1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Audio/Electronics Advice] Surround Sound for the Living Room

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Nov 18, 2014.

1. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

they are Canadian made. They are pretty high end. I got them about ten years ago for $1300 a pair. They were the lowest model of the Stratus series at the time, but they outplay anything I've heard so far. For the last year I just used it for my xbox surround sounds which is amazing with the velodyne, but for home theatre they are really legit.

I don't use them, so I am looking to sell them. They could be a really good starter kit for someone looking to get into home theatre but wanted to get an awesome set at a discount.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

PSB is a great brand. Paul S. Barton, a Canadian speaker designer, competes with Mirage and Paradigm (all designed via a Canadian design group). Can't speak to what the guy is selling, but generally PSB would be a speaker well above the OP's budget and would be something he would be happy with for many years.

And Velodyne is a very good sub brand. There are a number of very popular mail order subs that people have flocked to... Hsu and SVS being two that offer a lot for the money.

3. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Agree with Nero and benchmoochie. And PSB makes good speakers. Might want to give that stuff a listen before you buy some cheap stuff that won't ever sound really good even when new.

My 12 year old JBL surround system just died. (I haven't tried to fix it yet).

So, I cleaned my Rotel RX-602 (made in Japan about 1974) and hooked it up to some Canadian made Fluance speakers I bought about 10 years ago, and it sounds considerably better than my JBL surround system does/ did.

That said, no remote, and no hdmi kind of sucks. But, you don't have to mess with running wires across the room. A high quality receiver (2 channel) and good tower speakers can sound every bit as good as most surround systems.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

^^^ Rotel and Fluance... nice! It is a challenge using an older receiver, and not just due to the lack of hdmi (which is a big challenge with home theater). Lots of important switching happens in the receiver and you do want to run everything through the receiver. While getting an older/nicer receiver like an Harmon Kardon or Marantz receiver (or a NAD receiver if you could find one) would provider better sound, you still would be better off getting a brand new receiver from Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo IMO.

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

classy to boot

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Emailed you to your sig.

7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Avoid GPX brand! That's all...;)

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I disagree with that. I used to love Velodyne, but had more than a few issues with their customer service and warranty repairs. I switched my HT and my family's HT to Miller & Kreisel and JL Audio, respectively - four subs for each corner. I'd say these brands are two notches above Velodyne for subs. REL, SVS, and KEF are also brands which I've used and liked very much.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I'm thinking about getting the Sonos play bar. Does anyone have one or have any advice about it?

10. davo

davo Contributing Member

I bought this recently:
    http://www.vizio.com/audio/s4251wb4.html

I know it is Vizio, and not renowned for high quality audio, but my experience so far has been awesome, and it fits my needs perfectly.

The soundbar sits under the TV and connects to the digital output of the TV. The subwoofer and two rear speakers are all connected, but have a wireless connection to the main soundbar unit.

The sound is awesome, and gives a true surround without having to run wires to the front.

As a bonus, it has blue tooth so you can play music from your phone.

11. davo

davo Contributing Member

12. Jamers

Jamers Member

that's one sick gun drawing at the back of your paper, breh.