1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damian Lillard

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by haoafu, May 3, 2012.

1. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damian-Lillard-6152/

Didn't find a thread for him, and surprised by that. He's a really good player already but was probably perceived with less potential than those top picks.

It's similar to Kevin Love and Faried. Those guys are top of the chart efficient college players and were drafted lower than their true worth.

If Suns pick him before us like draftexpress projected, we are going to regret the last game of the season and it'll just like how we missed Brandon Roy by one pick.

His consistent and significant efficiency improvement over 4 years is unbelievable(check this for Brandon Roy and Parsons and Faried and you'll see what I mean). All the data point to a superstar, but all the hype is not there yet. The knock is the level of competition, but I wouldn't be surprised if he and Anthony Davis become the best players from this draft.

#1 haoafu, May 3, 2012
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If they were able to move up to like #10 or 11 without losing a pick, i would be happy to pick him up. Especially with the likely departure of Lowry.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kevin Love was a # 5 pick, and was then traded for the #3 pick. He didn't exactly slip. And it was a very strong top 7 draft. Rose, Beasley, Mayo, Westbrook, Love, Gallinari, Gordon.

Faried is probably a better comparison.

I didn't see any of Lillard play. It seems like he's moved up the draft board a fair amount. Again, without having seen him play, if I was to just randomly make up potential concerns, its that he was what, a redshirted 5th year senior, playing in a lesser league (it doesn't appear they played any meaningful competition all year), where he dominated as a scorer but was only so-so as a set-up guy, and he's only 6'2. Is he a real PG, or more of a Mo Williams type?

I'm not saying he can't or won't be a long-time contributor in the NBA. I just imagine his upside is limited, and I'd rather the Rockets swing and potentially miss but potentially hit a home run on a high upside guy, or take a safer pick at a position of need, as opposed to a position they're better at.

just my two cents. again, haven't seen him play much beyond highlights.

4. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Agree with most of your comments. Another comparison is Eric Maynor brought up by draftexpress. Both are small school players and improve year by year. Lillard has the better phisical attributes and is also a good defender unlike Maynor. And his numbers are better as well.

Talking about upside, I think Lillard has plenty of it. He's phsicallly gifted and still only 21. Also I think the way he improves over the years is a better indication of his upside.

#4 haoafu, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Thought he'd reach top 10 when I saw his performances like two years ago and followed him since then. One of the most consistent and under the radar players in NCAA, stats-wise he's a star and has good upside.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Nothing says "Come on down!" to Sergio Llull like drafting a third point guard. :)

Lacking that star you likely still have to go best available -- there is no definite position that the Rockets "need" to draft over taking the player with the most upside in general, though big men in general are still in short supply. As for need though, there could be a case for drafting a point guard, especially if you have a Kyle Lowry trade in your back pocket. Goran Dragic returning is not 100%.

Thread not complete without some Lillard highlights:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MHBDW6tNcvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dzn0Z7tH7-8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Not to derail the thread, but I wonder sometimes about Llull. It'd be great to bring him over and not have him re-sign overseas, but this would necessitate a good-sized contract and, let's face it, a trade of Lowry or letting Dragic go.

But we only need a PG in the draft if Llull re-signs overseas. Lowry and Dragic can't both be the HMFIC on the floor.

8. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

There's only a handful ways you can draft a star at the 14th pick
    1. Foreign
    2. Enters draft too early
    3. Mid-major conference
    4. Character issues

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Right... I should have been more clear though -- Llull isn't an option until 2013 really. The buyout is large until then. Plus, like you said, we'd have to have a playing time opportunity for him.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well, one of Lowry or Dragic will be gone so there will be time for him to play. I don't think he will make it to 14 so we would have to move up a bit.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yack yack yack. This guy is a serious player.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Like what I've seen from him...which is little due to his team. Looks like he can do a lot for himself. He would be great with another PG who can defend the 2. Seems like a fit with Lowry, Dragic, and maybe Llull.

I don't know if he'll ever be a starter, but he is the type of PG that can make a 2nd unit.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Here is a workout video. He looks taller than first thought. I have seen different listings for his height. Some 6'3 others 6'4.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cfVgz-L0UhU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This kid has some heavy promotion going. Nice little "unofficial" commercial.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0bEjoBzlq0I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. jvu

jvu Member

the level of competition did not impress me, but he looks like a heavy work ethic. Rockets material.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Remember when everyone was wishing they could combine all the best qualities of Aaron Brooks and Kyle Lowry into one player?

Well, that's Damian Lillard.

Plus, at 6-2, he's a couple of inches taller than either of them.

I think he's going to be one of the 5 best players to come out of this draft. If the Rockets can trade up to get him, they should do it.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Im a fan of this kid. This guy is quick and can shoot lights out. Im sold.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

He will be all that. Really like this kid a lot. Can you say Tony Parker with more shooting range?

If we can't pull off the Dwight/Dwill thing, then I'm all for trading up for this guy, moving Lowry and Scola for a serious upgrade in the paint, and re-signing Goran and letting his trade value ferment.

18. Pete the Cheat

I appreciate all the insight on Lillard...but what does it say about the direction of the team if you were to move up to make this pick?

in all likelihood, Lowry would have to be dealt to make this pick.
    does Gogi remain priority #1 this offseason regardless?
    what does it say about the long term prospects of Llull?

certainly doesn't instill much confidence that we are moving off of the mediocrity treadmill...

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Lillard will go top 6. There are just too many teams in the top eight in need of a PG. Sacramento will probably draft him at 5.

20. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Like most here I am a fan of this kids and see alot of upside in his game at the next level. In another thread I had us making a few trades and ending up with T.Evans and higher picks then our current 2 (5 and 9-12) while giving away our two firsts this year, a future 1, Lowery, Martin, Budinger and Patterson.

What really excites me is the chance to have Lillard, Gragic and Evans on the court together at times. This could be a high scoring line that can still be counted on defensively.