1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Oilers" ditching baby blue?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Colt45, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Raven

Raven Member

That name has been tainted. As much as I think the Texans is a lame name for our team, I still do not - under any circumstances - want the Oilers name back.

Oh, I almost forget. Burn in Hell, Bud. Burn in Hell - forever. And you never won a SB, either - you fat ####.

2. mick fry

mick fry Member

Ouch!

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I guess I just disagree. I wasn't even alive for Luv Ya Blue and all, but just reading about the Oilers of that era and the connection the city had to the team is exciting. Seems like a team that popular and with that much history would be bigger than any one person.

It's all superficial, but I feel like I would have a stronger connection to the Texans if they were the 'Oilers.'

4. juanm34

juanm34 Member

It would be awsome to bust out my Tony Zendejas jersey!

5. Poloshirtbandit

I didn't really get into the Oilers or any sports until about 1990. Feels kinda weird, but I've been a Texans fan longer than an Oilers fan.

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I don't want the texans to ever wear those oilers gear if they were able to buy the history. Leave it alone, that **** is dead. Roll with the texans, embrace Houston Pro football.

7. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

I left Houston the same time the Oilers did and kept cheering for them. Why the HELL would the Texans want to mess up a less awfuler thing than the Titans for nostalgia's sake?

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Lol, that brings back memories.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

The Oilers was the perfect name for a team in Houston. When a team moves to another city, the name of the team should remain with the original city, and a new name should be chosen for the new city. Having said that, the Oilers are dead and gone, and the Texans are here to stay.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

That's an interesting thought. The Browns kept their name because they threatened immediate lawsuits. Seattle did as well and they now have the Sonics on reserve. I think the NFL sided with Bud Adams though against Houston. There was no sympathy from the NFL in that realm.

I would be happy going back to the color scheme at least.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The only major league team called "Oilers" aren't even in the US and don't even play Football.
    [​IMG]

They do have blue as one of their colors though.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's also the fact that Bud "named" the team, and may not have been willing to part with it so quickly.

There's also the likelihood that Bud was never on-board with a re-brand to Titans, till somebody in the front office told him that they'd make more money with it.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would love, love, love for the Texans to reclaim the name Oilers like the Bobcats did when the name Hornets became available.

Texans? Outside of the Houston metro, no one gives a **** about the Texans.

14. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

LOL and less ****s are given about the Oilers. No good reason to re-name it back to the Oilers, too late for that anyway. But I don't see why we can't buy back the name so the Texans can at least wear throwback jerseys and sell Oilers memorabilia and honor Oilers legends. Bud is a rotting corpse, get it done!

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They could honor the Oilers legends now if they wanted to... St. Louis honors not only the old Rams legens, but the old Cardinals legends as well, and the Cardinals still exist!

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Tell us how you really feel. ;)

17. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What I meant is the name Texans signifies representing the state. Should be called the Houstonians.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I know what a Texan is... not sure what a "houstonian" is...

19. mick fry

mick fry Member

The Houston Houstonians has a nice ring to it.:rolleyes:

20. Buck Turgidson

1836 is available