1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

To Land-Line or Not to Land-Line

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I'm moving, and I'm thinking about completely ditching the land-line telephone in favor of 100% cellular.

I'll be getting online through (most likely) RoadRunner, and I just can't see the point of a land-line.

I know several people who do this. What do ya'll think? Any suggestions for a cellular provider?

As always, thanks.

2. SLA

SLA Member

Well does anyone else on this BBS only use a cell phone? There was something about this on TV...

3. Lynus302

This will get more attention later this evening, I'm sure. Now is a rather low-traffic time, I think.

4. RiceRocket1

RiceRocket1 Member

I don't have a landline. I just go cellular and have Roadrunner. I see no reason to get a phone just for home when I'm already paying for a phone that can go anywhere with me.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm thinking of going all cellular since my roommate is already and i would have to pay the whole landline bill. thinking of getting AT&T national plan for $30/mo (might be too many minutes but the only cheaper one was T-mobile and people seemed to be ripping it in reviews). any comments on good providers and such would be nice for me also.

6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

I havent had a land line for almost 2 years and love it. It saves money and you dont have telemarketers or people calling to talk to your roomate. My cell bill is close to the same as a land line when i lived in waco. The only need for one that i can think of is if you spend a great deal of time talking on the phone during the day. I have also been able to aviod going with an expensive plan by making lengthy calls to my friends and parents during nights/weekends.

francis 4 prez,
    AT&T has worked well for me so far. I just switched over to their next generation network and the reception is great but the coverage area kind of sucks.

7. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Sorry hit reply insted of edit

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe a minor point fo or against, maybe not: cellular does not get you listed in the phone book.

9. Timing

Timing Member

One thing you might want to verify before you decide is how good the cellular service is in the area you're moving into. The quality of service within coverage areas can vary a lot.

Also, you might want to have a second cell phone on hand programmed with your cell number just in case you lose or break your first one. Urgent stuff has a tendency to pop up right after phones get lost.

#9 Timing, Aug 17, 2003
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2003
  10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'm with T-Mobile and recently moved into a new apartment. I planned on using my cell as my only phone, but the reception was horrible inside my apartment. I ended up having to get a landline. I hated having a landline and having two telephone bills, so I checked out AT&T for their 30 day trial. I was able to get good reception with them.
    Before the trial was up I decided to test out a different model T-Mobile phone to see if the reception was any better. To my suprise I get very good reception in my apartment now and have decided to stick with T-Mobile since I am already under contract with them and cancel the landline and the AT&T phones.

11. LeGrouper

LeGrouper Contributing Member

I have only cellular and a cable modem. All the communication I need.

12. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

plan on ditching the ol' land-line soon.

see ya in the next thread....

13. Lynus302

Thanks for the replys. I imagine I'll go cellular-only. All I've got left to do if find a decent plan.

Thanks again....

14. Lynus302

Just one final bump for Monday. Thanks!

15. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I have a land line but I am thinking of going only cellular with a cable modem.

I did the math, and if I ditch the land line and switch my dial-up service to a cable modem, I would be saving $15 a month.

16. drapg

drapg Member

Going 100% cellular was the worst mistake I ever made.

I used only Sprint cellular service in Austin for 1-year. Nothing but dropped calls, missed calls, and non-existant service in my own freakin' apartment. I spent the majority of phone calls running around like an idiot trying to find the "sweet spot" in my home where I could get at least "two bars" of service.

Imagine a 25-year old man running around his apartment at 2am in nothing but his boxers standing on the ledge of his balcony with his arm extended just past a tree and his leg in the air because that was the best location and position to get service... for 90 seconds... just enough time to say "can you hear me now?"

Not a pretty picture.

I've sworn off all cell phones since... I hate them with a passion usually only reserved for John Elway.

Contrary to popular belief, man can live off land-line alone.

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Somebody should put freaks like me who don't have a cell phone in a zoo or something...

I remember using one of these badboys when I was a kid...

[​IMG]

THAT was a great way to keep the phone bill down. If the number wasn't 111-1111, nobody wanted to bother spending five minutes dialing the friggin' thing...

18. no_answer

no_answer Member

Ah that is a hot phone. I wish my cell phone was that big and heavy.

I think a negative thing about only having a cellphone and people KNOWING you only have a cellphone sucks cause they can always reach you. Which isnt always a good thing.

19. Buck Turgidson

You can pay a minimal amount to get listed with your cell number if you so choose.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

you can get a landline for 14.00 or so, have it forwarded to your cell. you never know whats going to go wrong with the cell; thats the primary reason why I wouldn't go strictly with one.