1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland Willing to Deal No. 13

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by thumbs, May 23, 2008.

Tags:
  1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

As mentioned in the RealGM exerpts, Portland is willing to deal its #13 pick. Is there a limit on how much cash can be tendered for a cash sale? We don't have any players they would want, except perhaps Brooks. Give them Brooks and cash!

Rats! I just noticed their source -- an unmentionable website. Never mind until this can be confirmed by a credible source. Apologies, Clutch.

2. ibm

ibm Member

why brooks? luther head makes more sense. well, to us anyway. :)

seriously, i don't track college hoops that much. any good target at #13?

3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Mayo, Bayless, Budinger (if he opts in). Everyone says Mayo top 6, but won't happen.

4. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

err, are you sure? miami might even take him at #2...
    or trade down to get him.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Actually, they're saying the Heat really like him and may even take him with the 2nd pick. Bayless is also generally regarded as a top 10 pick. In fact, I haven't seen anyone list him lower than 8. Budinger is the only guy you named who will likely be available at 13.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draf...ry?columnist=ford_chad&page=DraftWatch-080523

6. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

7. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

If the Heat took Mayo with the #2 pick, I would personally drive to Miami and shoot Pat Riley in the face.

8. scola4president

Mayo will go in the top 5 no doubt about it.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I don't know, generally I don't trust draft predictions past the top two picks, from there on out it's insanity. I saw a lot of his games (I work for the U of A) and I was never to impressed by him to begin with. Who knows? I hope Budinger enters the draft because he'd be a sleeper pick that could really help an already good team, knowing our luck he's gonna go to the Lakers or Spurs.

10. thumbs

11. Williamson

After looking at mock drafts at ESPN, DraftExpress and nbadraft.net, it appears the guys that could be available around pick 13 that we might find enticing are:

Russell Westbrook
    Joe Alexander
    Donte Green
    Chris Douglas-Roberts
    and if he drops a couple spots, DJ Augustine

#11 Williamson, May 23, 2008
    Last edited: May 23, 2008
  12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

I wants Russell Westbrook!

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Can cash be included as part of a trade package?

Players can be traded for cash, and cash can be included in trade packages. The amount of cash is limited to $3 million. The cash is NOT considered when matching salaries under the Traded Player exception.

In a sign-and-trade arrangement, if the contract contains a signing bonus, then any amount of this bonus paid by the signing team counts toward the $3 million limit

Since Dallas spent some Draft Picks on the Kidd trade, Cuban might be interested in buying the Portland pick if it becomes a strictly cash deal.

14. Williamson

I wonder what they want for the pick. I would definitely love a shot at Russell Westbrook. A legit 6-3 point guard would be nice.

I also attend Syracuse University so I've watched Donte Green quite a bit. He isn't the smartest player. He doesn't seem to be the most driven player. Nonetheless, he is 6'10 and an absolutely extraordinary athlete. We could use one of those too.

15. thumbs

Thanks! On another note, did you ever get my email responding to email on the freight discussion?

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You could do:

Shane, Aaron, #25 pick, Next Year 1st Round Pick
    for
    Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye, Sergio Rodriguez, Josh McRoberts, #13 pick

or

Shane, #25 pick, Next Year 1st Round Pick
    for
    Travis Outlaw, Channing Frye, Josh McRoberts, #13 pick

But I don't think that's enough value for Portland...and I think you need to entice them with Aaron and Shane, who would be great adds for their team, but since Travis Outlaw is a BYC player, it is hard to put together a package that works under the salary cap.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Westbrook is the only guy I'd trade for at that spot, and that's if Morey believes he can be our starting PG within two years. If that really is the case, I'd give Brooks for him.

CDR is not deserving of 13, more like 18-20 for him. Joe Alexander is supposedly moving into lottery territory, maybe even 8 or 9.

Actually, I take that back. If Batum is available there, I'd like him also. 6"8 natural SF with great speed and potential on both ends. He was supposed to go in the top 6-7 but he had a bad year for Le Mans in Europe. Still, with his athleticism he could easily turn into a Barbosa, or a Prince.

18. thumbs

They want a solid veteran player or an exceptional PG. Why would they want more draft choices -- they are not only young but youthfully deep. Otherwise, they wouldn't surrender a pick like #13 for a #25 or so.

19. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

$3m is the maximum amount allowed for Cash Condiderations. However, do not confuse this amount with the amount allowed by an NBA team to send to a Euro League team as a buy out. That amount is somewhere around $500k.

20. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Thumbs,

I got you email and need to respond.

GATER

Is there a reason why you brought up the Euro League buyout limit? Draft Express has only a small handful of Euro players listed as First Round prospects.