1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[TrueHoop] Is one trip to the free-throw line enough?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Oct 1, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/70581/hoopidea-is-one-trip-to-the-free-throw-line-enough

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i like it especially at the end of games with multiple times outs and free throws. it would cut down on a small part of that.

and i think it would increase the drama a bit because free throws would become even more important if you missed or made one because it could worth 2 or 3 points.

3. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

This is an interesting idea. At first I was wondering if the actual points scored from free throws pre/post rule change would be the same. My first impulse was to question whether the first free throw is significantly lower % due to shooting without "warming up" and I found the below article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/28988/practice-your-free-throws-mid-game

That's pretty significant of a % difference. My conjecture is that the lower % of the 1st freethrow would have a reverse effect - players and coaches would start emphasizing practicing shooting form and shooting cold turkey more intensely. So maybe the league would see improved shooting %s across the board.

It would also be interesting to see the psychological effect of defenders and offensive players. The statistics on paper even out, but would players may put more importance on the value of a free throw shot = higher levels of offensive player foul-baiting, defenders being more careful?

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Bad idea, mainly because of the FT being worth 2 or 3 points, does not make sense. They should just cut down the TV commercials, time-outs and time to take a foul shot. A player should immediately report to the line, get 5 seconds to shoot and get it over with. Not the whole sherade of walking back to mid-court, talking to people and what not.

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Haha, since when does Morey care about the aesthetics of basketball? There is another angle to this

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Free throws are too formal. Ref has to bounce it, too much rituals, etc. Shorten them!

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

This plus eliminating foul-outs would be interesting.

8. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Don't like the idea, they can speed up the game in other ways first.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Sorry Morey, I'm against this. FT attempts are a chance for most players to catch their breath. If we crammed more real playing time into a shorter game time, I think you would see more fatigue, more injuries, sloppier play, and fewer minutes from stars.

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I like this idea. Makes that single free throw even more dramatic.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I love this idea. Speeds up the game and makes free throws much more dramatic.

12. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don't give a damn about shortening the games. Is this about tv time slots or basketball? don't change the rules to fit your marketing ideas, marketing is ruining the game IMO. Want to cut down on the game time? START THE GAMES ON TIME. There is 15 min there, actually time the time outs. 30 sec should be 30 sec not 2.5 min and 1 min should not be 5 min. Then tell the refs to call what they SEE not what they think they saw based on a players reaction, ie floppers.

13. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Why are we trying to speed up the game again? I can DVR a game and get through it in less than one hour. I don't mind watching a whole game live on tv or in the stands. Is our attention span really tha...

14. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Amateur basketball used to have the players shoot the first FT. If it goes in, he gets a 2nd FT. If he misses, he forfeits the 2nd, and everyone fights for the rebounds. It will speed up the game and emphasize hitting that first FT.

15. Da34Box

Da34Box Member

Hack-a-Dwight to the extreme for 46 minutes :eek:

16. rockettes

rockettes Rookie

but i like freethrow shots

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I dislike free throws for reasons beyond the fact that they slow down the game.

18. amaru

amaru Member

What happens in the "and-one" scenario?

Does that disappear or stay the same?

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The league should try harder to stop flopping first. That's how you cut down on FT shooting.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here's a better idea for shortening games: reduce the number of timeouts. They are so annoying and IMO shackling the growth of NBA viewership outside the US.