debates--those who listened to the debate on the radio thought Nixon won, those who watched it on TV thought Kennedy won. Substance doesn't matter--it's all style.

What, so you think parties cling to the same stances that they've had from the beginning? Clinton ran as a Republican, for crying out loud. The parties will do whatever it takes to retain appeal--they will do what's popular. Thinking one party's 'ideals' are eventually going to make the other one obsolete is crazy.

The rest of your post is all partisan junk that I don't need to respond to. [​IMG] (ugh, I hate having to put those in)

------------------
    "There's a lot of things you can say about playing with Dream, but I get to say, `I played with the Dream.' That speaks for itself." --Walt Williams

"****!" --Kenny Thomas

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

How could anyone think that Bush is "charming"? Gore outclasses him in every way. I don't know how that election was even close. I guess America just took a stupid pill on New Years 2000 and it never wore off.
    I have a question for the Bush supporters. What do you think about the environment? Would you rather protect the economy, and drill our last few nature preserves? Or hurt the economy for the sake of keeping our planet green for decades?
    You can't keep ignoring environmental problems. Ground level ozone and global warming are very real issues. Do you care? Or is it our grand children's problem?
    I imagine you'll select the latter.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

14. Hydra

Hydra Member

I think we could really help out the environment if everyone stopped driving cars, using factories and pretty much went back to the Middle ages. That doesn't mean it is a good idea. I would suggest that you wait until his fours years are up before you decide if Bush did a good job, instead of condemning him because he repeals a few things that Clinton snuck in on his way out the door.

------------------
    "We messed with the Bull, and we got the horns." -- Larry Brown "quote" from AirBullard.com

15. haven

haven Member

Damn. I was hoping I wouldn't have to post again in this thread. Ah well, here it goes.

BTW, I can't do bold or italics despite following the code in the FAQ. Anyone else have this problem.

TheFreak:

"

Nope. Didn't realize that was relevant in this discussion. In fact, it's not really relevant in any
    discussion until the Electoral College ceases to exist."

Not for the purposes of my argument. If the election was a pure personality contest, Bush would have won the popular vote as well. You agree that Gore's a stiff... but he still got more votes *somehow*.

"Well, I agree about the 'stiff' part. I don't believe scandal had much to do with it though. Look at
    Clinton's approval ratings--scandal didn't matter to people. There was scandal prior to the '96
    election--didn't make a difference, Clinton still won, because he was told people what they
    wanted to hear and came across better on camera. Who came across better on camera this
    time? Bush."

Good point here. Can't agree though, as with Clinton one had a record to weigh against the scandal. With Gore, people evidently took the misgivings about the scandal to the polling booth, but left behind perceived credit for Clinton's record. Inconsistent, and unfortunate for Gore.

"

Not in the presidential race where more (read:uninformed) people come out of the woodwork to
    vote. In other less publicized races, yes, issues matter. Not in the presidential one though. Look
    at the Nixon/Kennedy debates--those who listened to the debate on the radio thought Nixon
    won, those who watched it on TV thought Kennedy won. Substance doesn't matter--it's all
    style."

The Kennedy-Nixon debates have been cited for years, and they are a good point. But there's also a lot of evidence to suggest it was an anomaly. For one, Kennedy was an exceptional speaker, whereas Nixon was horrendous. Those extremes haven't occurred to the same extent since. Secondly, television was still a novelty at that time. People weren't used to the medium, so it could be exploited more. We're more cynical now.

"

What, so you think parties cling to the same stances that they've had from the beginning?
    Clinton ran as a Republican, for crying out loud. The parties will do whatever it takes to retain
    appeal--they will do what's popular. Thinking one party's 'ideals' are eventually going to make the
    other one obsolete is crazy."

Clinton did triangulate quite a few Republican issues, but most of his platform was left-center, which is exactly where most of America is heading. And it's not crazy to think that one party will become dominant. America's electoral politics have been more balanced than any other nations across the years.

Look at Japan for crying out loud... one party dominated for 50 years. Same occurred in France and Germany to a lesser extent (say 20-30 years, or so). The Scandinavian countries CONSTANTLY elect their more liberal party.

Neither party is ever going to seize complete control, but a prolonged dominance is not out of the question. Of course, I don't favor this... since it would mean that the Democrats would adopt Clinton's moderate-left agenda, and I'm a bleeding heart liberal.

The Republicans could possibly do the same by dropping the right-wing social platform and making economics their issue (that's what happened in Japan). I doubt it will happen though.

------------------

Worst to First in 2001!

16. Gascon

Gascon Member

But he just makes it so easy, Hydra. [​IMG]

------------------
    "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another which states that this has already happened."

Douglas Adams

17. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Yeah, Mines need to be put on the Endangered species list, save them or there is no way society can continue to damage the earth at such a fast rate....Rio Tinto SUX!!!

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Why did Bush do this ? Is more arsenic in our h2o gonna save taxpayers money ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

[This message has been edited by gr8-1 (edited March 22, 2001).]

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Freak is right on this one. Clinton won by adopting center-right positions. Hell, the guy ran in 1992 on tax cuts.

I disagree entirely that the county is moving center-left. In fact, I've seen poll after poll indicate that, issue by issue, the Republican party stance is far more in line with what people desire.

By the way..the ergonomics thing was easily the silliest regulation ever!! I think...wait...I might think of another silly regulation. But the ergonomics one is right towards the top. I own a small business myself. I can tell you that if I have to invest in all new office equipment to meet those kinds of regulations I'll be passing the costs on to my client. Don't you guys understand that?? Don't you understand that ultimately the "little guy" you seek to protect pays for all this??? I wonder sometimes!

------------------

[This message has been edited by MadMax (edited March 22, 2001).]

20. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Oh what was the topic? [​IMG]

Oh yeah Arsenic! Yee-hoo! I used to work at Kennecott Utah Copper Environmental Engineering, boy we liked our arsenic there.

slcrocket doesn't know it (don't tell him), but there's an acid plume about 400' deep 2 or 3 miles wide beneath all of West Valley in the Salt Lake Valley. When it hits the Jordan River, whoa... major catastrophic environmental damage. Hell, cyanide runs off the gold leachate ponds everytime it rains.

When I worked there (97-98) we had to resoil the town of Herriman 3-4' deep in some places. 1200ppb Pb leads to developmental disabilities? hehe. We boosted up the work to show that 2400ppb Pb was safe. Those kids there are going to drool a little bit too much.

Mines need all of the help they can get! Protect the worker! Wait, Kennecott just laid off another 500 people. Protect the Australians! Long live Corporate Australia! Rio Tinto rules!

------------------
    (===)